PDA

View Full Version : Banks Big Head Wastegate

Kennedy
05-08-2004, 05:14
Skeptical as I may be, there seems to be a strong potential for this thing. I'm not so sure that I like the way the nipple orients, and a simple coupling nut/turnbuckle would be nice, but it does seem to hold in nicely. I had an OE unit with a turnbuckle in it and had it cranked up quite a bit. It would hit 34 peak, but seemed to drop off and drift a lot. The Banks seems to hold closer to 34psi much better. I only had a few runs on it to test, and I need to clear the orifice in my back psi gauge so I can read that again, but it looks promising!

I did a quick and VERY crude test with an air hose to compare the two, and found that at pressures lower than what it took to fully extend the unit (they bot bottom in the 45psi-ish range) the OE unit would bounce on extension. In other words, extend, retract, extend whereas the Banks would hold steady.

It will be a bit, but I do intend to map the boost out on the dyno. Just need to get my PSI and EGT panels in and installed...

More Power
05-08-2004, 12:42
I have a problem with nipple orientation sometimes too..... :D

Glad you're experimenting with the Banks system.

MP

Kennedy
05-08-2004, 16:05
Just called Tough Guy and told him they were 180

2L MAN
05-23-2004, 21:22
John, did you say 34 psi of boost? How much boost is safe. I installed the banks waste gate @ 7 turns, and develop about spike at about 27 psi and runappox 24 steady. can I shorten up even more to gain more boost?

Kennedy
05-24-2004, 06:23
It takes a lot of fuel and a lot of heat to cross 30 psi. I'd stick with what you have right now. Those who run excessive boost tend to blow up turbos.

Below 30 is where I'd suggest you stay. Unfortunately, Banks has only given the option for full turns :rolleyes: on their adjustment. I dunno how much difference a full turn will make...

DIESELMAX403
05-25-2004, 08:29
Kennedy,

With exception to the BigHead actuator, I installed a Banks TLC on my truck a few weeks ago and with the factory wastegate achieved 22-23 psi without towing a load. I then installed the BigHead per instructions and my boost dropped to 18 psi. I then proceeded to adjust it three times for a total of 6 additional turns just to get 22 psi. At this point I put back on the stock wastegate. I think its time to send the BigHead back to Banks.

What was your boost with the stock actuator? According to Banks I was suppose to get 18 psi stock, but I am actually getting 22 psi. With the Banks, I had trouble just getting it to 22 psi. How many turns did it take you to raise your boost 1 psi?

Dieselmax403

Kennedy
05-25-2004, 14:26
I think I went in 8 turns vs 7 suggested. I'd like to try 8.5 next as I can already hit 34 psi.

Boost is also a function of fueling and if the heat energy is not there, you will not get boost.

I think if you tried a different module you'd be surprised...

bwpody_16
01-18-2005, 09:25
i just bought a banks big head waste gate, can i run that with out any other mods, or do i need to put exhaust and an air intake system first???

Nix
01-18-2005, 20:26
Kennedy,
Can the stock wastegate be adjusted to open later? If so, will I get a noticeable power increase or is it only relevant if I am using a power module? What are your thoughts on the Banks Big Hoss(6 gun bundle & intercooler) for the LB7? Banks claims 0-60 of 6.8 seconds on an unloaded 1 ton! Pretty impressive, but I would like to know if anyone as verified these numbers. Also, if a power module is advertised as monitoring the tranny for slip, is it safe to assume if the tranny is beefed that the module will apply more power? Thanks