PDA

View Full Version : Welding undercarraige of Dmax

Tractorhauler
05-08-2004, 10:13
What has to be done with the batteries to weld on the bottom of my dmax?
I need to strengthen the support of my running boards and would like to mig weld some supports.
Thanks,

Mark

More Power
05-08-2004, 12:37
Earlier this week while the Project Duramax was in the paint shop, I asked them to weld in a couple of reinforcement plates on the end of the frame rails to make it ready for a hidden receiver hitch. They did.... I didn't ask them to do anything special with the vehicle batteries. In at least this case, there was no ill effect.

MP

MIKE WIENER
05-08-2004, 13:54
THE BATTERIES SHOULD BE DISCONECTED AS WELL AS THE COMPUTER. CHECK YOUR OWNERS BOOK AS WELL AS A LOCAL TRAILER HITCH SHOP. YOU RUN THE RISK OF FRING THE COMPUTER WHEN WILDING ON THE TRUCK.

Tractorhauler
05-08-2004, 16:15
Thanks guys,

I know that with my John Deere tractors we always try to disconnect the battery when welding but I had never thought of the 'puter........probably would not take much to fry that baby.

Mark

jared
05-15-2004, 17:41
I couldn't count the number of times I've welded on the truck. My gooseneck hitch plate is welded in. I pull a 30ft flatbed with steel on it all the time and am always welding something to the steel on the trailer all the time.

Idle_Chatter
05-16-2004, 03:36
I MIG-welded my exhaust system on the truck, as well as a couple of brackets. There's a "risk" of damage to the electronics, but it's not absolutley gonna happen. I took no precautions and had no ill effects. I DID try to keep the welder's ground clamp as close to the work as possible.

Burner
05-18-2004, 11:58
I think Ira hit it right on the head, ground placement. I would be too lazy to disconnect any wires if I were welding after the cab. However, I would not take the risk of welding any closer to the puter without disconnecting it first.

my .02 worth

Burner----------> :D