PDA

View Full Version : No fix for our injectors as of yet, says GM

dmaxalliTech
10-15-2003, 09:21
Sorry the Subject field was alittle scary, just wanted to grab attention. I talked with 3 engineers today, which were in some way afilitated with the D-max. I found out that the new injectors went into all trucks built after 12-01. The problem they feel is that the injectors are developing hairline cracks that may not show up until high fuel pressure is developed. This is what is allowing fuel/oil dilution. The redesign was to address this problem but has failed. We talked in great length regarding additional filtration and th Racor setup that is being tested in Canada which is supposed to be a dealer installed OPTION. The salesmen is to try and sell it as additional at the time of sale. "Sir, thanks for purchasing your 45k truck, but we need to add the 150.00 filter setup to get you through warr"!!! I showed him the Mega and the Racor setup and he was familier with both of them.. I asked him about cavitation/air in system and its potential problems, he said there is none whatso ever and that some air should be expected in system. He mentioned the clear line test and a perfect operating system will have bubbles. I asked him why he thought that injectors were failing and he said contamination and water. Hearing that I come to the conclusion out loud that the oem filter setup is junk, he didnt like that at all. Biggest problem he is seeing is customers not changing the fuel filter often enough. He stuck with the 15k rule on them. They are well aware of the situation and at this point have no idea the exact fix for the problem. The LLY will surely help in the diag standpoint and the labor to replace.. They will go from a 96 volt system to a 48 volt system also, not sure on why. I would imagine less heat in the FICM and would require less cooling. When mentioning lift pumps, his biggest concern was damage to the FICM, not damage to the HPP as I would have thought. I told him we only run at about 1-2 psi, just enough to put system under pressure. Long story short, GM at this point dont know what to do about our little problem

Idle_Chatter
10-15-2003, 09:31
Thanks for the update and all the great info, Eric. Too bad my 08/01 build is "early injector!" I do have my Kennedy Megafilter installed now. I kept my hose runs as short and direct as possible, have not vented since the initial fill and am tracking startups and miles to see if I have any issues before venting. Of course, in 1,400 miles I'll be at my 75,000 mile service interval and will be changing out the OEM filter which will have 15,000 on it by then. Looking at the internals of my removed OEMs I was pretty sure that our system is "vapor friendly" and wasn't worried about a vapor pocket in the Mega short of a fail to start anyway. My idle has smoothed out since installing the Mega and my mileage seems up, but will have to complete the current tank to be sure. Keep up the good flow of information. Thanks again for your efforts for the Duramax Day. Pictures are in my PICS link.

Kennedy
10-15-2003, 09:45
15k is too long for the OE filter IMHO.

I sent a 9k filter to Mdrag who reported it at 4/5ths used, and I have remarkably clean pump fuel. I just split my OE (more news next week) at 5,250 and lift pump and found it to be relatively dark on the entire element...

I change my OE fuel filter with my oil and the Mega will go to 20-30k based on results of 15k inspection...

andrewfessler
10-15-2003, 10:03
ok, so now you all have me worried. I have 7k miles now on the 03 and am thinking I outta change the factory filter.

I know John's response to this next question, but I am going to ask it anways.

If I change the OEM filter more frequntly, should I still consider putting a second fuel filter in.

Second, for my old 6.5 I almost always pulled fuel from a tank I had at the shop. I had it filled by a local fuel company about once a month. They pick their fuel up from the regional fuel center, same place most of the major local stations get it. Direct from the pipeline. I never had a problem with the 6.5.

I havent done this with the new truck, but probably will soon. I usually put a fuel stabalizer in the storage tank during the winter.

Thoughts?

I didn't have a filter on the fuel tank though.

Kennedy
10-15-2003, 10:25
I've got 50k on mine, and the first 30k were with only the OE filter. I had fuel in oil at one time, but haven't in a long time.

I haven't replaced any injectors in mine yet, but will likely do some HP units once I have a KNOWN balanced set in hand.

Idle_Chatter
10-15-2003, 10:35
15K works for me. I change oil and oil full-flow filter at 7500. Change oil, oil full-flow, oil bypass and fuel filters at every other change, or 15k. I've cut open all but my first OEM fuel filter (three of four changed so far) and never had discoloration greater than about 2/3 up on my filter medium. I wouldn't want to go much further than 15k, but short of getting a contaminated load of fuel I'm very comfortable with that interval.

fredw
10-15-2003, 11:03
"ok, so now you all have me worried. I have 7k miles now on the 03 and am thinking I outta change the factory filter"

i think we have to take this fuel filter thing with a grain asalt, areas of geographicly higher moisture, fuel quality, no fuel conditoners used, will need more attention in this area in the filtration department, my service manager says, in his area not really a issue, but then again i have not looked at mine yet

andrewfessler
10-15-2003, 11:13
ok, i think for now I'll stick with stock fuel filter setup. However, I will change it frequently.

What is a good source for a filter, does Kennedy sell an OEM or bette filter, or should I just stick with an aftermarket filter.

Sigh, spend all this money on a truck, and still stuck with spending more ...

mackin
10-15-2003, 11:28
Changing to soon is the same as changing to late IMO .... Filtering capabilities should great'in as the larger pours are partially blocked with debris in the filter media, resulting in finer media ....
I'd stick to the MFG. (GM) recommendations of documented 10,000 mile intervals ... Just My opinion ... I'll leave the scientific side to the scientist ...

Mac