PDA

View Full Version : Switching oil brands????

Jimamatic
09-01-2002, 22:17
I'm thinking of switching from Dello 400 to
Rotella T 15-40w. Heard it's a better oil.
Any thoughts?? I also heard it is not a good
idea to switch brands often because the different properties of each brand can be hard on your
engine. In other words, pick a brand and stay
with it. Any truth to this??
Jim.

-------------
2001 Chevy 4x4 2500hd d/a cc sb

Piney
09-01-2002, 23:07
Jim,
Talk to 10 people and get you'll get 10 different stories on which oil is better. Here's my take:

Chevron and Shell both make good oil and you won't go wrong with either.
It's generally accepted that you should pick a brand of oil and stick with it because the additive package of one may not 'get along' with the additive package of another. I know a bunch of people who never pay a bit of attention to what brand they use. They buy the cheapest oil and switch brands accordingly and I've never seen them have an oil related problem.
Personally, I like to stay with one brand (Delo). Which ever one you choose, change it regularly and you'll have no worries smile.gif

JEBar
09-02-2002, 06:34
Agree with Piney .... I've been using Rotella T and have considered going the synthetic route but just can't make myself do so...have had way too much good experience with Rotella in other equipment to change .... know that any number of other folks can say the same about whatever they use...recommend you select a brand that you have confidence in and put your mind at ease on this issue...Jim

IndigoDually
09-02-2002, 09:40
I switch oil types and brands seasonally. I use Rotella during the warmer months and use Amsoil Synthetic in the winter. I use synthetic in the winter for it's cold weather properties because my truck sits at work all day without the block heater being plugged in. I extend my drail interval slightly for the winter months with the synthetic but I try to change it at around 3500.

I have used Rotella and Delo and I have gotten a smell for about 1500 to 2000 mi. before it goes away. There is a smell with the Amsoil also but I think it goes away quicker.

BTW the "Tick" is still there intermittantly no matter what oil I use.

John

Silver Bullet
09-06-2002, 08:26
Jim,
I went the other way...Rotella to Delo 400. I had the dreaded tick with the Rotella and I have not had it with the Delo 400.

ThePend
09-06-2002, 08:32
IMHO, Its OK to switch brands at anytime. Just as long as you dont mix different grades or dino with syn oil.

IndigoDually
09-06-2002, 17:55
I still had the tick with Delo and the smell was the worst of any others. You can mix synthetic with dino but you are diminishing the benefit of using synthetic due to diluting it with another that lacks the same properties.

John

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

cabdoors
09-10-2002, 14:29
I have thrashed my diesel (only when I had to) and never a whimper. I have always used Rotella T.