View Full Version : newbie back

nampadmax
10-16-2003, 15:02
I could use some clarification from some of you who've already been down this road. I've been following, carefully, all the conversations on the forum page. My question has to do with 4" exhaust. I've seen many references to Banks 4", and other systems. I was curious because the GMC 2500HD D/A I recently purchased had 4" Stainless Steel exhaust and muffler. I called GM and they said that was stock. Why are some feeling the need to switch out exhaust systems?

Burner
10-16-2003, 15:19
The system isn't that bad, it's pretty good. However, the exhaust is a 3&1/2 system with a "chokeing" muffler and bends that keep it quiet. A good exhaust will lower EGT's and increase flow. It's just simple science, skin friction of the pipe ect, bla, blah, bla. The muffler alone will help but a complete kit will have better bends and muffler. Yes, a system will increase the db's 7 to 15% but will return better fuel economy and performance, not to mention the sound is pUnK! A stock truck can see 7 to 13% increase in power from an exhaust. ;) That means the exhaust will "not void" anything and still give you better MPG and performance--> @ the wheel.

---- OD = Outside and ID = Inside the pipe. ;)

Burner--------> :D

nampadmax
10-16-2003, 15:59
thanks, burner, I figure if I hang around here lonh enough some of this is bound to rub off!