PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Suburban - What's it Worth???

TrboDzl Tahoe
12-09-2003, 21:09
Here's my problem. I've got a 96' 2Dr 6.5 tahoe but I need more room. I've come across a 96' 2500 4x4 6.5 suburban but other than kelly blue book where's a good resource for pricing something like that??? I just replaced the injector pump on my tahoe and don't want to have to deal with that on another truck! This suburban is on it's 3rd injector pump and last april had the PMD replaced only after 1&1/2 years. Are some engines just bad on pumps??? Oh and by the way, it's got 288,000 miles on it!!! Should I give up on this one and keep looking? I'll be getting my first look at it tomorrow but need some help with the price and what components to be worried about with such high milage. Thanks for you comments.
Nick

Johnny B.
12-09-2003, 21:17
Chck out Ebay auto, there are usually a handful or more diesel suburbans avaiable. I have noticed that there are a few dealers in Florida and Texas who list on Ebay that sell many diesel suburbans.

Also try trader online classified, do the detailed search, you can list some of the options that you want to find.

http://www.traderonline.com/

cudaaa
12-10-2003, 04:52
check N.A.D.A
http://www.nada.com/

john8662
12-10-2003, 07:29
better yet, www.nadaguides.com (http://www.nadaguides.com) takes you right to the guides for pricing vehicles.

There are always at least 2 diesel suburbans on ebay at a time it seems. I would think a fair deal for a 95-97 model would be $10k with about 100k or less miles. 98-99 models usually sell for about $15k with average mileage for the year.

Look real close for a clean one, if its got an electric brake control in it and it a 94-96 model, stay away from it. Those don't have the cooling mods necessary for pulling. And if it have the electric brake controller in it, its probably pulled some big trailors. I only say this because it helps to find a truely clean rig. one that the engine isn't gonna blow up in after a year of ownership. Pulling isn't a problem for a 6.5, just some rigs that are used
for sale on ebay might have been traded in because they were abused.

I own an 95, it didn't have the cooling mods, I installed the cooling mods on it to keep things in check. I installed robertshaw high flow thermostats in the 180 degree variety. I have pulled some loads down the highway with this rig. I have full gauges installed, I can't imagine pulling without the coolings mods. I am still working on cooling issues with a big load concerning Exaust Temps. Fix? Exaust upgrade!

good luck, fun rigs to drive, a little bumpy though, especially compared to a 2 door tahoe as the burbs are all stiff 3/4 ton.

[ 12-11-2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

ucdavis
12-10-2003, 14:21
@ 288K I'd be worried about only those parts that are above the pavement.
I'd have the oil tested for sure.
If it's cheap enough & basically straight, I'd seriously consider an 18:1 rebuild, complete w/timing gears, HO cooling, intercooler (long as the whole thing's apart why not?), etc.

additive
12-11-2003, 10:20
if its got an electric brake control in it and it a 95-96 model, stay away from it. Those don't have the cooling mods necessary for pulling My 96 has the cooling mods in it from the factory. (and an electric brake controler)

autocrosser
12-11-2003, 11:12
Late 96 engines came with the dual thermostat and HO water pump.

john8662
12-11-2003, 13:31
"Late 96" thats the key, some 96 models had it, some didn't. I really need to add in that quote that 1994-1996 models might be suspect if they have pulled. Because most of these models don't have the "1997 cooling mods" installed. Just info from a picky buyer for a picky buyer.

Previous post edited, got my facts right, they did make a diesel burb in 94.

[ 12-11-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]