PDA

View Full Version : Saw and Heard an '03 Cummins

Rebel_Horseman
09-03-2002, 18:32
Driving home today I passed the local Dodge stealership and saw in front an '03 3500 Dually. Stopped by to do some investigating. Managed to get the salesman to crank it up for me (a test drive was out of the question...the greedy owner won't even let the salesmen drive it). I have to say that the "new" Cummins is almost as quiet as a Duramax. I opened the hood and still could talk to the salesman without raising my voice. The engine bay is tight and the interior is pretty much the same as the half-ton's that you have been seeing everywhere except for the different tach for the diesel. Standing beside the motor with the hood closed it was about as loud as a Duramax. The HO engine is only available with the 6-speed for now, but they are getting a 4-speed auto late in themodle year from what I hear. All in all it was a pretty sharp looking truck, but it's still a Dodge. Just my $0.02 worth.

Reb [><]

Big O
09-03-2002, 18:36
Hey Reb,
How about giving me your email address, or contact me at mine--in sig.

Rebel_Horseman
09-03-2002, 18:40
Big O - holler at me at cowboybinkz71@cs.com

BradL
09-04-2002, 06:19
I too have heard the "new" Cummins, and have been for a test drive - a crew cab long box 2wd (a Mopar buddy has a crew cab short box 2wd on order due to arrive any day).

The "new" Cummins is every bit as quiet and as smooth as the Duramax - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

IMO, the cabin of the Dodge is still not on par with GM's - the front seat room is good, but the back seat room seems smaller.

pepperidge
09-04-2002, 07:58
Big O,

Have you run over Brittney Spears Yet? LOL

Every time my sister in law comes in town from Iowa, she wants my wife and I to take her to find that place. Real fun stuff But I always seem to be changing an exhaust bearing on the Dmax ;)
GM should probably recall those, Dont you think?

Amianthus
09-04-2002, 09:00
I think the new Dodge is quieter than the Dmax. Although, quiet isn't my thing. I had the chance to see one of the prototype Dodges at the Thunder in Muncie. The only thing you could hear running was the vacuum pump. I'm not kidding. My Grand Prix is louder than that thing was.

Be carefull about imitation. This engine system has been in use in Europe well before the Dmax was on the scene. It's only now being put to use in the United States. So who's imitating who?

On the aspect of the cab. I have to give it to GM. DC really screwed the pooch in the new cab design, as I see it anyway. It's nice, don't get me wrong. But the GM interior is just a touch nicer. I like the gauges of the Dodge, but the GM really does have some neat features. So kudos to GM for making a better interior.

My opinion.

hoot
09-04-2002, 09:33
Amianthus,

Is it basically the same injection system as the Dmax? Bosch HPCR? Same pump and injectors?

More Power
09-04-2002, 12:12
Moved to "General Diesel"