PDA

View Full Version : Installed BD Power Xtreme Airbox tonight

c5dura
09-03-2002, 19:40
The install took about 30 minutes. As far as pulling the OEM airbox, the only issue was removing the MAF as it was attached with two special torx screws with a solid center. Had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get 'em off.

I'd rate fit as okay (I had to trim the base for the MAF on the new unit for a proper seal), and the screw holes weren't perfectly lined up with the unit, not no biggie.

The only major gribe I had was that the angle of the tube welded to the airbox itself meant that I had to force the factory airtube quite a bit to get it on, but I can see how improving the angle would make the K&N filter not fit properly inside the air box.

Does anyone make an aluminum air tube to go between the air box and the turbo that would eliminate this issue?

This would also get rid of that black plastic sound damper on top the engine (the one that says 6.6 turbo diesel). This is just a sound damper, right?

Went for a test drive and loved the additional whine from the turbo, but my SOTP didn't register much extra power.

But that's okay as I plan to add the Banks exhaust next and then the Power Loader. I think that will be when the cool/free flowing intake will really help out.

hoot
09-03-2002, 21:18
I know a guy that sent his back to BD because it didn't fit. He also ordered 4" exhaust for a reg cab from them. They sent him one for an ext cab.

I hate it when they do stuff like that. This just happened recently so BD will know that news travels quick.