PDA

View Full Version : INTAKE

jsa
09-11-2003, 17:05
WHAT is the intake of choice AFE stage 2? KN ?

mackin
09-11-2003, 17:43
Originally posted by***a:
WHAT is the intake of choice AFE stage 2? KN ? Check out the search feature should give you some opinions .... Has been some discussions ....

I'm running the AFE stage II and like it ....

Mac

motovet
09-12-2003, 09:01
I have run the AFE for some time now and I like it too. The fit leaves a little to be desired though it is to long...DUH! If you want to whistle while you work you must have this set up...it sings. Mac, I remember you were going to alter the tube on yours. What did you end up doing?

NETMINDER
09-12-2003, 09:07
From what I understand you don't gain a bit of HP or TQ just a sweet sound and a littles turbo lag.

mackin
09-12-2003, 18:46
Originally posted by motovet:
I have run the AFE for some time now and I like it too. The fit leaves a little to be desired though it is to long...DUH! If you want to whistle while you work you must have this set up...it sings. Mac, I remember you were going to alter the tube on yours. What did you end up doing? I never did anything sep crush the filter cleats ... :rolleyes: \There isn't much you can do ... Shorten turbo end ,mount to box wont reach ... The other end has a raised shoulder for air cleaner snug clamp fit ...

Mac :confused:

RichBailey
09-12-2003, 19:42
The AFE stage 2 is a nice lookin intake. However, their engineers can't measure. The tube is too long. I called the company and they gave me the standard line - "duh, we never have heard any complaints".

Since it was obvious that they weren't going to admit to a design flaw and therefore have to correct it - I fixed it.

First of all, you need to buy a 4" hump hose and two 4" screw clamps. Next take a look at your system and decide about how much too long the pipe is. Mine was 1.5" too long. Cut that amount out of the center and reconnect everything with the hump hose. Works perfect and gives additional isolation from the engine vibration.

Don't remember where I got the hose, but do a google search. It is a standard big rig item. Total cost was about $20.

09-13-2003, 01:08
Just put my aFe Stage 2 setup in and it fit fine. You have to be careful installing the element however. Get the ProGaurd 7 media filter. They are much sronger and filter much more. Had 10ppm Si with the original blue filter and 3ppm with the gold ProGaurd 7 filter . You will love the sound if you like turbos.

gassedracing
09-13-2003, 05:00
I'm running an AEM Brute Force system and so far so good. No codes tripped, nice turbo whine and a super clean install.

cmadmaxman
09-13-2003, 07:47
1822, do you have an Si count with the OEM filter?
The last 3 test I had was 16,24 and 16 Si.

I just (1600 miles ago) went to the stage 2 hoping to reduce my Si count. I do not have a sock on yet but thinking about if the Si goes down that much. I was able to keep my cover on my 01 by cutting out some of the cover to clear the monster intake. Pic's on the link with it installed.

RichBailey
09-13-2003, 08:57
I too was very concerned about dirt intake after a previous bad experience with a K&N filter on a Dodge Ram. Here are my silicon measurements at each oil change:

Before AFE, 20300 mi - 10ppm
After AFE, 25090 mi - 7ppm
After AFE, 29400 mi - 8ppm

I have the yellow prefilter over the standard oiled filter. Don't know if it helps or not, but it does keep water and major dirt off of the main filter element.

09-15-2003, 01:35
cmadmaxman- I had a Si count of 9 and 10 last two samples with Amsoil foam filter. With the Pro Gaurd 7 element got a count of 4. When I had the blue aFe element on with the yellow sock prefilter my engine would stall occasionally after a hard drive. Upon restart everything was fine with no SES lights. I think the sock is too restrictive because after changing to the yellow filter the stalling has stopped altogether and I can really feel a differance in the throttle response.

tysmith
09-15-2003, 16:10
No first hand info, but I've heard of people having issues with K&N, ie: high Si counts.

How about the UNI- filter? JK has 'em, and they are supposed to be top notch. I know they're new, but I'm wondering if they're better than the amsoil.

Ty

cmadmaxman
09-17-2003, 19:32
Where can you get the "Pro Gaurd 7" filter. Not much luck in searchin for it!

Also does UNI make one that will go on the stage 2?

DMax_Doug
09-22-2003, 06:51
cmadmaxman,

The ProGuard 7 filters come from AFE, and are available through AFE resellers. Retail price for the ProGuard 7 is $110.25 vs. $73.50 for the 4-ply cotton element included in the AFE kit.

The guy I spoke with at AFE said the ProGuard 7 is more restrictive but achieves better filtration (as shown above). His recommendation for performance applications would be to use the 4-ply cotton element with the prefilter, and use the ProGuard 7 for harsh operating environments where performance was not a factor.

Doug