PDA

View Full Version : The Juice and the General

mcfly
06-03-2002, 21:02
I have got a question for all of my fellow "Juicers". Does the de-fuelling during shifts ever stop or get better? It feels like I am running through short deep mud puddles when the tranny shifts. Is it me or does this device (the Juice) really magnify the inadequacies of the GM programming of the Allison tranny? Note I said the GM programming, I do not think there is anything wrong w/ this transmission itself. It appears that GM would prefer a medium duty transmission have the shift characteristics of a Yugo. I guess there are too many soccer moms purchasing diesel pickup trucks and they don't like it when they can feel the gears shifting.

Everyone who has the Juice pay attention to the following. In the morning when you drive the truck check out the shift characteristics prior to your truck reaching operating temperature. They are firm and quick (at least they are on mine) as they should be ALL THE TIME. Once the truck reaches operating temp and the Juice reached its full potential, the mushy sloppy shifting starts and takes away from the whole Juice experience.

For those of you who will suggest that I try the 50 to 0 down shift, I have already done so, 4 times in a row. I did not make a difference.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: mcfly ]</p>

pepperidge
06-03-2002, 21:07
Did you buy yours from a high price dealer or a panhandler? Maybe that's the Problem :D ;)

I cant wait till I can save a couple hundred more dollars then Maybe I can have the same problems you're having!!

Hope it works out :D

mackin
06-03-2002, 21:19
pepperidge ,

LMAO ==&gt; tongue.gif :D smile.gif :D ;)

You got me there ........ DAM ........

MAC

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

ALLIMAX
06-04-2002, 08:18
What you are feeling during the shift points is the torque converter unlocking. In the tow/haul mode it locks up in 2-5th gears and it takes time to unlock and then relock the torque converter.

hoot
06-04-2002, 08:36
What you are feeling is the computer controlling the shift so as not to cause a conflict between two clutch engagements. The extra power only exaggerates it. A power-on shift may not be possible with the current technology. It's a lot more complicated because this transmission has no bands or sprag clutches that take up the load during a shift. This tranny shifts a lot like a manual. It lets one clutch off then engages another while de-fueling in between. I do not believe the Juice does anything (as far as the Allison goes) except monitor the slip signal and trigger de-fueling .

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mcfly
06-04-2002, 09:44
Hoot/Alli

I guess I do not understand. As I said in my origional post, when the engine is cold and the Juice is not "fully" functional, the tranny shifts very firm and precise the way I believe it should be all the time. As the engine comes up to operating temp the shifts become sloppy. I am hoping the fellas that have had the Juice for a long time HAD this problem and it has worked its self out.

I will do a few passes w/ the tow/haul mode on and let you know if it feels the same.

Thanks

-Rick

g_abbott
06-04-2002, 12:18
Keep in mind that the Juice is not fully functional until the water has reached 170F. This is probably the cause for the differences you feel as the truck warms up. I understand that it is designed to briefly defuel at the shift points to ensure that no TC or gear slippage occurs. This is a characteristic that I don't enjoy but the guys at Edge ALMOST have me convinced is a necessary evil. I'm afraid they are all supposed to act like this.