PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side

Swayse
09-04-2002, 20:14
Hey guys, I'd just like to say hi, I'm a new proud owner of a GMC with an Isuzu Diesel and Allison trany. I come from the dark side... or did I go to the dark side? Anyway, old truck was a 2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2" lift in the front, 315 75 16 on the stock 16 x 8 wheels, stage 1 DD injectors and comp box, good for 14.26 at 93 mph with a 5 speed stick. Bought the truck for $31,500 and put 73,000 miles on it and sold it for $23,000. Didn't want the same thing again, so I bought my Isuzu. It sure has alot of power for a stock truck, 16.3 at 81.7 mph. Don't know if I'll chip it or not, I'll stay stock for now.

I've really enjoyed reading the forums, been reading for awhile now, thanks.

hoot
09-04-2002, 20:26
Welcome Swayse,

It's always cool to hear the convert stories. Looks like you did pretty good with resale on the Dodge.

What made you go GMC and not Navistar?

Swayse
09-04-2002, 21:39
I don't know about the Navistar, I guess the fuel injection system they have rubs me wrong, and I don't like that they run the crank case blow by through the turbo, intercooler, and motor. Brother-in-law always drove a PSD, a few thousand miles and the motor would be covered with oil.

I took off the Duramax emblems and put some nice Isuzu ones in their place, looks good. Freaks people out.

conradv
09-05-2002, 11:32
Got any pictures on the net?

turbokid
09-05-2002, 11:52
I have Isuzu/Allison. :D :D :D
http://www.picturetrail.com/turbokid
of course, I have a 6BD1TA Isuzu and an AT542 Allison, but...

Hey Swayse, where did you get your stickers?

Jelisfc
09-05-2002, 12:35
Turbokid, How does your setup run? Reminds me of a collage friend who had a V6 478ci GMC diesel in a '77 blazer coupled to the factory 4spd. i couldn't tell if it was his blazer or the garbage truck in the morning!!!

Swayse
09-05-2002, 15:45
Frank Brown in Lubbock sells GMCs and Isuzus and some other makes too. I drove around the lot until I found an Isuzu emblem that I liked. I think it's off a 2002 Rodeo, the little Isuzu emblem on the back. I went to the parts counter and ordered them. They are about 1" high and about 5" long and they are chrome. No pictures on the net, I'm not that high tech yet. Truck still has the plain gray steal wheels, I should get my new wheels and tires next week.

When I have the time and money, I'd like to put a 4 cylinder 4.3 cummins in a like 85 Chevy 4x4, or a Jeep CJ. That won't be any time soon.

Thanks guys.

Swayse
09-05-2002, 15:58
I wish I could have found some Isuzu Diesel emblems, that would be even better.

Turbokid, I love your truck, I can't believe the motor fit. How heavy is that engine?

DMAXDiva
09-05-2002, 17:09
Welcome Swayse!

Nice to hear from another West Texan (I'm a Lubbock native, East Texas transplant). Since Seminole is so close to the Hub City, make sure and check out Diesel Injection Services out on the Slaton Highway...a great place for all things diesel. I'll warn ya though, don't make the same mistake I did and take a credit card...I ended up with a couple grand worth of new toys (hey, at least it wasn't a truckload of designer shoes and handbags, right? :rolleyes: A girl must have her priorities!)

Good luck with the new truck!

turbokid
09-08-2002, 14:30
Jelisfc- This thing runs pretty good... :D
I can pull hills with my jeep in tow no problem, 0-60 is about 15 seconds (I need a G-Tech).
Overall, I love this engine, starts right up everytime, sounds good, and on and on... :D
My dad had a Toroflow diesel in a 1972 ford... he put it in 300 miles after he bought the truck new... :cool:

Swayse- I've been looking for the Isuzu diesel emblems, too, I can get the "Intercooled Turbo Diesel" ones that come off the front of the cabovers for $8, but it don't say isuzu :(
I love my truck too, :D next step is to give it a good paint job... The engine barely fits, it's got about half inch clearance between it and firewall and about 3/4 - 1 inch clearance between the fan and radiator... :eek: The engine is around 1000 pounds, officially is it's 455 kg dry, (I think about 1003 pounds) plus 11 1/2 quarts oil, coolant, etc...
But, my three leaf front springs seem to be holding up pretty well so far...
Any questions? :D