PDA

View Full Version : GM's Diesel Future In Their Own Hands

sk
08-14-2002, 07:11
Well, it looks like GM will actually own diesel designs once again:

http://www.gm.com/cgi-bin/pr_display.pl?3138

If I read it right it sounds like GM is reducing their stake in Isuzu Motors but increasing their stake in DMAX LTD, as well as completely buying the designs of a few of Isuzu's diesels.

Scott

csimo
08-15-2002, 20:17
Let's hope that Isuzu finds a way to stay in DMAX, Ltd. I personally don't want GM to own the entire operation. GM has a very bad track record for diesel engines, and engines in general recently (all the knocking V-8's).

GM has a history of trying to cut corners to make more money. The Duramax is strong, but even minor alloy changes could turn it into a dog real quick.

Let's hope that Isuzu stays in DMAX! We need their expert diesel knowledge that GM doesn't have.

Moderators: This thread needs to be in the Duramax section. It's a major issue that directly pertains to the future of the Duramax.

[ 08-15-2002: Message edited by: csimo ]</p>

More Power
09-05-2002, 10:41
In my opinion, GM lacked commitment in the late 80-s thru the 90's, in regards to their diesel products. It took a certain degree of leadership to launch the Duramax 6600 program, and I think they now understand just how huge the diesel light-truck market is and how important a competitive diesel powertrain is to their HD pickup line.

Yes, I hope as well that Isuzu remains a part of DMAX. Their commitment to successful diesel engines is well documented.

MP

Frasan
09-05-2002, 18:52
GM bought into Izuzubecause they needed the diesel expertise. Lets hope they remember why they were so far behind Ford and Dodge in the first place.The fact is sometimes its cheaper to buy R&D than it is to develope it. Hence their involvment with Izuzu in the first place.
Does anyone really think that an organization with the resources of GM can t build a quality diesel if they were to commit themselves to this type of project,remember that we are talking about a company with more resources than most Governments. Of course GM has to support this engine with whatever it takes with warranty otherwise they are out of the diesel business once and for all.
Regards Frasan

SledZep
09-07-2002, 10:26
Frasan, it's all about money not commitment. No matter what resources you have (cash) or who does the designing (Isuzu/GM) If the bean counters say "no not profittable enough that way, find another cheaper way to do it" that is what happens.
If the bean counters can ruin a company like Mercedes where engineering always ruled, they can certainly do it at GM. The record is there to prove it. In a year or two someone will come along with a plan that will lessen the quality of something "Slightly" (with little adverse risk) while increasing profits healthily and the slide to the bottom begins.
The best way to keep GM making greast trucks is to switch to Ford or Dodge if they are making a better truck when it's time to buy. Chevy has my complete loyalty till it's time to research my next truck. Then all cards are on the table.