PDA

View Full Version : ??? Idling and Cooldown

mackey_62
06-04-2002, 09:34
I used to be involved with maintenance of trucks in local Fire Dept. One problem we used to have was antifreeze "leaking" into engine oil. Always waited anxiously for oil analysis to come back. Cause was generally accepted to be excessive idling times, whether on calls or training the trucks are running until back in the house. Drivers frequently didn't turn up to high idle. Anyway, engine(s) were Detroit 6V92's (2-cycle if not familiar). One mechanic that also helped said high idle would prevent this problem.

Finally my question.... Do we need to worry about this with Dmax's? Perhaps this was a problem inherit to Detroit or 2-cycles? Can't remember his reason for saying high idle would help. I'm always kicking myself for not letting motor cool down before shut-off, but this excessive idle thing is stuck in my head. I know from working construction most motors are allowed to cool down before shutoff at end of long day.

Anyone shed light on this for me?

:confused:

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
06-04-2002, 12:44
Detroit Diesel?? Leaking??? Naaahhh... :rolleyes:

Don't worry about antifreeze in the oil with the Dmax. Fuel can find it's way there though, if you let it idle too long. It's not just a Dmax thing either- all diesels will start to wash the cylinders with fuel if idled too long...

TURBOJOE
06-04-2002, 18:20
What kind of time is considered to be a long idle? :confused:

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: TURBOJOE ]</p>

Amianthus
06-05-2002, 12:55
I think your manual says something about no more than 5 minutes (that's what mine says). In any event 10 minutes would be a good limit. Check your manual.