PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Catalytic Converter, or Not?

Diesel to the MAX
06-04-2002, 16:00
I heard from a service rep. For Dodge that a lot of turbo

odoh
06-04-2002, 16:05
I was under the impression that only the CA Emission DuraMaxes had the converters and EGRs. My personal thot is that I will leave the emission equipment as is on my truck. ~ odoh

csimo
06-04-2002, 16:06
Doesn't sound right to me for the following reasons:

#1 The D/A does not have a catalytic converter unless you have a '02 California model.

#2 Diesel engines are not nearly as hard on a turbocharger as a gasoline engine. Very low stress.

#3 I believe the California model with a catalytic converter uses the same turbocharger as the rest of us who have no catalytic converter.

I would dismiss the entire subject and do what you want.

mackin
06-04-2002, 16:25
csimo,

RIGHT .. and ....... DITO...

Just don't get caught .......

MAC ;)

Diesel to the MAX
06-04-2002, 16:30
Interesting. So you are telling me the service rep doesn

gregmican
06-04-2002, 16:48
See what kind of dumba**es you have to put up with sometime? :rolleyes:

ndamico
06-04-2002, 18:07
I suppose i don't have the wisdom that some of you have, i just think a cat doesn't belong on a diesel...the cat belogs in my garage (with my dog). maybe its one of those don't ask don't tell...heheh

56Nomad
06-04-2002, 18:19
If my recollection serves me correct. One of the
California 2002 Duramax trucks put the "Juice"
on their truck during the 2002 Rendezvous in BC
It kept throwing error codes. That apparently is
not case with Non-California D-max trucks.

One must assume that the problem is due to the
fact that the CA truck as a cat, EGR ETC.

"EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) FOR CALIFORNIA
To meet new Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) standards for
medium-duty vehicles, 6.6L LB7s built for registration in
California will be equipped with EGR. The system
features a unique cooling process that increases its
effectiveness. Hardware required includes: plumbing that
carries some exhaust gas from the turbocharger outlet to
the intake ports; an EGR control valve; an intake throttle
plate that creates vacuum to induce the flow of exhaust gas
back into the combustion chambers; and a
stainless steel cooling element. The cooling element bolts
to the right side of the engine block, inside the cylinder
head, with jackets fed by engine coolant.
Returned exhaust gas passes through a spiraled passage in
the element, and the temperature of the gas is lowered
before it returns to the combustion process. The
EGR valve and intake throttle are managed by the PCM.

REVISED CYLINDER HEADS FOR CALIFORNIA
Heads for California 6.6L LB7s have a new, slightly
different casting which modifies the intake ports to
accommodate EGR. The ports are repositioned relative to the
combustion chamber, entering the chamber at a slightly
greater angle and increasing the swirl or mixing effect
inside the chamber. More swirl is necessary to
thoroughly blend returned exhaust gas with the air-fuel
mixture."

The CA catalytic converter function is to reduce emissions
and fortunately it has no effecton fuel economy. From
what I have read, it does create more back pressure.
I am very curious to see if the 2003 D-max will come
with CC for the other 49 states. :( :confused:

mackin
06-04-2002, 18:26
Move from CALIFORNIA ........ To make room for "ME" >>>> And my 2001 non-compling Grandfather claused smog making D-MAX ..........

MAC tongue.gif

Rumor has it soon they all will be anti-smog .... All the big three .......

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Wesley Briggman
06-04-2002, 20:29
I just looked under my 2002 GMC 3500 D/A and other than a hugh muffler there is nothing attached to my truck's exhaust pipe. No cc on this one...bought new and registered in California!

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: Wesley Briggman ]</p>

seedsfarmmer
06-04-2002, 20:33
What a crock. . . CC, if only they'd burn soydiesel or biodiesel fuels. 2% blend will do more good for emissions then any CC, even in Calf!
Living in MN, If I order a 2003, will the CC be on it? I'd like to get the newest trk w/out CC.

tpitt
06-04-2002, 21:09
56 Nomad:
Rub it in will you. :rolleyes: Apparently this problem is fixed. Talked to Christain at BD and this isn't an issue any more. Just receieved not one , but two "juices" yesterday. One for me and one for a friend. When I have time to install it I'll let you know how it does. Terry

DMAXDiva
06-04-2002, 21:10
It is my understanding that the "federal" trucks (with cats) can be found anywhere in the U.S. Case in point: I have a friend that bought an '02 off the lot in El Paso that was cat-equipped. Another in Amarillo had ordered his truck and it was delivered to Texas w/cat. I'm sure the majority of these trucks end up in California, but it sounds like the federallies like to throw one in off the line now and then just fer grins tongue.gif .

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

dmaxstu
06-04-2002, 21:11
A friend of mine who has a 1999 PSD recently had a Banks Stinger setup and 4" pipes put on. He tells me that that truck had a cat and the shop which installed the new exhaust system said it was free to take it off since the 1999 did not require a cat. Now 2002 trucks are a different story no muffler shop would ever take the cat off one of those trucks. Aparantly Ford installed them voluntarily and the Dodge service rep could have been right maybe they did as well. Stu

Diesel to the MAX
06-05-2002, 08:11
Well, I don

odoh
06-05-2002, 09:09
DmaxDiva ~ I've a CA emission truck. It 'says' Federal on the door sticker but its more than Federal. Unfortunately, its CA emission declaration is on a lable, on the emission component where most won't bother diving down to see. Not even me. The only other CA emission declaration I'm aware of are on the MSO certificate and the Window Sticker. Far as I know, there is no directive/law against selling CA emission vehicles in other states. In fact mine was delivered to ID. Point being ~ just because it says Federal on the door tag and has a converter doesn't mean that all Federal compliance vehicle have converters. ~ odoh

DMAXDiva
06-05-2002, 09:54
Odoh:

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense...I'm just glad I didn't get one of 'em. I never made any attempt to check my own truck when I bought it...just assumed that a Texas truck would not be cat-equipped. I still own a 1994 Dodge Cummins that does indeed have the converter, and I plan to have that truck straight-piped the same day (hopefully tomorrow)as my DMAX. ;)

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
06-05-2002, 10:09
Being in the government (US Navy) and familiar with equipment (Construction Mechanic), any over the road vehicle the government buys MUST meet the strictest state EPA rules (at least the rules we play by)

Of course, these EPA rules are CA rules, so any Govt vehicle must conform to CA rules. :(

56Nomad
06-05-2002, 10:33
DMAX Daddy

If you are a California resident on active military duty outside the state, you may return to California with a new vehicle that is not certified to California requirements. You must have registered this vehicle in the state of your last military service, and it must be certified to federal emission standards. That is the current law in California.

Jelisfc
06-05-2002, 10:46
I think DMAX DADDY is refering to Uncle Sam buying vehicles not active duty personnel's private vehicles.

I haven't looked lately but most of the vehicles I drive in the Army have stickers saying it doesn't meet certain noise or emmissions regulations. Maybe that has changed with new government purchases or commercial vs tactical vehicles. I normally drive tactical ones.

DMAX Daddy
06-05-2002, 10:46
Technically Im a Florida resident living in CA with 3 years to retirement. I'll be staying here after I retire cause wife's job is just too good.
I'm going to bite the bullet and will install gauges and a Cat-back system if it comes to that.
My Juice purchase is a year or so away, so Im sure Edge will get it tweaked in for us Cat folks by then.

*EDIT* Yes Jeli, I was referring to vehicles purchased bu Uncle Sam, and tactical vehicles are exempt. CA complains an awful lot about our big diesel generators (750kW to 2500kW) emissions, until they need some of our Juice. ;)

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>

Amianthus
06-05-2002, 13:48
Blowing turbos? Ask him which ones (I bet he can't even tell you). I'm sure it could happen, but I haven't ever heard of it. At least not on stock vehicles.

As far as needing a cat, mine didn't come with one. Truth be known, they are more of a hinderance on a diesel than anything else. But you won't get the eco-freaks to admit that.

The 12 valve trucks came with them, yes. But losing them does not, I repeat, DOES NOT cause a turbo to blow due to lack of back pressure. To think that is just stupidity in motion. That goes against the argument we had a while ago regarding boost and RPM. Turbos need differential pressure to make them function. To lose that is to cause the turbo to lose performance.

Sorry dude, but tell your service manager that he's either mistaken or he's an idiot.

Diesel to the MAX
06-05-2002, 14:16
Amianthus:

I

mackin
06-05-2002, 14:54
Are you guys, gals sure a weight class doesn't come into play also? My 3500 is emission exempt in CT, there is an over 10,000 GVW waiver, even although we have biyearly inspections .......
Works for me ......
MAC ;)

NickLeinonen
06-07-2002, 16:15
the less backpressure a turbo diesel has the better. big over the road trucks are recomended no more than 2"h2o backpressure [or was it 2psi.. i can't remember for sure..] . 0 would be perfect, but that is hard to get