PDA

View Full Version : Fueling tip

bora
09-05-2002, 23:02
I found this out in my road trip:

1) Fill up the tank until fuel is at the top of the filler neck.

2) Drive for less than 0.1 miles.

3) Come back and add 0.7 gallons.

I first thought it was the diesel foaming but waiting for a few minutes after filling up does not do the trick. You have the drive the truck for just a bit and then suddenly you can add almost a gallon.

mtomac
09-06-2002, 04:56
If you are filling it to the top try rocking the truck a little and you will see air bubbles coming out, which lowers the fuel level and lets you add more fuel. Do this a few times and you won't have to drive around the block. (I first discovered this when somene got into the truck when I was waiting for the foam to go down and it bubbled a few times)

Greg Watkins
09-06-2002, 06:53
Michael,

How does the air "plumbing" work on your truck? You like it? Got any specs for it so it can be built :~> . looks pretty cool. I "assume" you have a K&n or Amsoil cone type filter also correct?

Any info you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,

greg

mtomac
09-07-2002, 07:00
The air filter housing is from Pacific Performance Engineering, they use it when they install 502's and superchargers on 454's in chevy & gmc pickups. PPE sent a cone shaped K&N air filter (4 5/8 top x 6 bottom x 9 long) with the housing so I used it, but any air filter that with clamp onto a 4" tube will work. I hunted up the rest of the plumbing and hoses myself. It took a little engineering to make everything fit and line up. I also located the inlet so I can take out the pass side headlight and have instant
"ram air"

Paintdude
09-07-2002, 21:10
I installed a transfer flow filler neck in mine and the stock filler neck is amazing.the fuel goes into the tank through a plastic hose 3/4 the size of the neck..I has some outside supplier name on it..One Goofy looking monstrosity..

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

Lone Eagle
09-07-2002, 22:43
If you crawl under and take a look you will see a couple humps in the top that trap air. My 89 and later trucks are the same. I just try to fuel on the level and average in every tank. Works for me. Later! Lone Eagle :D

MNBowTie
09-08-2002, 02:04
After I tried filling to the top of the neck I noticed strong fuel smell especially when parked in the garage. After inspecting I could see the stain from fule running down the inside of the side panel. I assume, after filling this full and then not driving much the fuel warmed up and expanded. So, now I just set the auto select to the slowest setting clean the windows and kick the tires. My two cents worth. PS. DO NOT FILL YOUR GAS VEHICLES TO THE TOP. YOU ARE FILLING THE CHARACOL CANISTER AND THE VAPOR LINES.