PDA

View Full Version : Boost Sensor Install?

Jim Dandy
06-05-2002, 13:48
I'm planning to install my SPA gauges over the weekend and need some help. I'll mount the boost sensor in the wastegate hose. Can someone please tell me what the inside diameter of the hose is? Also, do I just go to the hardware store and try to make up the "T" with brass fittings or is there something out there made to order?

Any help is appreciated. Careful planning on my part helps reduce the stupid mistakes I'm prone to make.

mdrag
06-05-2002, 14:45
Jim Dandy,

My SPA DG-111 gauge came with the necessary parts to do this and I don't know if they changed with the DG-211.

There was a plastic or nylon 'T' to splice into the wastegate line in my kit. You'll need a reducer to go from the 'T' to the SPA sensor line since the SPA line is much smaller - this was a brass compression fitting in my kit.

I don't remember the wastegate hose size - but it is very easy to remove one end and check. You have the SPA boost line, so I'm sure you could find what you need at the hardware store, nothing really special with the fittings - plastic/nylon/brass/stainless should be fine.

Jim Dandy
06-05-2002, 14:55
Mdrag,

Thanks. I admire what you have done with your truck. In fact, my purchase of the DTA boards was after scouring your photos.

If you don't mind, how much room is on the cab side of the firewall at the spot where you drilled through? It would be just like me to put the saw through the radio.

Thanks.

Kennedy
06-05-2002, 15:21
The 211's do not have any such fitting with them, but I will jump on the horn and see if they still have them...

mdrag
06-05-2002, 17:50
Jim Dandy,

Thanks for the compliments on the truck. The DTAs are holding up real well, no complaints.

If you use that same location for your hole, there is plenty of room and you should not have a problem. Drill a small pilot hole first to see exactly where you are, and then use your larger bit or holesaw. I went with a 3/4" hole believing that would be big enough for everything...now I see I should have gone 1" or 1 1/4" :D

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 18:34
My autometer gauges didn't have a tee fitting so I just took the wastegate hose with me to the local hardware and had the guy find what I needed. I got a brass tee two hosebarbs and two clamps which came to $3.90 smile.gif

On Edit: I'm pretty sure the hose was about 3/8" ID

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Brandenburg ]

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Brandenburg ]</p>

Kennedy
06-05-2002, 19:26
I should add: The 2002 Dmax has a bit longer intake casting on the "from intercooler" side. This allows drilling/tapping of the casting and a rigid mount which is a very good thing when installing an electronic sender.

One other thing worth mentioning. The SPA instructions talk about grounding the sensors. Now I believe this was a generic thing for a single wire sensor where the pressure unit is dual, but if you have problems, check this area.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

MaxNouT
06-05-2002, 23:32
Jim Dandy,
The hose size is Quarter inch.
Sears Hardware has nylon "T" fittings
that are barbed for the hose and go to male NPT.
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: MaxNouT ]</p>

Jim Dandy
06-06-2002, 07:55
Thanks for all the input. I got it done last night and it actually works. It went smoothly. I also have the SPA DG-214 and I got it hooked up to my rear end last night too. The cable wasn't long enough so SPA sent me the cable ends and I made up an extension piece.

DSLPOWR
06-06-2002, 23:21
Pretty sure it's 1/4" ID. Any hardware should have the correct fittings.