PDA

View Full Version : Air Box (Intake) Temperatures

Billy14
06-06-2002, 00:46
Picked up my truck in late December. Noticed it ran much stronger during the winter months. Didn't really register the change till a cold front made it through a few weeks ago. WOW! What happened? More power. Colder air.

Have a highly accurate digital pyrometer (+ or - .4%) & decided to put the probe inside the airbox to check intake air temps with the readout in front of me on the dash. To my suprise with 82 deg. ambient air, temps. into the air box ranged from 30 - 110 deg. higher than outside air. Have some ideas to induce cooler air. Will keep all posted if any success.

Billy

mackin
06-06-2002, 04:44
Take to ALI-MAX he's working on a project .. Something about a leaf blower and an air conditioner and duct tape ........ tongue.gif

MAC :D

310-MAN
06-06-2002, 08:39
For every 10 degrees you cool the intake charge, you get a 1% increase in horsepower. John in Yelm

Alli-max
06-06-2002, 09:34
on a more serious note there Mackin.. :D

I actually have played around with a ram air type of intake (from the bottom side, not on the hood). I plan to do a little more with it this weekend.

D-max Man
06-06-2002, 11:12
Cooler air is denser air. In other words, the cooler it is the more air you can get into the engine and the more power it makes.

This is not just a diesel thing, I have noticed it with almost all of my vehicles.

Another thing is the location of the air box. It is very close to the hood. When the sun beats down on the hood, it will also warm the air box.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

MNBowTie
06-06-2002, 11:27
I've noticed just the opposite effect compared to a gasser. Up here in MN plenty of cooler air, but performance is lack luster until engine is warm. Winter blended fuel compounds it even more.

Hey! Million-dollar idea! Maybe I can bottle some of this cool MN air and ship it to you guys; you'd pay a premium wouldn't you? LOL

mark45678
06-06-2002, 16:21
I would like to add that these trucks are intercooled and its a huge one at that! Billy I would like to know what temps the intake manifold is seeing more then the air box. I am sure the +110 above ambiant temp would have some impact on IAT(intake air temp) but not as much as one would think (real world maybe 20~30*f) I would guess that someone with a autotap or a tek2 could tell us what they see for IAT??? hello JK a little help here! Ram air would help but I think it may just take some of the lag out and thats about it??? It may help with MPG to? add boost where there wouldnt normaly be any? But the stock waste gate is still only set to 26 psi&gt;

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mark45678 ]</p>

Joe.G
06-06-2002, 17:11
You folks are referring to air density or density altitude, this is how we predict our dragsters performance. The denser the air the more 02 is in it and the more horsepower the engine makes. The air density is greatest at sea level and varies by temp., humidity and barometric pressure. The turbo on the Duramax helps overcome these variables that affect natually aspirated engines, or engines with carbs or just fuel injection.

By the way, the higher your altitude the thinner your 02.

Hope this helps!

Kennedy
06-06-2002, 17:48
Dont forget that MAF sensor is using IAT somewhere in it's feedback to the ECM...

While cool IAT at the engine is the key, at the MAF sensor is also a factor now!

mackin
06-06-2002, 18:25
I say, just before going HOT RODDING ......... Why not just pack your airbox with DRY ICE &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Toss in a couple BEERS first, so they will be good and CHILLED when you get to your destination ......... tongue.gif

MAC :rolleyes:

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Billy14
06-06-2002, 23:34
mackin,

Go to bed man & get some rest. Down here in S. Texas the mid 50's is like snowed in. :D If it's true you lose or gain 1% for every 10 deg. ambient air temp., we're runnin with 150 h.p. most of the time. Not really a problem just so everyone else is too. smile.gif I want to get juiced just to get back to stock. LOL

We have to call ahead & make sure the cool ones are iced down when we get there.

Billy