PDA

View Full Version : Invoice VS MSRP, how do you do it?

MudNurI
09-08-2002, 18:03
This post may not belong here, and I appologize to the moderator's should they have to move it, however I can't find another forum here that it would fit.

There are A LOT of you here that have paid very close to or even under invoice on your trucks, EXACTLY how are you doing this?

When we bought our D/A we paid about 2500 less than sticker, but it was a left over 2001, and the lot was full of 2002's.

I am currently in the market for a suburban, and want a '03, however the difference in invoice and MSRP is unbelieveable. I WILL NOT Pay msrp, and the 0% financing won't help us, as we won't be taking out a loan to purchase it.

Can someone fill me in? Do I have to go "out west" where you all are at? I have noticed A LOT of you have flown to Texas to get a truck, am I Texas Bound?

Thanks guys, and again, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Brandy

NutNbutGMC
09-08-2002, 18:10
^.... http://www.carprice.com/

OR http://www.gmc.com/gm***p/divisional/buypower***p?brand=home&pageName=build_your_own

Also, there is a locator on the gmc.com site. You have to finagle it with zip codes but then you can manipulate it from state to state. I found mine 3 states away, knew the invoice, called to check availability, made an offer based on the invoice from carprice.com, they accepted, all over the phone, went to get it, wrote a check. Done deal.

Don't forget to check for any rebates, financing, dealer holdbacks. Carprice.com will tell you all of that. Especially the rebates, how they apply and the dealer holdback. it's all negotiating power in your favor if you are aware of the figures.

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Paintdude
09-08-2002, 18:54
Put in Zip code 62526 and see if they have anything..they are hungry around here...

Professor
09-08-2002, 19:02
For a quick calculation, MSRP X 0.8756 will get you within $100

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: Professor ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-08-2002, 19:10
Brandy,

If you let me know what you are looking for I will try to get you as much info as i can. I am a GMS qualified buyer so I can see Invoice Pricing at my dealer I bought my '02 from.

IIRC the factor listed sounds about right, however the dealer still has a holdback = to 3% of MSRP plus they have special incentives that are regional as well from time to time.

Click on this link or paste in your browser - www.gmsupplierdiscount.com then click on the northeast region and open the file ( Adobe Acrobat reader is required ). You can see the current incentives and rebates as well as low or 0% financing.

Good Luck,

my email is in my SIG.

GMC ;)

FrozenAKJoe
09-08-2002, 20:43
Look into the various vehicle brokers that do business over the internet. I got mine for invoice plus $500. The selling broker's profit was the holdback on the vehicle and the $500 went to the dealer that I took delivery through. Up here in Alaska, we don't have the luxury of driving to another state to do business (at least not without the expense of 3000 miles of fuel and/or shipping charges).

My '02 3500's MSRP was $45080 and I got it for $39200, and I took delivery in Nov 02 (zero interest to boot!). The dealers up here couldn't come close. They simply didn't want to give up a factory allocation for that little profit - at least not on such a popular vehicle. I took the sales paperwork into them and told them that I have to order the vehicle either way, it was only a matter of who does the paperwork. They got upset that I wanted to take my business out of state. Well, they wanted at least $3k more than what I paid, so I took my money to the broker. Best vehicle purchase experience of my life. It's definately the way I'm going with my wife's next car.

The posts above are correct. I got on CarPoint.com and it has exact invoice figures. In fact, the printout from CarPoint is what I faxed my broker, since it prints all the option codes.

The internet is a car dealer's worst enemy!

colorado2002
09-08-2002, 21:47
My experience was similar. I had checked to see what the "invoice" price would be and then emailed autobytel. They sent me a list of dealers all over Texas. I emailed the closer ones and asked right up front if they would deal off of the "invoice" price. There were three that would and I set appointments to come in. I bought at the first one and cancelled the other appointments. My dealer started at $500 over invoice and that was $7000 under MSRP. He told me that was firm and I told him he would have to do better. He suddenly "found" some unheard of rebate (something about the vehicle not being on the dealer's floor plan for thirty days) and I ended up $250 under "invoice". All of this might have been due to my truck being a 2 wheel drive rather than 4X4. I don't know but I was happy with the purchase. I would rather take a whuppin' than try to buy a vehicle.

I would still like to know the true invoice on these after all of the rebates, incentives, etc., are factored in. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: colorado2002 ]</p>

TXMAX
09-08-2002, 22:14
You might want to try Dave Smith in Kellogg ID. Kellogg is a very small town in the Silver Valley but DS does an unbelievable internet business. The drive home would be beautiful this time of yr. I do have a question though. Why would you not take the zero % financing? You come out ahead if you just left the money in the bank and did nothing else, for that matter you could put it in a money market and have the pmts drawn automatically and still come out ahead in the end, particularly if interest rates go back up. Oh well, just a thought.

Good luck,

Abe

FrozenAKJoe
09-08-2002, 22:37
I looked seriously at Dave Smith. The only reason I did business with another outfit is that I'd have to had fly down to Kellog Idaho to pick up my truck. By the time you figure in a one-way plane ticket, fuel to drive the truck back, food to eat, lodging along the way (or sleep in the truck), and the time off work needed, it really wasn't as good a deal. Not only that, I'd have had 3000 miles on my truck right away. Not only that, I'd prefer to not break my truck in that way.

However, if I lived anywhere in the Northwest, I'd look long and hard at Dave Smith. I've heard nothing but good things.

SoCalDMAX
09-08-2002, 23:44
I also got my truck thru a broker, actual invoice cost. The dealer who actually placed the order and sold me the truck was Suburban Chevrolet in MN. Their ph# is (888) 447-7054. Ask for Brad Blaha. He knows how the GM allocation system works, exactly how long it would take to get a TPW based on the options requested, etc.

He was outstanding to work with, very honest up front. They may have it in stock or be able to trade for it. They also delivered it to a local dealer for $150 courtesy fee. Detailed and full of fuel. The total cost for mine came to $33,824 (invoice + $150), about $5,000 under MSRP.

Good luck! Steve

mackey_62
09-09-2002, 06:17
I had to pay invoice + about $1500. Wish I had heard about all these internet dealers beforehand. I also was limited by availability.
NO Dmax/ZF6 LB Reg Cab in NY, PA, CT, VT, MA at the time. Had to order, and I really wanted it.
Next time, I will be looking further West.

MudNurI
09-09-2002, 07:05
The reason we won't but using the zero % is because this will be done through our company, with the ins and outs with the company, we use the same "financing institution" if we were to use GMAC, we would end up paying more in the end, regardless of the interest% offered by either place, its hard to explain, but this is the best/cheapest way for us to purchase numerous vehicles, though only a few are personal. By purchasing 10-12 10-14 wheeler's a year, if we use the same institution for our personal rigs, we end up on top.

I'm definelty going to check out the names/dealers you all have listed here, I'm thinking that if they deal this well with a D/A they can deal with either a suburban, or a yukon xl...

THANK YOU GUYS!

Brandy

Idahobidcaller
09-09-2002, 10:21
When you buy at Dave Smith in Idaho, do like I have done. Buy Round trip ticket to Spokane WA. and, oops, miss the flight back. A one way ticket is waaaay too expensive. They usually will have someone pick you up at the Spokane airport.

Maxxheadroom
09-11-2002, 21:20
Similar story here, bought just below invoice, dealer kept rollback, financed through GMAC. Steve (Karl Tyler chev) flew me in from California to Missoula Mt spent the better part of a full day with me, took me to lunch, detailed the blood red loaded mack daddy crew cab and threw in a nice winter jacket and floor mats then sent me on the best drive I have ever had through the Clearwater forest and down the Salmon river through Idaho Oregon and Nevada to get back to Ca. Completely blew me away...in Ca they were going full bonage no deals and no allocation

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 22:02
Dunno what your local dealers are like, but since my local dealer is my warranty servicing dealer, that is where I bought from.

Otherwise check out Roger Tasnady? at Callaremi? GMC. He frequents these boards (allocations forum) and is quite helpful. NJ should be an easy drive...

SoCalDMAX
09-11-2002, 22:44
I wonder why Dave Smith and other dealers don't use the courtesy delivery option. For $150, the truck gets delivered to the local dealer, no plane flight, no long drive.

Regards, Steve

dmaxstu
09-12-2002, 21:01
MudNurl

Some of us bought our trucks for $49.00 over invoice from www.bucklesmotors.com still others dealt with www.ande.com My experience was very positive and have heard that others also were pleased dealing with Buckles.
These dealers are much closer to you than Dave Smith.
I drove mine back to CA and the break-in was perfect I followed the owners manual to the letter and I seem to have a very good truck now with about 20000 miles on it.
The local GMC dealer welcomed me with open arms for warrantee and other service. It seems every dealer service department has a 'bottom line' and they don't care where that money comes from.
Mike Peters the sales manager at Buckles explained that the reason they do not drop ship vehicles is that no one is responsible for the vehicle when it arrives at its destination and if the customer refuses to accept the vehicle they are stuck with returning the vehicle back to their dealership.
Use www.edmunds.com as your guide and view the invoice prices and you can't go wrong, I tell you it was sure nice to buy a vehicle this way without any hassles. I hope this helps.Stu

PS. If you go to Buckles they will pick you up at the Columbus Ohio airport

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

Kennedy
09-13-2002, 07:48
It is hard to twist a local dealer's arm to push for warranty or to "pull strings" when the unit was bought elsewhere. Now some dealers can flat out suck, etc, but generally they will be much more willing to "go to bat" for you in time of need if you bought there. The selling dealer would be more inclined to do so.

Case in point: Lets say you have the loping idle when hot, and the SM says "GM allows for 100rpm fluctuation, and yours falls well within this range" So you are fit to be tied, and have hit a dead end in the service dept. Time to start climbing the ladder AT THE DEALER. Try to get in contact with the owner or GM or whoever carries some clout there. Politely ask him/her to go for a drive and show them the problem. Get them to admit it is unsatisfactory, and that you, having payed them $40k+ think that THEY should go to bat for you with GM if they think they want to sell you another when the time comes.

The dealer CAN influence GM's decisions on warranty issues, and a lot of it is in presentation. My local dealer had one that would quit, not rev up etc. Rail psi was not responsive/non existent. They tried all they could in the field, and ended up towing it in cattle trailer and all. Dropped it from the hook and it fired right up! So of course, GM wouldn't replace the pump unless they could duplicate the problem. The dealer insisted on a pump, as the guy was all over the state with the thing, and these symptoms had been happening before. The pump was replaced.

Climbing down from my soap box now, but basically, IMHO, try local, reputable first, and try to find someone within a decent driving distance for service.

Again, sometimes supply/demand will not allow, or the area dealers won't deal, or their service sucks, but whenever possible, find someone who's got your back...

andy911
09-13-2002, 12:15
I think there is a lot of truth in what John has said, although an 'enlightened' dealer might take the attitude that while he didn't make the sale, they could service the heck out of you, make a little (lot :rolleyes: ) of money along the way and hope you consider them next time around. After all they have to accomodate people who bought vehicles elsewhere and then moved into their area - what's the difference?

My suggestion is always to see where you can get the very best deal on exactly what you want, figure in ALL your costs (including transportation and maybe accomodation etc. to fetch and return it from another city/state), then give the local dealer last kick at the can. If you give them a final opportunity and they still won't meet or get close enough to the $$ you want, then they can hardly complain about losing the sale - although of course they will. :D :D

dmaxstu
09-13-2002, 14:37
I agree with John Kennedy to a point which is perhaps in a small community the fact that you bought it locally may make a difference, however what is a person to do if he moved into such a community with a new truck or when traveling does that mean he is SOL. I don't think so,a friend of mine with a PSD became intimately acquainted with a goodly number of Ford dealers all over the country because he had a lot of trouble with the truck while on a long camping journey and was not ever denied warrantee work. Now in the big metropolitan area where I live it doesn't mean a rats#ss where you bought the vehicle.Y'all get treated the same.
The local dealer never even asked me where I bought the truck, but asked instead to fill out the satifaction questionair and if I could'nt say I was happy with their work and service they insisted I should come back and they would make sure I was satisfied next time.Furthermore I happen to be a enlightened consumer thanks in part to this forum so if glitches should occur I'm sure I'll be able to deal with them. Stu

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

MadDuraMax
09-13-2002, 14:57
Kind of have the same story here, Coop'ville is a small town. 1 Chevy dealer, 1 Dodge dealer I was looking for a 3500 Dmax. Our Chevy dealer didn't have one on his lot, said that dealer participation in the GMSD program was voluntary and he would not do a dealer trade for the nearest truck and give me GMSD pricing. He was willing to order me a 2003 though and honor GMSD!

I'm on the side the doesn't care for the 2003 Chevy styling and wound up getting a GMC from a dealer 40 miles away at below the GMSD price. Now for service I have go to the GMC dealer (40 miles) or haggle with my local Chevy dealer. Kind of puts the customer in a no win situation, what do you think?

Doc Robbs
09-13-2002, 15:37
$98 over invoice at Black Mountain Cheverolet in Ashville, NC. You get all the rebates and usual GMC financing (0%) that any other dealer can get.

They will show you their invoice and it was right on with I got over the internet.
y wife wanted a GMC so we had to go elsewhere.
Chevy had discontinued indigo blue for the suburban but GMC still had it.

Now that it is gone for '03 I don't know what I'll do.

BTW 2003 front ends are starting to grow on me

DocRobbs

Kennedy
09-13-2002, 15:43
Whenever possible, but...

Nice to be on a first name basis where they know you etc.

Now if the locals suck, like I said, go elsewhere. Good dealers can be hard to find.

MudNurI
09-14-2002, 06:58
The talk about service has got me thinking. Here's the situation to take a look at

Bought '01 D/A from dealer 1- 52 miles from house, this is the 9th vehicle family has purchased from said dealer- 3 trucks, 1 'vette, 4 cadi's and 1 burb.... we were the 3rd truck. Went with same salesman all others were bought with- paid below msrp- only becuase it was a left over.....

brought truck in for oil change etc. at 1k miles, crushed the O-ring on drain plug- ran more than 1/2 oil out of D/A due to this problem- they bitched when we went back and said- refund original oil change, and redo it, no cost to us.

Hydro boost leaking- covered driver's side engine compartment- wanted to use some silicone to stop leak- NOT ON YOUR LIFE...

rattle in front end- lubed numerous times. Every time we have gone in for something the parts need to be ordered- then they end up getting the wrong part. we have to go back etc.. makes getting service a PIA.

now onto Dealer #2. 20 miles from house- NEVER purchased ANY vehicle from this dealership, had a few 'vettes worked on with 1 specific tech a few years back..that's it.

Walked in with the rattle, and hydro boost leak, along with the truck being in Limp Mode.--- faulty fuel filter- replaced it, ordered hydro boost, on tuesday- called me on thursday, brought truck to said dealership- installed new hydroboost. Lubed rattle- at time that was GM's fix- I asked for Bearing Kit that had been talked about on here- can't do it till GM says do it...I called them the day someone on this site posted the TSB's for July 8th- they ordered the bearing kit, called me 5 days later when it was in- installed it, TADA done deal.

To break it down further- 1st dealer got from us-

3 trucks- approx $100,000
1 'vette- approx $45,000
4 cadi's approx $200,000
1 burbn approx $48,000

if you ONLY used the 3%kick back- this dealer made $11,790 off our family purchases. We paid pretty darn close to MSRP on EVERY 1 of thos purchases.

Dealer #2 got from us-

1 'vette with a spark knock adjuster problem- total bill including parts was just under $300.00

1 'vette with a LTPWS (low tire pressure warning system) problem...total with new parts. $900.00

They probably made without parts $300.00

Now I think this can show you that in some instances it doesnt matter WHERE you bought your truck. It really depends on the service dept. If I had a GMC I would travel to Mass - I had my burbn worked on in the past..however being a Chevy- I can't go now without it being out of pocket.

sorry this is so long, but I think it puts it into perspective.??

Brandy

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-14-2002, 11:17
I found this on E-Bay, click on the link and then goto "Click Here to View Full Options On THis Vehicle".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1857809523

It will open a Word Document or you can have your browser display it. The Dealer Still has an additional3% on MSRP as a hold back plus any rebates.

MSRP $45,811.00 x 3% = $1,374.00 Dealer Holdback.

There are no other incentives listed for 2003 models. Present 2002 models have a $2000 rebate or 1.9% financling.

Hope this helps everyone out. ;)

GMC

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

FrozenAKJoe
09-17-2002, 15:29
I'll second what SoCalDMAX said above, Surburban Chevrolet was great. Brad Blaha was extremely helpful and the entire deal was perfected executed (by coincidence, we went through the same person). I paid slightly more than what he did ($500 delivery fee vs $150), but I believe it was higher due to the Alaskan dealers wanting a bigger piece to do the prep and paperwork. Ok with me though - it still beat the pants off of the other dealers I visited locally. Like his, I received the vehicle with a full tank of fuel and it was sparkling clean.

If you're still not convinced, get this: After I had signed the purchase order, gave my $500 deposit, and was perfectly ready to pay my final bill, Brad called and told me that my bill was going to be $500 LESS than what I was previously told. It seems that he had made a mistake on the added charges. I had no idea this was so, and was fully prepared to pay more. When was the last time you remember a car dealer telling you that you're paying them TOO MUCH money? I'm sold on this dealership. Honesty goes a long way in my book.