PDA

View Full Version : Western Diesel products

IndigoDually
06-06-2002, 20:21
Anyone have any experiences with Western Diesel's products? (www.westerndiesel.com) I found a local shop that handles their products. They are very big in Ford and Dodge products. Their website does not really list items for the Duramax yet but they have a 2 stage chip 45 and 90 hp adjustable. Shop is putting exhaust and a chip on a D-Max tonite and I was wondering if anyone has used any of their stuff.

John

mackin
06-06-2002, 21:14
IndigoDually ,

I've seen a couple post on the TDR about them . Nuttin negator'ie ....... I don't think they have gone full blown into the D-MAX mods yet . In time ........You should find out what the deal is on the chip ..... NA or HIP, HIP ,HUR-RAY .......

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Redhawk
06-07-2002, 13:41
When I owned my y2k Ford, I bought their exhaust
brake, which worked very well. I wasn't aware that they had products for GM, but knew they were working on chips. They were proud of their brake and were very helpful. Unlike a lot of others they maintained a presence on the Ford Forum answering questions about their products.

dmaxstu
06-07-2002, 18:28
I was was kind of taken by the fact thet this outfit Western Diesel could completely ignore the GM diesel offerings (6.2 & 6.5) even though these engines were used widely in defense dept vehicles and by all accounts were not bad engines. It must be hard for them to make a turnabout or have to, in order not to lose a goodly portion of the market.
I must admit if I had'nt stumbled onto the Dmax I might very well be driving a PSD today. Stu

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

Redhawk
06-08-2002, 15:43
The reason Western Diesel didn't make an exhaust brake for GM products is because the Powerstroke has a built-in flap valve at the intake manifold that will act like a throttle body on a gasser when activated by the WD brake setup. It is all electronic, nothing is inserted in the exhaust system like BD or Banks exhaust brakes. It is very popular, worked very well and was about $300 instead of about $800 for a true exhaust brake. Also,it was almost undedectable by the dealer as it was very difficult to spot under all the stuff on top of the engine. You had to be specifically looking for it to find it. I don't think GM diesels could be fitted with this device for some reason. I'm not sure about Dodge either.

All I know is I would buy one in a flash if it were available for the Duramax.

[ 06-08-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>