PDA

View Full Version : visit to the Dodge dealer

Bill McGouirk
09-08-2002, 20:10
Drove by the local Dodge dealer to look at the 2003. They did not have any diesels in stock. I was talking to the guy there and he told Me that the Dodge was the only diesel that could be rebuilt down the road and that the duramax had a lot of plastic parts inside. What BS why could you not rebuild a Duramax.

He wanted to sell Me a new hemi I think I will stick with My Dmax 4x4
BIll

FrozenAKJoe
09-08-2002, 20:32
Sounds like a deperate salesman to me.

So let me get this straight: this saleman is pitching the fact that a Cummins CAN be rebuilt? I don't know about the rest of you, but this isn't a positive sales approach. This salesman should go back to washing the trucks, and not trying to sell them!

big dipper
09-08-2002, 20:34
"a lot of plastic parts inside"

They did that to help control the weight on the IFS since it is so weak. :rolleyes:
Must be a really good plastic to hold up to the heat.....no wonder the truck cost so much! :D

bluenote
09-08-2002, 20:47
Plastic parts inside the engine??

ROTFLMAO :rolleyes: :eek:

And those D*dge and F*rd guys thought the aluminum heads were gonna warp and crack...imagine what those plastic parts are gonna do?? I know there are a couple of guys on the forum here who have worked on these...maybe they can tell us about all those plastic parts inside the engine???

Before I bought my truck, I talked to my buddy (a Chevy service manager). He went with his shop foreman and a couple of service guys to get their dealership certified to sell/service these engines as soon as they hit the market. They had all of the parts for the Duramax as they were before engine assembly. He said he had never seen more heavy duty components for a pickup engine. That salesman certainly wasn't very well informed, and seemed to be grasping at straws.

I wouldn't trade my Chevy in for a D*dge either, but have heard that those Hemi engines are pretty sweet. Oh well, I'll just stick with my oil burner and enjoy the power and decent mileage to boot!

Bill McGouirk
09-08-2002, 21:05
Yep thats what the sales guy told Me that the Cummins would go around 400,000 and could be rebuid two or three times. And that I would olny get around 300,000. with the Demax then I would have te replace it. Thats good for Me by the time I have 300 on the truck my 5 year old son will be driveing it to high school. And it will still have more power. They wanted $41,000 for a new 2003 3500 gas hemi with no leather. sounds like a lot to Me

Bill

billnourse
09-10-2002, 13:55
I went to see and hear the new Dodge this week and had a similar experience, except this salesman was still on the head issue. He knows of numerous DMaxes that are losing the heads. I reminded him that the fastest Diesel pickup in the world is an all aluminum Detroit that has 21-1 compression and runs the 1/4 in 9.27.

The new Cummins is real quite, but the pickup still appears cheap when compared to the Chev.

Bill

hdmax(mike)
09-10-2002, 16:06
Every time I have stopped for fuel (so far) A Ford or Dodge owner has come over to me to shoot the breese. Eveyone of them has told me nearly the same thing. "THOSE NEW CHEVY DIESELS ARE REAL NICE, BUT I`VE HEARD THEY HAVE HEAD PROBLEMS"

So being the nice guy I am. I let them know it is all BS and no one ever seems to know where one is. I always ask where I can find the owner, that I`d love to talk to them. Acouple of them has said. "Yea I figured it was just a rummor"

I hope it stays a rummor. Sense I have one, I want it to last a real looonnnggg time.

7mmSTW
09-10-2002, 18:03
I rode in an '03 Cummins 6spd dually last week. They are sure ALOT nicer than their predacessors. The pickup rode a whole lot better than any Dodge I have ever been in before. The thing sounded like a Dmax does. The interior is pretty nice and has good room, for an extended cab, but not as a crew cab. As for unloaded power it wasn't what I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong as it ran better than any stock Cummins I have ever been. It could be that we just got out of a 400 horse Cummins and it just felt slow :D .

Later

Seven

conradv
09-10-2002, 18:09
Hey Bill - Where can I read up about the fastest aluminum diesel you mentioned?

billnourse
09-11-2002, 11:18
conradv,

I don't know about cut and paste, etc. so I will tell you how I found the link. Go to the Pickuptruck.com site, then to forums, then to Diesel Engine. About half way down the first page is post "Check this out by Mike562. This will take you to the CompetitionPlus article about the pickup.

Bill

GMC D-Max
09-11-2002, 11:37
http://www.competitionplus.com/04_24_2002/diesel_doug.html