PDA

View Full Version : Juice 3.8 Questions

MountainMax
09-09-2002, 12:24
I,ve been impatiently holding off. I have a May 01 DMax thats had no problems. I did have it reflashed for the no longer heard of lopey idle. Now that some time has past and even the Juice has had to have reprogramming as it evolves, I am finally considering jumping in (thanks to you guinny pigs for having the courage to get the early production products of everything,..PeanutGRWR et.al.) My question is 1. Do you think we're about at the top of the game as far as performance and safety? Or does it still need more R&D.?
2. What's going price and phone #?

Kennedy
09-09-2002, 17:11
3.8 is old news. I just ran v4.2 for over 1400 miles back from MT with no less than 12k behind my truck (about 8k loaded) and it worked quite nicely!

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 13:18
v4.3 will supercede v4.2 but is identical except that v 4.2 was not "turning on" with Coolant temp on the '01 models.

I am also told that with the resolution of the "fishbite" the throttle response has also been tweaked back up a bit in the latest versions. Those who THOUGHT they lost power should feel a return of the aggressive pedal. Interesting how a little "softening" of the response is perceived as being a loss of power. Smae thing those who reprogrammed early '01s thought they had experienced when GM buffered the APP.

Mackin had better stick with the same one he has programmed in "R" :D

mackin
09-11-2002, 15:37
JK,

Ain't that the truth........ :D

MAC

GMC D-Max
09-11-2002, 16:47
Talked to Aaron at Edge today, and am sending mine in for the v4.3 software. He says a lot of guys are gonna be P.O.ed with him because of the "softer" past versions. He claims the new software kicks butt! The feel of the v3.0 software, with none of the drawbacks!

Mic
09-11-2002, 18:07
{He claims the new software kicks butt! The feel of the v3.0 software, with none of the drawbacks!}

Drawbacks!!! What drawbacks??

I absolute loved my 3.0!! :eek: :D

But I am going to get the 4.3 at leasrt for the level confirmation. :cool:

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-11-2002, 18:19
.........I am running v3.61 and I think it Kicks *SS. Anyway I have ZERO problems and with all this individualistic stuff with the trucks I am on the fence about upgrading just yet. I want to know if it really does feel like it has more SNOT or NOT!!!

If anyone had v3.61 and just updated it to 4.3 let me know in this thread. I want a little less defueling between shifts and I would like the shifts to be firmer than they are. Can Edge address this or not???

Let Me Know,

THANKS,

GMC :D

motovet
09-12-2002, 00:28
Feel of the 3.0 with none of the drawbacks!!?...Where is that box...

GMC D-Max
09-12-2002, 07:26
"Drawbacks!!! What drawbacks??

I absolute loved my 3.0!!"

-My v3.0 had a pretty severe case of "fishbite", and a fairly annoying defueling right before shifting. I had it upgraded to v3.61 several months ago, and while the fishbite is gone, and the defueling is gone, it also seemed to be quite a bit softer than v3.0. It's better than nothing, but not as fun to drive as with v3.0. Aaron confirmed that v4.3 is a return to the more aggressive tendencies of v3.0, without the fishbite or defueling before shifts. Can't wait to try it!

MountainMax
09-12-2002, 09:15
O.k. now I'M TOTALLY CONFUSED. 4.3 is coming out. On another post (powerpackage-duramaximiser) they're talking about it being bad to mess with timing too much. When the chips first came out they were boosting fuel pressure too much. O.K. set me straight, which chip does what, and what is the safest way to get power? Kennedy?

vetman
09-12-2002, 12:08
So should I buy the Version 4.3, or wait six months until version 6.5 is out???

armalite
09-12-2002, 12:33
I had mine reflashed to version 4.0. Box malfunctioned, Sent it back and received version 4.2. 4.2 felt stock. Sent it back and now awaiting 4.3. See Below:

Quote (Armalite @ Sep. 10 2002,14:42)
Ash,

"I think what you are saying is the v 4.0 and higher boxes do not recognize the 2001 dmax's full operating temperature and therefore do not deliver 100% power? "

Reply from Ash:
"Actually, the 2001 Duramaxes do not report "engine temp" directly. The 2002 and 2003 Duramaxes do. When version 4.0 was released the '01 temperature firmware was inadvertantly left out. This has been addressed. Without the fix, the Juice never sees the Duramax as warmed up and does not add extra fueling. The end result is that the truck will feel stock even on level 4!"

Despite all the cross shipping of juice boxes, I very pleased with the level of service the guys at Edge provide.

afp
09-12-2002, 21:02
JK,

I think you are right on when you said they THOUGHT they lost power. My 4.0 version on level four game me a 14.49 sec pass on a G-tech with a 0-60 time under 6.0 seconds. I think that is tad rosy vs actual 1/4 mile times, but the overall performance of the box hasn't changed--just the seat-of-the-pant--feel, which is not a reliable indicator.

Blaine

George Gozelski
09-12-2002, 23:36
Hey MountainMax, here's my take for what it's worth! I've had them both, A Duramaximizer and a B.D. Performance EZ-AMP (Juice).

The Duramaximizer didn't impress me with its power, too smooth and you really had to "get on it" to feel anything. Then it started skipping and fishbiting then started leaking fuel on the top of my engine, so back it went.

Next, I ordered the EZ-AMP 3.5. Boy, what a joy to install and yahoo on the power! Its only downfall was running (or lack of) in the rain. It would skip, fart, cough and D all of the above. So, it went back too! For you guys who live in a drier climate than me (Juneau, Alaska with 90 - 100 inches of rain per year) the Juice/EZ-AMP should work just fine.

Edge has to know about the water problem; I sent them some email regarding my concerns and never got a reply.

Now then, my next venture just might be the new one from TS Performance, sounds like a good one because it's a download program. Well there you have it. Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase!

Kennedy
09-13-2002, 07:18
I think the rain thing was purely coincidental. We've driven in rain with no problems, and I've never heard of another instance personally. Could have been hardware related or truck related.

Mountain Max,

As for chips, look at afp's 1/4 mile times. While they seem (and he agreed just now in a phone conversation) quite optimistic (G-Tech) they are indicative of the power of the Juice. The thing flat out ROCKS, and there is still potential for MORE! :eek:

George Gozelski
09-14-2002, 03:06
Hey J.K., nothing wrong with my truck! It's a 2002 3500 crew cab dually. I did a cross country run in my truck this past summer from Seattle to Western N.Y. Truck ran like a monster until the first rainstorm. Fart, cough, sputter for a few seconds and then it was fine.

On and on and on and on! Sometimes it would cut out in the rain and sometimes it wouldn't. When it did, it was ugly. Never happened in the sunny weather. Never happened before the install or since its removal. It cut out a total of 6 times; the last one being the worst. That's why I sent it back.

Like I said, Edge has to know about this problem because I know from "chatting" with other Dmax owners, that I'm not the only guy its happened to out there. I really liked the performance it gave me, but I can do without the grief and embarassment of the stall outs and roadside pullovers in the rain!

Kennedy
09-14-2002, 05:09
I guess I haven't seen/heard this one yet. The Dynomite/VA, yes, that one had trouble in the rain till the harness was changed, but the only thing I've heard from the Juice/Amp is fishbite and stalling.

billsMax
09-14-2002, 07:29
Need some answer re juice. have 2001 3500 4x4 and am seriously thinking of ordering juice.
1. what is cost?
2. Do upgrades cost, if so, how much?
3. Is there a satisfaction, money back guarantee?
4. Will I have to install gauges? if so, what and how much do they cost? Is the gauge installation something someone with limited mechanical expertise can do?

I would really appreciate any help you all can give me.
Thanks,
Bill

mackin
09-14-2002, 07:59
Bill

1. What is cost?

The Juice
Varies Low as $699 high as $899 Shop around

2. Do upgrades cost, if so, how much?

Not yet........

3. Is there a satisfaction, money back guarantee?

I would believe so within 30 days......Depends where you by it ......The cheaper it will be, a keeper it could end up to be..... ;)

4. Will I have to install gauges?

It is highly recommended with any performance mod....Especially under a load such as towing....

5) If so, what and how much do they cost?

Best to shop around on the web see what you like for gauges (fit ,style,ease of operation ,digital ,analog, etc.) ...I have autometer,others like ispro,some here have done a nice install with Dakota digital.....Most have a two gauge setup,boost and egt,but they have dual function gauges (see MDGRAG'S (moderator pics).....Again price is wide open some where around $300 depending on what you want....

6) Is the gauge installation something someone with limited mechanical expertise can do?

Many have and There is a step by step install in the members area.....I choose to have a professional do it, for time and convenience for me .....I'm sure I could have tackled it if I had the time.....

MAC

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

billsMax
09-14-2002, 08:29
Mackin,

Thanks for the info, it helps my decision alot