PDA

View Full Version : Racor Filters and Salt anyone?

damork
06-18-2005, 20:40
I was just doing routine filter changes on my chassis mounted Racor filter (645) today and discovered the road salt has nearly destroyed the head.

The sealer Racor applied to the head unit was penetrated by the corrosive salt water mixture and ruined the surface right up to where the cartridge rubber seal meets the head.

Was able to install a new filter but no guarantees how long this will hold.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, is there something better? A better filter? Different head material (steel instead of aluminum)?

CareyWeber
06-19-2005, 09:46
Originally posted by damork:
I was just doing routine filter changes on my chassis mounted Racor filter (645) today and discovered the road salt has nearly destroyed the head.

The sealer Racor applied to the head unit was penetrated by the corrosive salt water mixture and ruined the surface right up to where the cartridge rubber seal meets the head.

Was able to install a new filter but no guarantees how long this will hold.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, is there something better? A better filter? Different head material (steel instead of aluminum)? I have a 445 head that Racor made for Yanamar and it has a white paint/coating and it is still good its been installed since 2001 IIRC. Its mounted under my truck too.

Carey

rjwest
06-19-2005, 14:36
I have a perma cool filter,

Like the 6.2 filters, casting on top, metal
can , with water drain on bottom.....

Filter is on suction side of lift pump and does catch water.

Also have a Racor on my aux tank, never get any water ????

Main filter stays clean....

Perma-cool in Jegg's catalog, around 30 dollars, filters are 13.00 ) ( I think, bad old memory. )
casting looks like std oil filter adapter

damork
06-20-2005, 07:38
Update - just talked with Racor tech support. The filter head is cast aluminum and sealed with powder coating.

They told me they can't rule out the salt corrosion and have heard of it.

If you live where roads are heavily salted I guess this can happen. Mine was just fine last year but lots of salt on the roads must have been too much. The powder coat just flakes off.

There is no warranty for this.

tom.mcinerney
06-26-2005, 21:24
If enough material remaining might clean well (fine wire wheel + scrub with detergent in water), couple rinses, warm&dry, spray zinc chromate primer, then two coats spray appliance epoxy. Epoxy good outside of sunlight.

DA BIG ONE
06-26-2005, 23:45
Best to start with self etching primer after a good cleaning to remove salts, then topcoat w/whatever your heart desires.

What comes to mind for topcoat is the newer teflon coatings which resist just about anything.