PDA

View Full Version : Went to Montana

Colorado Kid
09-09-2002, 12:52
I won't post everybody else's times and speeds, cause I don't know them, but I pulled the "little" 10,200# trailer that the stockers and 6.5's used from a standing start 1 mile up the 6% grade in 1 minute 11 seconds. Speed at the end of the mile (and at the 1/3 mile point!) was 58 mph. In the governor in 4th gear. That was my second attempt. First try was 1:15 and 55 mph because 1)I bogged the launch (I used second gear both times, just needed a few more revs for a solid launch) and 2)When I got to the top of 4th gear I shifted to 5th...Over the last half mile in fifth gear it faded from 57 mph right after the shift to 55 mph. That's the first time a load+grade ever slowed me down in 5th. It's still totally stock. Somewhere around here you can find refference to how other stock trucks have done in the past on the same hill with about the same load (the trailer this year ended up heavier by a trivial amount). I wasn't dissappointed, especially in my second attempt.

CUMINNTSTRKN
09-10-2002, 11:48
ck

are sure it happened? i have not seen 1 post other than this one about it? i would think everyone would be talking about it. there's nothing in the member's forum either.

jim

DogDays
09-10-2002, 12:15
Colorado Kid
Sounds like pretty good time and speed for a stock truck. I also thought there would be more of an announcement about the pull-off along with times and engine data.
How was the trip up? Wife and I are getting ready to head out for Helena next weekend, long drive from down here, only 1 mile north of the border. Have a few stops to make along the way and should be in MT by 19th. Hope someone else posts some info. tongue.gif

Kennedy
09-10-2002, 14:12
Y'know it just happened Saturday :rolleyes:

Turnout was low, but there was no shortage on fun! MP should have the article up on the page soon!

Suffice to say, the 5.9 Cummins is no longer the King of The Hill... tongue.gif

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Colorado Kid
09-10-2002, 14:47
I was surprised that I was first to post, but I s'pose those that won their classes (John and I) are more likely to post than those who didn't. ;)

The trip up was pretty quick...I got out of a class at 8:00 PM Thursday in Denver, picked my Dad up in Longmont about 9:00 PM and drove until we got to More Power's house about 4:00 PM on Thursday! We did take two meal breaks and two fuel stops on the way up. From Jackson, Wyoming to less than an hour from Missoula (7AM - 3PM) it rained...I didn't need that as tired as I was.

You'll find that I-15, at least north of Ogden Utah, is remarkably lightly travelled, in good repair and free of construction zones. I-90 on the other hand has 100 mile stretches where every bridge deck is being reworked and most of the pavement has been rotomilled. 35 MPH was not uncommon between Butte and Missoula. Lane closures were miles long and close together. We avoided it on the return.

We had fun. Had a good steak in Victor and the Bigleys and Gomer's Diesel were great hosts.

John Kennedy's Dmax (he also brought his 6.5, which ain't too shabby either)truck sounds like a whole different animal with its 5" pipe. It also left some very impressive (3 wheels spinning, I believe) acceleration skid marks at the starting line of the hill climb. Pretty impressive considering the Gooseneck trailer with 16,000+ pounds on it.

It's too bad we couldn't get any F*rds or stock D*dg*s to play...especially a 2003 Dodge. Maybe next year. We were all nice to the guy who brought the bombed Dodge, it's just that John didn't let him win :D There was even a stock 6.5 that pulled...it will be interseting to compare his numbers to the stock DC with the automatic from 2 years ago.

CUMINNTSTRKN We missed you. You might want to talk to More Power becasue ATS didn't show up and I think I overheard that they might be up to try the same load/hill sometime soon. Maybe you could be there the same day for that. I'm afraid I won't be back for that though...I've done enough driving for a little while! I'd really like to see (and hear) your rig jerk that trailer up the hill.

More Power
09-10-2002, 15:17
The evolution of Dmax power from last year is incredible. Four wheel drive burnouts during launch at 24,000+lbs rolling weight and cresting the 6% hill at 85 mph is absolutely astonishing. The Dmax accelerated hard every inch of the way.

Images have been processed, and I started work on the story this morning. May take a while to reduce the number of adjectives to a tolerable level.

MP

DMAX Daddy
09-10-2002, 15:27
Well I am looking forward to next time. Only having my truck a few weeks hindered talking my wife into it, along with it was our babies 1st birthday last weekend and all of Rome was there.

Ill be there next time!

CUMINNTSTRKN
09-10-2002, 15:58
jim

if the ats guys do come up let me know. if i'm in town i will be there, i have to defend my honor from last year. and i have to take back the title from john. :D i wish we could have made it but boy did we have fun in spokane. christian from bd ran a 11.83@118mph and i ran a 12.48 @110 my truck did not run as good as i had wished but i will get her going fast real soon. christians truck weighs 6700#'s and mine weighed 7300#'s. we had around 50-60 trucks show up, and there was even a duramx that ran on the dyno, he hit high 300's i think.

jim

Kennedy
09-10-2002, 19:10
I learned the hard way that 2wd is NOT the way to do it as the wheel hop was HORRENDOUS :eek:

Glad I didn't break anything, and I guess I shoulda finished the race with the girl in the Jeep CJ, but I figured that was a LOT to get stopped, even uphill!

Running the old 6.5 at 25psi boost had me biting my nails a bit too :eek:

Glad the Allison hung in there for me. I am anxious to finish it up along with the details on the mod turbo. Not sure what John has in store for me, but I'm guessing yet another wheel change. This one actually doesn't "catch" the stocker till 24-2600RPM. There WAS more power to be had, but just not enough turbo to use it.

IIRC, it was 1:05 to the 1 mile mark...

SoCalDMAX
09-10-2002, 23:32
I'm really looking forward to reading the whole story and seeing the pics! Don't worry about too many adjectives! Sounds like everyone had a great time.

CUMMINNTSTRKN: I'm sorry to hear you didn't run as well as expected, although 12.48 would have me jumping up and down! What do you figure was the problem? I imagine at the levels you're at, you're fiddling with a lot more than just pulse width. ;)

JK, I'm looking forward to hearing what you've done to your tranny. My quest for more power is suspended until I find out how to make the tranny survive.

Regards, Steve

CUMINNTSTRKN
09-11-2002, 08:47
i had just put a new set of injectors in, and i'm still working the bugs out. i was hoping for a 12.4 on #2 alone. and the 11's on nos.

jim