PDA

View Full Version : Break in procedures

rvforfun
06-07-2002, 20:58
Newbe here. Love the board alot of great people and fantastic information. Decision made to order a GMC 3500. Another converted D***e owner smile.gif . Now I have a couple question of what I am sure are just the start of more to come ;) Breaking in the Duramax is their a set procedure? Reason for this question is I will be purchasing from Buckles GMC in Ohio and flying to pick it up and drive it back to the San Diego area and if I have to drive under or at 50 to 55 its going to be a long ride :eek: Next How long (milage) should one wait to add the juice smile.gif Thanks again gang you all are great.

dmaxstu
06-07-2002, 21:38
rvforfun
I'm the right guy to help you here. I also bought my truck from Buckles and drove it back to NO.Ca. What a wonderful experience, first I want to make sure you ordered it with CA emissions.Don't pick it up unless it has.
The salesman I was dealing with there kept me in the dark about their procedure about picking you up at the Columbus airport(which they do) so I was tearing my hair out trying to get to the dealership, which was finally resolved and I was asured by the sales manager that it was their policy.
When I got there the truck was waiting and I had had them put in the spray-in bedliner which was not a good idea since it showed up on the invoice and I subsequently paid the CA. DMV for sales tax & tag fees for the bedliner too.
I started out and on the first full day of driving I did not go over 55 like the book says,I also got 21.5 MPG that day but never again. I averaged 19MPG for the entire trip. Of course I almost got blown off the road by the big highway trucks, so if you could find a less traveled road coming back that first day it might be more pleasant. Everyday I increased the speed by about 5MPH by the time I was going through Reno I was flying low. It turned out to be an excellent break-in procedure. I have 14000 MI on the truck now and it is running strong has'nt used a drop of oil.
Also my local GMC dealer is really taking good care of anything that I need done. As a matter of fact he even sends me notices about services I might need at about the right time. Also I get stuff from Buckles It's so nice to be apreciated. Stu

On edit: That truck rode pretty rough especially on concrete washboard and after trying velvet rides and not being happy I ended up with the Morryde RL system and it tamed the ride considerably.However if you should consider such a mod those folks are in Elkhart In.and you could hit them on your way back they will install and you'd be able to try it first. It ended being kind of expensive after having them ship it and all.Stu

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

rvforfun
06-07-2002, 22:22
dmaxstu. Thanks for the info. I did not order with calif emmisions. Being in the military I will regester in home of record Oregon no taxes :eek: lol I like the idea of being picked up at the airport my sales person did explan that they would do that smile.gif takes a load off the old mind. did your spray in liner turn out ok and if so what type did you use? was buckles pretty much front with everything else (ie) no suprises when you got their. Thanks again stu.
Keith

rvforfun
06-07-2002, 22:28
Stu. Does Morryde RL have a web sight?
Keith

oneton
06-08-2002, 00:52
I've been talking to Buckle's the past week. They had a CC D-max 4x4 Pewter with graphite interior. I got to talk to my salesman today but I think someone put a deposit down before I got back to the office to check out the specs on the truck. But I think after seeing the pictures I may just order a 03. Lucky for me the Trans Am National's are in Dayton, OH at the end of Aug, which is just south of where Buckles is. :D

Hey RVFORFUN.. you didn't put that deposit on that truck now did ya ;)

Oneton
94 6.5 TD Rocky Ridge Conversion

[ 06-08-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

White Knight
06-08-2002, 05:26
A few weeks ago, someone posted a reference to an article on the F**D site about breaking in a diesel engine. It was a good article, but too long to cut and paste here. If you want a copy, post your e-mail address and I will send it to you, or someone may post the link to the article, if it is still on-line.

Also, one consideration on the break-in is the locker rear end. A reference aticle is pasted below. You may want to consider a rear end fluid change after about 500 miles. I had my first done at the dealer and did the second myself. Save your money and do it yourself. It is not a difficult task. Mobil 1 has a synthetic rear end oil that is available at Auto Zone, and I would think about any good auto parts store would also carry the oil. Also, would recommend a 500 mile oil change at the same time you change the rear end oil. You should pick up the oil filter for the oil change at the dealer when you get your truck, since they are not readily available on the aftermarket. The jury still seems to be out on using aftermarket oil filters.

Hope this helps. Have a good trip! Remember, those first few miles are important to the life of your truck.

From Mr. Ralph Holmquist of Eaton, the maker of the locking differential:"The maintenance schedule for the rear axle was developed by American Axle & Manufacturing and GM truck based on multiple tests. The Eaton locker doesnot require additional maintenance nor does it add heat to the lube. The lube will darken due to the carbon wear on the clutch surfaces, much the same as a disc brake pad & rotor. This does not damage axle components such as seals or bearings. However, a new axle can produce excessive temperatures (plus 350 degrees F) due to the ring & pinion breaking in that will break the lube additives down. Avoid high loads, trailer towing and high speed extended driving during the initial break in of the vehicle. After the break in period axle temps will level at a much lower figure. Lube changes are a good idea because the additives are replenished and contaminates such as casting sand are eliminated. The axle is filled at the factory with a synthetic 75w90 GL5 rating made by Texaco under part # 2276.The GM service # is 12378261. This is the only lube we have done extensive testing with to insure locker compatibility. The only negative to using one of these other lubes is an increased potential for clutch chatter. This really doesn't hurt anything and can be corrected by changing the lube. I noticed in the latest GM owners manual the term "or equivalent" when referring to the lube specification. Look for a GL5 rating on the bottle to make sure the ring & pinion, seals & bearings are protected. Limited slip additive is not needed. "The following information outlines the type of rear axle lubrication utilized in GM Truck axles.I. Fluid TypeII. The 1500, 2500 and 3500 GMT 800 Trucks utilize SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant. The GM part number is 12378261 and the specification is 9986115.

dmaxstu
06-08-2002, 05:56
rvforfun
www.morryde.com

Buckles motors were nice people to deal with other then the salesman's reluctance in sharing the pick up at the airport routine.I think he's been told to now inform the customers.
I made a $1000 deposit. I put the order in before the pricing was out on the 2002. which was good because I had my truck in 3 months.
I still expected the other shoe to drop when I got there,I had never bought a vehicle for $49 over invoice.But they are a very respectable dealership and I even got money back because my cashiers check was more then the bill. Also the fuel tank was full.
They had an outfit called Custom Linings put in the bedliner and I was very happy with the results. From Buckles I went to S.Charleston OH and had a Quick&Easy hitch installed which the hitch factory had arranged.www.unitedtruckparts.com
I changed all the fluids when I got home.Stu

rvforfun
06-08-2002, 21:27
Thanks again gang

OneTon. Wasn't me with the deposit ;) Mine is a 3500 C/C D/A SLT marine blue with pewter leather :cool:

White Knight. Thanks for the info. should I really change the Diff fluid at 500 miles or can I wait untill I get back home Calif. How bout the rest of the fluid's should I change at the normal intervals?

dmaxstu. Thanks I have to stop in Elkhart In. to have a easy rider 5th wheel hitch installed so I will look into the morryde-rl package.

Wow this is kind of like being a kid at christmas the anticpation is killing me :D

dmaxstu
06-09-2002, 01:52
rvforfun
You might do well having Buckles arrange for the spray in bedliner since you're having that hitch installed. The Custom Lining is very nice and also quite thick I was talking to a Linex person at an RV shjow and he told me the Custom Lining was basically the same stuff as Linex.Stu

White Knight
06-09-2002, 05:12
Keith, you wrote: "White Knight. Thanks for the info. should I really change the Diff fluid at 500 miles or can I wait untill I get back home Calif. How bout the rest of the fluid's should I change at the normal intervals?"

I think the initial fluid changes are very important to a long service life. With the long trip you are looking at, you will want to get up to Interstate speed as quickly as possible. As quickly as possible after hitting 500 miles, I would find a Pep Boys, Wal*Mart or GM dealer and have the initial fluid changed. This is assuming you don't want to carry the necessary tools to do the changes yourself while on the road. I firmly believe that the fluids should be changed as quickly after hitting the 500 mile mark and before traveling at normal Interstate speeds.

Thanks for doing your part to protect our freedom! smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
06-09-2002, 19:34
Hi rvforfun,

Glad to see another Sandy Eggo member here in the forum!

I also bought my truck from an out of state dealer (with CA emissions) but I had it delivered to Courtesy Chevrolet in Mission Valley for $150 (standard courtesy fee).

I was just curious if there was some other reason why you wanted to fly up there and drive back or if Buckles didn't tell you of the courtesy delivery option.

Drop me an email if you'd like to get together and talk trucks and/or mods. socaldmax@cox.net.

Regards, Steve