PDA

View Full Version : Power Package on the way

pullinpower
09-09-2002, 17:05
Well I should have the power package from pacific performance here hopefully in a day or two.Its the adjustable PCM 40-168Hp,no speedlimiter :D ,redline is at 3700,and a duramaximiser to go along with it. This combo has produced over 400Hp and 700lbs of torque... Will keep everyone updated. Im ready to see some timeslips out of this setup.

P.S. Alli-max if your ever near here,hollar and well run'em again all the way to the speed limiter....LOL

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

hoot
09-09-2002, 19:52
pullinpower,

Sounds good.

What's your reasoning for going that route? Just curious cause there are more and more choices that it's getting cornfusin.

pullinpower
09-09-2002, 20:05
Well the guys at pp have been great so far,they have been on the dyno and at the track for weeks now and seem to have a good setup with the pcm mod and the duramaximiser. Max egt's in the race mode with the maximiser at full are in the 1500's I think.joeduramximiser could confirm that #. Time will tell all,cause the track(memphis motorsports) isnt that far away(15 miles). :D

hoot
09-09-2002, 20:10
What pcm mod pullinpower?

Alli-max
09-09-2002, 20:23
oh yea! I want to run against ya. Win or lose, I DO want to see how that thing works.

pullinpower
09-10-2002, 14:58
I guess we could see how it stacks up against the juice,until you hit the top speed limiter ;) But you may be too far in my rearview by that time... ;) :D

mtomac
09-10-2002, 16:58

Q: Does Duramaximizer advance timing to increase power & fuel economy?

A: No, the Duramaximizer slightly increases fuel pressure, pulse width to the injectors, and turbo boost allowing for a smooth, uniform predictable power increase while still keeping within the OEM
operating limits. Most other competitor's products rely on this 'poor man's' way of increasing power. Advancing the timing can cause violent explosions inside the cylinder and is detrimental to the engine components such as the crank shaft, bearings, cylinder heads, etc... Engine noise will be increased. Advancing the timing is as detrimental to a diesel engine as a gasoline powered engine.

Now I read this about PPE's Power Control Module:

This package includes DURAMAXIMIZER and Power Control Module (PCM) with 3 position program power adjustment:
40HP Economy (no additional fuel, IMPROVED TIMING CURVE)
112 HP Tow
168 HP Race

Does anyone know if their "improved timing curve" increases the timing? If it does then PPE has stuck their foot in their mouth advertising the DURAMAXIMIZER the way they have.

Kennedy
09-10-2002, 18:55
I'm glad SOMEONE is on the ball...

hoot
09-10-2002, 20:28
Who are they getting the PCM reprogram from? I believe TS Performance is the only company that does that. Do we have a Durmaximizer coupled with a TS Performance reprogram here?

SoCalDMAX
09-10-2002, 23:14
Yup, I also noticed the sudden reversal on the "disadvantages" of increased timing. I've noticed that my engine seems to run smoother and quieter on the Juice than stock, I just chalked it up to fueling a little more and creating more boost right off idle. Seems like turbo diesels are quieter on boost.

I thought Steve Cole at TTS was the one who was doing the ECM programming and developing the power loader. Am I misinformed? I'd love to see what the EGTs are with the 112hp tow program with a big load on a nice sized hill. If I understand it correctly, when one widens the pulse width to push more fuel, it can be widened on the leading edge, trailing edge, or both. Obviously leading edge would be advanced timing.

So given that there are only 2 ways to move the pulse edges, I'm not sure I understand how an ECM reprogram can produce more power with safe EGTs than an add-on box doing essentially the same thing. Are they monitoring and modifying more parameters with the ECM reflash?

Regards, Steve

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

pullinpower
09-10-2002, 23:35
Well I hope its a great combo,hope to have it on my truck in a day or so. joeduramaximiser could shed more light on the subject than I can on the development of the PCM reprogram but I do know that they are doing them "in house" and have a dyno there to check all the #'s Joeduramaximiser could you shed some light here&gt;? :D

nukedmax
09-11-2002, 01:00
Pullinpower: I was at PP (depleting my bank account with a Maximizer and a Kenwood Nav) when you called to see if they had shipped.

I don't work for them or claim to be an expert, just repeating what Joe said. We talked for about an hour, discussing GM specs and thoroughly answering every question I could think to ask.

Took a ride in their test vehicle. Very impressive. Started, drove and seemed like a normal Dmax until he got on it.

Standing start, had trouble keeping traction but didn't smoke (or I didn't see it).

Standing start after torquing it up a little, smoked the tires for a long way. VERY Impressive.

As explained to me, the Duramaximiser was designed to give a good HP increase with minimum effort. It does this by telling the PCM to boost the fuel pressure and increase the pulse width.

After the Maximizer was out, Joe was surprised at all of the interest in MORE POWER. As he said, If they want more power, then a lot more is available. I understood that he is doing the PCM programming himself. The PCM programming (Separate from the Maximizer) does change the timing. GM could do this themselves but they have a lot more "restrictions" if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, by the butt test it was very fast. As always, your butt can be fooled. You have to take it to the track for the proof. I will be interested in your results.

BTW, Joe's truck has 20k very hard miles on it with no problems.

Isn't competition great.

Lloyd

JOEDURAMAXIMIZER
09-11-2002, 02:01
We know most manufacturers can make power, that is the easy part, making it reliable is what we feel is most important.

The Duramax is a very complex electronically controlled engine. The timing as we mentioned prior, we feel should not be advanced with external components, however we agree that these external components can make more power by advancing the timing. There are specific requirements in which the engine requires the PCM to actually retard the timing for maximum efficient power delivery without harming the engine. The PCM can infact modify timing the most safely since it has access to all of the engines realtime sensors and operating parameters, not to mention the many tables it relies on to make the correct adjustments depending on the many conditions that may be present at any given time.
An external control box has limited access, and therefore we feel proper engine timing should not be left to the external control box as a reliable source of timing. We recommend that in the interest of reliability, the timing adjustments should only be made by the PCM itself.
The tow program was designed to develop an approx maximum, depending on elevation and ambient temp. of 1400 degrees.

We believe we have the most reliable, powerful and user friendly Duramax performance enhancements on the market today.... and we will strive to continue to bring you only the best for your Duramax truck.

GMC D-Max
09-11-2002, 07:22
Pullinpower, what was the price on the combo? Looking at PPE's website, the individual prices for the PCM and Duramaximiser don't add up to their "combo" price.

Alli-max
09-11-2002, 08:29
The jpg on the site shows an increase of 216 HP. But the text only talks about a 168 increase. Is this for tranny slippage reasons? Wont 5th start slipping around a 150 HP increase anyhow? My though it if you WERE to race this kind of power at a track, you need to dial it down as you go throught the track.

As for 200+ Plug in HP... WOW. Hard to believe. I cant imagine any faster with the juice and gutters!! :D

PP.... when you goto the track, DO NOT BE LAZY. Take the bumper off and go back to stock. And take all that CRAP out of the bed of your truck!!! Better yet, I'll drive for you. Lost a bunch of weight and could maybe pick up a few points for you tongue.gif

pullinpower
09-11-2002, 09:06
Alli,I think the 216 # is with the maximiser on full and the pcm on race setting,joe said he has to baby it in 5th then roll back on after it shifts. Well see as the big brown truck is supposed to be here today with all my goodies. :D

hoot
09-11-2002, 09:17
Wouldn't this be a good application for the OD lockout?

pullinpower
09-11-2002, 09:33
Well no sooner than I typed that the big brown truck pulled into the drive!!!! yeeeehawwww, may take off work early to do the install.

Hoot I beleive your right,looks like I'll be doing the od lockout.Do you think the truck will make a full quarter pass with no OD? I do have a 3700 rpm limiter now.

hoot
09-11-2002, 09:57
The reason I say this is cause mine seems to shift into 5th sooner than I would like any way. On a run where you just need to cream :D somebody in a short distance, I could prevent the early 5th.

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 13:50
Timing is a BIG key to performance of ANY engine, gas or diesel, and can be manipulated either forward or rearward not only with a reflash, but also with a module. I know Steve (TTS) has manipulated the timing in the reflash (now Power Loader), and done an EXCELLENT job of it as has Edge with their Juice. The Van Aaken modules also manipulated timing in their Smart Box. Anyone that ran the old v1.1 pre-timing module knows what a night/day difference it made!

If ANYTHING, a pressure box will cause more "clucking" (perceived as detonation by some) when the pedal is released as either the residual pressure is hanging up, OR the PCM is just slow in transitioning as the pressure falls off...

pullinpower
09-11-2002, 16:15
Well guys let me say one word.....FAST. You can put the pcm on 168 and turn the maximiser up and this thing will fly to 115 now!! My tranny is shifting alittle weird but I think its catchin on. Im impressed with this setup...

hdmax(mike)
09-11-2002, 16:29
pullinpower; I don`t beleive you! send the setup my way for further testing.
:D

115 mph in a Duramax? what about the poor ole mini vans?

How is it out of the hole? fast? let us know!

GMC D-Max
09-11-2002, 16:44
Hey! What about that package price?? :D

Wonder how the reprogrammed PCM would do with a Juice? Who's gonna be the first to try it?

pullinpower
09-11-2002, 17:17
Hdmax,its very quick out of the hole and chugs out the black smoke on the 168Hp setting with the maximiser on full :D All I have to say about the minivans is bring'em on :D I wont be seeing any taillights.

Gmc D-max, can't reveal :D ;) not sure how it will do with the juice,hurry send me yours and I'll try it out ;) :D

GMC D-Max
09-11-2002, 17:29
Dang! And UPS just picked it up as it's going back to Edge for the v4.3 upgrade! I'll just call Aaron and have him ship it back to you! ;)

On the price, that's cool. I was a little miffed as their price on the PCM is now at $695 (plus the $795 for the Duramaximiser) puts the price less than their combo price. Guess I'll just have to call them for specific pricing.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: GMC D-Max ]</p>

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 19:55
I'd be curious to know more about the transmission "wierdness" you refer to. Is it an rpm "flair" or surge at part throttle during shifts?

Dunno HOW the Allison is holding in if it is making that much power :confused:

Better go easy on the high speed runs or you'll be in traffic "dumb dumb school" with Mackin. :D Wonder if he'd more likely be the teacher's pet or the class clown???

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

big dipper
09-11-2002, 20:08
I see their site advertises 410rwhp. How is the tranny holding up if they are not monitoring it? They even said it was impossible to monitor it. I thought the Allison was only good for 345.

They claim 218rwhp gain, but I thought the average DMAX was putting down 245 or so. That would be roughly 463 or in that ball park.

Only way to see is take it to the track or use a G-Tech. I am very curious to see the results. The knobs or switches do look nice though. ;)

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

pullinpower
09-11-2002, 20:31
Kennedy,its more like a flair between shifts,I done the relearn thing and it has seemed to have gotten better.On my way to the top end I turned down the pcm and waited till it got into 5th and turned it back up and it held just fine all the way well past,I would say at least 110mph.

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 20:35
I'd be curious to know if that flair ever goes away completely. Would I be correct in stating that very mild pedal position is good, and very heavy pedal position is also pretty good, but maybe say 40% or so is where it flairs almost like the fuel applies before the clutch is released???

pullinpower
09-11-2002, 21:17
Well I would say it only does it on light throttle.I done the relearn thing and it seemed to get better,I'll know more tommorrow when I get a few more miles on her.

getupingo
09-11-2002, 21:42
sounds like you need another overdrive. A sixth gear that drops the rpms to 2000 at 90mph would be sweet. :D ;) What's the latest info on the possibility of a sixth gear anyway?

getupingo :cool:

Alli-max
09-11-2002, 22:20
I think Pullinpower is going to have to build another house or 2 before he thinks about a 6th gear! So go out and overcharge a young couple for a home PP!!

George Gozelski
09-12-2002, 23:50
Any of you guys out there leaking fuel with your Duramaximizer like I was?

pullinpower
09-13-2002, 06:55
George I think they have lowered the psi from the previous box's,I have checked mine and no problems.

I already have 2 kills under my belt,a 03 5.3L and a 01 dodge.Seems like everyone wants to race now :D Or is it just me? ;)

pullinpower
09-15-2002, 22:01
I love this adjustable pcm,you can adjust it on the fly,I picked up a few mpg's also on a 360 mile trip pulling 1600lbs to boot. I love this setup so far.. :D

Swayse
09-16-2002, 12:34
How about some drag strip times and some pyro numbers? I was leaning toward the Juice, but now I don't know.

Thanks, Pete

GMC D-Max
09-16-2002, 13:15
I just talked to PPE this morning, and they said the Juice will work just fine with their PCM. And for the brave and power hungry, stack the Juice, Duramaximiser, AND their PCM! :eek: :D

Also, their "Powerloader" will be ready in the next week or two! :cool:

car of the week
09-16-2002, 13:17
I have looked and looked for this web site that everyone is speaking of and I can't find it. Could someone post it please? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Ryan

GMC D-Max
09-16-2002, 13:45
http://www.pacificp.com/cgi-bin/cat/index.html

car of the week
09-16-2002, 13:57
Thanks GMC D-MAX smile.gif