PDA

View Full Version : Purolator oil filters?

maxtotow
09-10-2002, 11:59
does anyone have any experience with Purolator filter L35399? It is listed as specific for the Duramax engine. Pep Boys has them for $8.

mackey_62
09-10-2002, 12:17
Do a search for this topic

Topic: Oil Filter advisory.......

I think just about everybody will tell you not to use Purolator, Fram filters.
If you can't find the PF2232 around you, try the internet. Got mine for about $10 each with shipping from ACdirect. If you need one today I suggest going to the stealer and paying whatever he wants for it.

LanduytG
09-10-2002, 13:25
The Amsoil SDF-52 is 8.70 and its made just for the Duramax.
Greg

CSDMAX
09-10-2002, 17:16
Picked up a Purolator filter from Pep Boys..then when I was at NAPA a few days later and decided to pick up an extra and bought a NAPA Gold filter. Looked at both of them and QUICKLY realized that the NAPA filter was far superior. The Purolator was like an aluminum can. You know which one I used. I will never buy Fram or Purolator again.

Vette Racer
09-11-2002, 15:23
The new Purolator L35399 is a brand new filter that purolator just came out with for the Duramax. I have been using it with no problems on mine. I run purolator filters on everything I own including the race car, no problems. On top of that, I use their 15-40 Pro-line oil made for diesels which is made for them by Quaker state. Ran it in my old Dodge ctd and now in my Duramax. Works great. The oil actually holds 10 lbs more pressure hot than the shell oil did when I tried it. There's a lot of talk about warranty and oil filters so you have to do what you think is best for you. I would look at the other threads on this so you will have a clearer picture. Good luck!

Burner
09-13-2002, 09:15
My .02 worth.......
I quit using Fram filters when I found out their deal with Wally World. Wally World wanted to sell the "fram" brand, but not at high prices. They contacted the folks at fram and said that they would buy X-million of them.....but at their price. Fram sold for 5.00 and the dealer cost was 3.25. Wally World said that that they would buy fram x-million filters for 1.25 per. (The dollar figuers are only for representation and are not acutal.) Fram changed their filters, for the worst, so that they could sell to wally
World. Fram now makes a "thin wall" filter with glue and a rubberban. I did not believe this, so I cut one open to see for myself.....it's true!---- I no longer buy Fram filters. They are not what they used to be :( . I do not remember when this took place. I think that Fram changed the filters about eight years ago.

Rich

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: Burner ]</p>

mattb5150
09-14-2002, 17:52
I used to run Purolator Pure One filters on my 6.5L. Could only find at Pep Boys also. Dr. Lee did an article a few years back where he cut open filters, weighed the media, did oil analysis, and he recommneded Baldwin first, then Purolator Pure one second based on filtering ability etc., and price. I went to Baldwins cause I found a local dealer that would sell thne to me cheaper than the Pure One's. These are not the same as regular Purolator oil flters.

Matt B.

DieselDennis
09-16-2002, 09:21
CSDMAX

You're correct about the NAPA filters being good. I firmly believe in the WIX filters. You will find they are among the best. Yes WIX makes NAPA's filters. WIX, NAPA, CARQUEST, all the same filter. They will usually have similiar part number too. WIX having a 5 digit; NAPA using the last 4 digits; and CARQUEST using the last 3 digits, but adding a couple of other digits prior.

Oh, and Purolator and Fram :rolleyes: Well, just buy good filters, buy good oil. Good, clean oil and good, clean fuel is the best things you can do for any engine.