PDA

View Full Version : Winter Grill Covers

conradv
09-10-2002, 18:30
Do any of you "hot winter weather challenged" Duramax owners up north use radiator/grill covers? I know I'm only in the northern tip of Idaho, but will get my 2003 GMC D/A probably in November...

Who makes good ones?

Flyboy
09-10-2002, 18:33
The 2002's came with one. I don't know about the 2003's.

dmaxster
09-10-2002, 20:14
I do but only if it's below zero.....here In WI.....not to often.....

DMAX Daddy
09-10-2002, 20:22
My 2003 came with one. Its two pieces. One to cover grill and the other to cover the rest of the front. Not bad for a freebie.

Doubt I ever use it unless I visit the relatives in Reno in winter.

D-MAX
09-10-2002, 23:54
My 2002 came with one, as Option ( V10 Cold Climate Provision )Its two pieces. One to cover grill and the other to cover the front Bumper I use the one for the Grill Most all winter. ;)

thechevyhdman
09-11-2002, 00:10
I have em but never used em once, never even plugged my truck in yet, coldest since I bought it was around 5 degrees. One thing I do have to say is when its around 20 degrees out Id let my truck run ten minutes get on the highway, and after 10 more minutes of highway speed my truck would only be at 170 degrees. Id use it then but Im afraid any sand salt etc that gets behind the cover and my grille is gonna scratch her up. I thought it came with all diesels the cover I mean but guess it wouldnt make sense for a truck being delivered to FLA

deerhunter7
09-11-2002, 08:18
I use mine as soon as the average temp is around 30 . Truck warms up much faster ,and stays warmer when the temp heads toward o . Never have had a overheat problem ,but I don't do any towing in the winter. ;) ;)

AKDmax
09-11-2002, 13:07
Up here they are already starting to put them on. Mine goes on today because the truck isn't heating up anymore on the way to work. Alyeska runs their bumper covers year-round and they run alot of hills and hot temps in the summer. Sounds like you'll get a set with your new ride. They fit very nice and look good too...

Pizza Man
09-11-2002, 16:13
My 2001 came with one but I don't even know where it is. I put a winch on the front of my truck and it probably won't fit anyway.

AKDmax
09-11-2002, 17:10
Any of you want to get rid of a grill cover? I am looking for another one. Shoot me an E-mail if your interested.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

MNR
09-12-2002, 12:07
If you use the winter cover, particularly the bumper cover, you may want to consider pulling it every month or so and cleaning/waxing the crome.

I ran mine from late Nov. through early Mar. last year without doing so, and the bumper ended up with some rust and pitting.

This was in northern Ohio, BTW.

Paul

SledZep
09-14-2002, 13:16
I loved the look last year when I had it on the truck. I do not think I ever really needed it. I also ran it (grill only) above freezing and never had a problem. I am also looking for a deal on another one or two new ones. I only really need the grill.
I did pull it and clean under it twice and cleaned the cover then too.
I am at d.rowe@mindspring.com Shoot ma an email and we can discuss it.

needbigtruck
09-14-2002, 20:32
How are you guys cleaning them. I simply sprayed mine and then hung it to dry, but I have been considering throwing them in the washer with a little soap. What do you think!

SledZep
09-15-2002, 05:32
I washed it when I did the truck. I was thinking about throwing it in the washer but wasn't sure.
Has anyone done it?

Nels
09-15-2002, 20:19
I've washed mine twice so far. I put it in the washer on the gentle cycle, cold water. Tumble dry on low heat. Looks new when finished. No trouble so far with fit or anything else.

Nels
09-15-2002, 20:24
Regarding the above note, I have a front load drum type washer. Those of you with agitator type washers may want to check to see if the j-clips will get caught in the agitator. If nothing else, hand wash it in the sink and throw it in the dryer.

jasonv
09-16-2002, 21:27
I am from Canada and it gets real cold. Like minus 30 at times. Any way I have never used mine nor has my truck ever had trouble heating up. I heard that horse power drops with these on. I don't believe that, however, rumors were flying.

Jasonv

AKDmax
09-17-2002, 14:41
Could the guy from Big Spring Texas please send me another E-mail. The address you have gives me an un-deliverable error. Still looking for a GMC grill cover... anyone have one they want to part with?
Jasonv,
Put the cover on when it's -30 and see how much quicker it warms up in the winter. The loss of power doesn't make much of a difference since the roads aren't really hot-rodding quality at that temp. Has it been -30 since your truck was delivered in June 02?

jasonv
09-18-2002, 20:17
AKDMAX:

Canada may get real cold but as you may have guessed it has not been -30 Since June 02. This is my fourth D-max. The first one I owned was delivered in early 2001 so I have expirienced two winters the the D-max engine. I might try the cover this winter, although, to date I have had no trouble heating up. Maybe I just don't realize how quickly it will heat up with the cover.

jasonv

Idle_Chatter
09-18-2002, 21:57
Another advantage of the grill cover is that it "cleans up" the front of the truck aerodynamically and will add almost 1 mpg or more highway when it's cold enough out to forego the cooling. It seemed to just about balance out my "winter blend diesel" mileage loss while I was working in Wisconsin last Winter. When I left Wisconsin in February for Florida, I left it on all the way to north Georgia!

AKDmax
09-19-2002, 16:06
Jasonv,
You will be amazed at how fast it warms up with the cover. Looks like snow here in the next few days. My cover is on and ready. Just had to rib you a little since you had delivered in Jun 02 on your sig ;) ....

mackin
09-19-2002, 18:46
AKDmax

Quote: "Looks like snow here in the next few days." :eek:

That's to dam soon for me....... :(

MAC

YUCK for you.......Tonight
Mostly cloudy with scattered rain and snow showers. Fog patches developing by morning. Local accumulations of 1 or 2 inches over the hills. West winds 10 to 15 mph diminishing. Lows 30 to 35.

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SledZep
09-21-2002, 09:23
WOW, I cannot believe no one wants to get rid of a chevy winter cover... I am still looking.

AKDmax
09-21-2002, 13:22
I have received three replies for a winter cover. A guy from Big Spring Texas E-mailed me first, but his address keeps kicking back my reply. Send a note SledZep and I'll forward the replies to you. After I buy one of course ;)