PDA

View Full Version : Plugging in at work....

Shad
12-10-2003, 08:15
Does anyone else here plug there trucks at work?? I have been plugging my truck in at work when It gets below 20 outside while I work night shift for 12hrs. I have co-worker (D*D*E C*MM***S owner) giving me grief about having to do so. I tell him its easier on everything not that I have to...we have easy access to a plug...so why not? He thinks I should leave it home and drive something else for the winter. I am not buying a winter beater!

spra01
12-10-2003, 09:05
If you have easy access to a plug why would you not plug it in, I often hear people bragging about not having to plug in at extreme cold tempertures because it starts so well (Gas or diesl), I cringe when i think of the these engines starting and the needless damage being done. Take a bottle of oil at that temp and try to pour it, you will see what I mean. Another bonus is your truck will be throwing heat and windows clear while he is still shivering in his seat.
So plug in and when work buddie comments just smile and nod, we know he a moron.

moondoggie
12-10-2003, 09:23
Good Day!

If your co-worker ever bends over to pick something up, & you get a plumbers-butt shot, you

Gapper_ca
12-10-2003, 11:40
Who pays the power bill?

i plug mine in at work all the time. just better for the engine. if i was driving a gas would do the same.

Shad
12-10-2003, 13:21
Well I see you are all with me! For pennies I can start my engine with warmer oil ect. The place which I work can care less about me plugging in seeing how we are running 3-1000 horse compressor motors and other manufactering equipment...My truck is just another light bulb on. I just dont see anything macho about deliberatly abuseing my truck.

Happy Holidays!

C.K. Piquup
12-11-2003, 03:24
I see alot of Dodges plugged-in religiously when the temps first drop in autumn(45deg/night)and wonder why the worry.Cummins is a great motor,they just needed a place to put it.Unfortunately,Dodge was all but out of the truck bussiness(med duty already gone)and desperately needed that engine.Now you got all these swell-head newbie truck owners thinking they`re all-that.Two questions for them.1)Where are the old Dodges?2)Did instructions come with that truck,or were you just born like that?

kowsoc
12-11-2003, 05:34
I too would plug in whenever possible, easier on everything, especially in a diesel. One problem with bigger businesses up here is they cycle the power to the plug ins....30 minutes on, 30 off, I believe, to save energy costs. Not the greatest, but still some help. Tell your buddy that if he knew what goes on inside an engine on a cold start, he would plug his in also.

Ditto on the Cummins....great engine....too bad it's surrounded by a poorly built truck.

Cowracer
12-11-2003, 06:57
Tell Cummins-boy that a real man with a real truck goes 30,000 miles between oil changes, and see if he listens to you!

Walking is NOT macho

Tim

Shad
12-11-2003, 12:18
This dodge guy I work with has gone through 2 inj pumps and 1 turbo on his 95' with 120K on it. He is also one to start it and barely let it idle and he is off down the highway. I dont think its a bad truck he is just too hard on it. And get this... when it gets too cold out he drives his wifes caravan to work.. He...Hee..