PDA

View Full Version : Hard clutch pedal is due to overheating the fluid

needbigtruck
06-10-2002, 17:24
I've read a couple of messages on how the clutch pedal gets hard to push in after driving a long way without having to downshift, like on the open highway and your exit finally comes up. Well I had the same problem a few weeks back, My normal driving does not include a highway, so I didn't notice it. I took the truck to my local dealer thinking that we were going to have to go on a long ride for him to "expierence" it, but he looked for bullitens and then called tech assistance. They knew exactly what the problem is and how to solve it. Why they don't notify us I don't know. The problem is the brake fluid overheats between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder on long drives without using the clutch. It also causes the fluid to turn dark. The soulution is to wrap the line with heatshield tape and flush the old contaminated fluid out.I am having that done in the morning.

Big O
06-10-2002, 18:40
needbigtruck--let me know if that fixed the problem. Do they have a simple solution for the squecking clutch?

DSLPOWR
06-10-2002, 22:56
I was beginning to wonder it thats what was happening. Keep us posted on this, it may be time to get her in for her first service. :(

MaxRock
06-11-2002, 07:03
needbigtruck,

Is there any information the rest of use could use (service bulletin, flash...) that can help us explain to the dealership the problem and fix? Any "official" information would be great. Let us know if this solves the problem.

MaxRock

Amianthus
06-11-2002, 10:46
This is a new one for me. I've never heard of a clutch being able to over-heat the fluid. That DOT 4 stuff has such a high boiling point that is would all but impossible to overheat it in a clutch, IMO. Does it run in close proximity to the exhast? Close to anything with that much heat? Not to say it couldn't happen, but I've never heard of it.

Big O
06-11-2002, 20:11
needbigtruck--
what's the details?? any info to pass-on, spill the beans. :D :D

needbigtruck
06-14-2002, 07:21
Sorry the new living room floor, the computer has been OOS. Got the wrap on the 11th, and new fluid. I have no idea how they bleed the clutch. I won't be driving on a highway to test it until July 4th weekend. I will let you know how that is. Right now it seems fine. On the invoice they put "called TAC was informed to flush system and wrap with header tape. KO600 2.5 OG IE case #5657665". I don't know what all that means. Like I said I'll let you know after July 4th weekend. BTW i kind of agree with Amianthus, The line only comes within about 2 inches of the left exhaust manifold as it goes down to the clutch, can't see how this heats it up. But we'll see

mdrag
06-14-2002, 20:55
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Forum.