PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new truck lots of ?'s (long Post)

SMOKIN DEEZUL
09-12-2002, 09:25
Well so far I have been lurking on here great site not to many brand bashing going on. Duramax is a helluva engine and I am seing alot more of them. and GM is a much better truck than my Ford as far as ride quietness and creature comfort. I am getting a GMC with the DMAX and Allison as soon as the STEALER and I can come to an agreement. and I have a few mod questions. 1) I think someone on here has modified the filler neck on the truck looked by the pictures it was replaced with a radiator hose is this possible or do I have to spend the $$$ and get one from transfer flow? 2) I have a Racor Primary fuel filter set up I bought for my Ford.. Can I use this on the GM? is the GM's fuel Pump in the tank or on the frame rail? 3) Has anyone mounted up a Oil Gaurd Micron oil filter set up on one of these trucks their website was very vauge in whats required to do this? And is it really that hard to mount the probe for the Pyrometer how hard is it to pull the manifold and drill and tap are the manifold gaskets reusable? I have more questions but I gotta get to work..

Black Dog
09-12-2002, 10:36
I don't think I have ever seen anyone posting any kind of filler neck mod that actually allowed you to fill from a high volume pump, including the Transfer Flow set-up. Maybe you can use some Ford parts to do it.

The only fuel pump on a Dmax is the one that is gear driven off the engine. It sucks all the way from the tank. I don't think you could use a second filter unless you added a pusher pump between it and the tank.

ndamico
09-12-2002, 10:40
Transfer-Flow does make a different filler neck that allows you to fill from high-volume pumps. i have one with my 45 gallon tank and have filled up at truck stops before with no problem! the diesel just flies into the tank with no spurting!

bora
09-12-2002, 10:41
Black Dog:

I have successfully refueled two times at truck stops with the high volume pump. My truck is stock with the stock fuel filler neck.

THe nozzle fits fine and as long as I set the pump
to flow slower than the highest setting, it works out OK.

IndigoDually
09-12-2002, 10:47
Congrats on your impending purchase. Here's a couple of answers for you:

Some people have modified their fuel filler necks and have not had very good luck. They have removed a tube that is inside the hose and it causes a very big "Burp" of fuel to shoot out and coat the side of the truck. The key to fixing the situation(not that I have done this yet) is to get an old style filler neck that has an external vent hose that will not force the incoming fuel and the outgoing air to use the same path.

The manifold does not have to be removed to add a pyro. Just grease the drill bits and taps and keep the engine idling while you are drilling and tapping. The pressure of the exhaust will blow any chips out and wear safety glasses. The chips do fly. I have done a couple of trucks this way without any problems. It sounds more difficult than it really is, just remove the inner fender and you don't even need a right angle drill. If it gets too hot to work just shut down the truck for a little while and finish later.

Good luck with your new ride,

John

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
09-12-2002, 10:57
SMOKIN DEEZUL,

Welcome to the site and I hope you get a good deal on your truck. Search for the other thread and you'll find a number of us managed to get the truck at invoice.

Filler neck: Transfer flow works as advertised, but is a little pricey, IMHO. there was a thread mentioning the part no. for an older GM filler neck that would do the trick for a lot less.

The fuel pump is a dual stage puller/hp injection unit mounted on the engine. IMHO, there is enough restriction on this pump, like Black Dog said, it wouldn't be good for it. A fuel system engineer has pointed out it's never good for a pump to pull, the more distance or restriction, the worse it gets.

I've heard nothing on the oil guard filter setup, sorry.

The pyro install is easy, the hard part is digging out the tools. Put a sheet over the tire, remove the fender liner with needle nose pliers. Pick a good spot on the manifold, not too close to any fasteners. Start the engine and let it idle as you drill. The chips will blow out as you break thru the exhaust manifold, no need to unbolt anything. Shut off engine and grease the tap and tap the hole, like normal.

Good luck on your negotiations, see ya around!

Regards, Steve

SMOKIN DEEZUL
09-12-2002, 13:32
Thanks for the replies! I am wanting to get the truck for invoice but when I did this it seemed to have made quite a stir the truck was 43,270 when they came back the price was 42,900 or real close to that. Now I work in a dealership (ford) and I know for a fact the invoice isnt 400 under list. I know the cost on this truck is around 38 to close to 39K. But I guess if they wont deal I'll go somewhere else I dont mind travelling its getting the old Ford there so I can trade it. Its on tranny 4 and this one is about shot and remarkably on this tranny the truck has been stock with the exception of the exhaust. Oh well back to wishing and researching.

Greg

hdmax(mike)
09-12-2002, 16:35
Seeing how you want a GMC. Buckles just north of Springfield, Ohio sells at $49 over invoice. With no dickering. You can reach them on the web and even make the deal over the phone. For a little more they will deliver anywhere you want.

oneton
09-12-2002, 18:48
The problems I found here in FL was trying to find a dealer that would even come off of the sticker price. So I went to OH for mine.
Some have had good dealings with Buckels. I, on the other hand, did not. I even asked about delivering to FL and I got a resounding "NO" When I brought up that a DP memeber had his delivered to CA they said that he paid someone to do that. So I found the indentical truck, just in a Chevy model, at Trenors. Tom O'Brien went over the top to make sure everything went smoothly and they came real close to Buckels' price.

&lt;on edit&gt;
There is a site that will give yo the invoice price on any truck that you want to build. I can't remember it right now but someone will post it, I'm sure.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

Tim B
09-12-2002, 19:53
Use the web to find a dealer who will sell at a decent price. I bought my 02 for 1% over invoice. Invoice on these trucks is about 87% of list.
You can price one up on KBB.com and Edmunds.com to get the invoice price in addition to list.

Good luck.

Tim B.