PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additives

25whoabob
06-10-2002, 18:17
Is anyone out there using a fuel additive with their Duramax. If so which one and why. I use to use Stanydyne in my 94 Suburban with the 6.5. Is it suitable for the Duramax or is there something out there thats better. Thanks,
Bob
2002 Chevy2500HD/Crewcab/Shortbed
Banks 4"

mechanicwillie
06-10-2002, 18:48
i was talking to tech assitance today they told me the duramax is not suppose to be used no additives.

56Nomad
06-10-2002, 19:17
mechanicwillie,

I can't imagine that it will do any harm. Everything
that I have read and heard, says Stanydyne
"Performance Formula" is a plus for the D-max.

mackin
06-10-2002, 19:26
56Nomad,

Probably not but GM says no ADDITIVES ...... I think it boils down to the brain strength of individuals to stay away from any alcohol (dryer, water remover) in the additive which can wreck the seals in the pumps ..... So instead of saying this one is OK, this one not OK .... They make it simple no ADDITIVES ........I run a cetane boost, that's it ..... No water remover or nuttin ...... But you probably knew that anyway, so this is for the other guys who don't,or wonder why ........

MAC smile.gif

JEBar
06-10-2002, 20:03
I've added Howes treatment every tank to every diesel powered vehicle, tractor, etc. that I have ever owned. Never have had any sort of injector failure. May not help but sure hasn't hurt. smile.gif

mechanicwillie
06-10-2002, 20:19
i don,t think it would hurt either,that is what the men in suits say i have not heard of anybody useing additives out here.

56Nomad
06-10-2002, 22:49
mechanicwillie,

If you do a search, you'll find lots of D-max folks
sold on the additives....... here are two strings:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001170

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001739&p=

I think these will answer your questions.

SoMnDMAX
06-11-2002, 01:18
I run FPPF Total Power year round. It's a cetane booster and antigel. Definitely keeps fuel from gelling in the winter, and also adds a consistant 1-1.5 MPG for me.

I have also used Stanadyne Blue Performance Formula with similar results.

With the FPPF, I add a tad under 1/2 pint at each fill up, typically getting about five tanks per quart. With the Stanadyne, I used a half a bottle, 1/2 pint IIRC.

In the end, the FPPF is cheaper to run. Regardless of what GM says, I will keep running it.

(One edit- fixed my fluid measurement error)

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

Kennedy
06-11-2002, 08:06
Only the CHEAPEST, crappiest fuels out there might be additive free from the pump, and even then I would think there would be some additive in it.

I used Howes several years ago, but when someone pointed out the little "sea horses" and "tequila worms" floating around, I really soured on it.

Since then Ive run amny different stuff (except for Power Service which I WON'T run) and found the FPPF product to be the best AND most economical of the top shelf additives.

mackey_62
06-11-2002, 08:20
Kennedy,

I've been running "Power Source" from WalMart.
This the stuff you don't like? Just curious why, I know others are running it.

Please tell me if there's something wrong with it I don't know about.

Now I'm thinking it might be "Power Service"

25whoabob
06-11-2002, 08:55
Thanks for the info. Anybody out there using Amsoil fuel additive?

MAXed Out
06-11-2002, 09:20
I'm using Redline 85+ with every fill up and have noticed improved responsiveness.

Nels
06-11-2002, 10:27
I'm using the FPPF Total Power like SoMnDMAX, but I want to know where he's getting those 2-1/2 quart bottles! :confused:

(pint at each fill, 5 fills per bottle)

:D :D :D

Seriously, I have a 4 oz. plastic bottle I use for measuring. One per tank. Usually ends up being a 22-24 gallon fill, given my current habits.

mackin
06-11-2002, 14:55
This will bring back the WAR of ADDITIVES .........
It got extensively discussed,not even a year a go ..........

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002151&p=

MAC :rolleyes:

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackey_62
06-12-2002, 06:22
Okay, I looked up old thread. Don't want to start a "war" here, but....
Power Service is easily available to me. Looks to me the objection to this product (alcohol=bad)was cleared up in Amathius's email from Power Service.
They state NO ALCOHOL in their product. Is this stuff alright or not, something else I don't know about it? I realize theres better additives out there, can I keep using this one?
:confused:

neophyte
06-12-2002, 07:50
A co worker gave me a bottle of stanadyne and highly recommended that I use fuel additives. I never have before. But then again, this is my first diesel truck. There seems to be a lot of pros and a lot of cons on this subject. I still have not made up my mind. Perhaps using a fuel additive once in a while wouldn't hurt.

GrayMax
06-12-2002, 08:17
No matter what brand you use, you will always have critics. People love Amsoil - some hate it. Some love the Mobil 1 Synthetic for the differential, some swear by the grape juice. The EZ Amp is better than the juice - the juice is better than the EZ Amp. The K&N Air Filter is junk - the K&N is the best thing since sliced bread....yada yada yada.........Here is a suggestion: If you guys have been using a product and it works for you, makes you happy and gives you a warm fuzzy, then keep on keeping on. Have a nice day.

I will say this, my tranny never acted up prior to using the Power Service additive
:rolleyes:

Diesel to the MAX
06-12-2002, 08:36
Neophyte, rest assured you have used Diesel Additives, you just did not know it. In the winter, diesel additives are always added at the distributor and sometimes at the retailer to prevent jelling.

Where I fill up locally, they add additives all winter long. The main reason is they supply diesel to the county highway department and to the central school system. Last thing the gas station wants is to receive a call from the school administrator informing him that they have a stranded bus with 40 kids on it and it is 5 degrees out side. Also another added benefit is he re-fills his tanks every two days, so I don

Kennedy
06-12-2002, 08:50
Those at the Rendezvous had a chance to see the FPPF sample card showing the "fish eggs etc created when mixing the various additives 1:1 with water. The FPPF Fuel Power (key ingredient in Total Power) was absolutely clear, in fact when testing this mix with water finding paste, the paste will not locate it...

6600 Duramax
06-12-2002, 09:28
Nobaody has yet commented on whether or not the POWER SERVICE additive will HURT the Duramax. I think that is the main question, not wheather to use it or not to use it. I was also running POWER SERVICE additive till reading here it could do damage. Would like to hear if it does damage why and how. Then, why the hell are they selling the stuff?
This is also my first diesel so I am new to this additive stuff. :confused:

Thanks Guys, not trying to start an additive war.

Kennedy
06-12-2002, 10:20
In fairness to Power Service, I believe a LOT has changed over the years, but it WAS reputed to be largely alcohol based.

There is also some potential that when referring to alcohols, words can be bent...

I just feel the FPPF Total Power is a far superior product at a decent price.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

odoh
06-12-2002, 12:55
GrayMax ~ Your implication is that you experienced tranny issues after use of Power Service additive? I'm wondering about the connection between a fuel additive and the transmission. Am I missing something? I realize I may not be the brightest penny ~ odoh

mackey_62
06-12-2002, 13:04
GrayMax,
I'm confused as well. Perhaps you were only trying to be humorous. Unless of course you put FUEL additive of ANY kind in you tranny.

:D Mac

mattb5150
06-12-2002, 20:50
What about additives and the effect they may have on a cat?

Matt B.

GrayMax
06-12-2002, 21:21
Yes guys, I'm joking!! Relax, go see a comedy and bring your sense of humor to the forum.

On a serious note: Bring the facts to the board on additives being adverse to engines - gas or diesel. Until then, I will continue to use them as I have since 1990 without problems.

odoh
06-12-2002, 22:23
"There is also some potential that when referring to alcohols, words can be bent..."

I'm wondering re Power Service statement of no alcohol being used. I can accept that, but (wonder if they bent that a lil') I read on the container that it disperses water in diesel fuel. Isn't it the water getting into the injectors the issue rather than the method (alcohol)in which it gets there?
Yet JK notes another additive when mixed w/equal parts of water, no longer has the characteristics of water (w/o alcohol yet).
I guess in my mind, the water separator is to be relied on to handle the water issue and an appropriate additive is to address cetane boost, seal protectant etc.
Suppose it would help to know the motive (not heresay) behind the GM additive policy. ~ odoh

56Nomad
06-13-2002, 23:43
I picked up the following literature at BD Power
during the the 2002 Rendezvous in BC, Canada. I'm not a dealer or have any financial interest.... just interest!
Actually, I bought a case from BD

STANADYNE DIESEL FUEL CONDITIONER- PERFORMANCE FORMULA

The premium, all-season, all purpose diesel fuel additive, designed to
tackle virtually any diesel fuel related problem.

Approved by many OEMs including GM, Ford, Deere ~ Navistar.
Meets Cummins LlO Superior Deposit Test for cleanliness.

Cold Weather Protection

SoMnDMAX
06-14-2002, 01:29
Nels, you caught me....

I should have said a half pint. My bad. redface.gif

Amianthus
06-14-2002, 09:08
Originally posted by GrayMax:
"No matter what brand you use, you will always have critics. People love Amsoil - some hate it. Some love the Mobil 1 Synthetic for the differential, some swear by the grape juice. The EZ Amp is better than the juice - the juice is better than the EZ Amp. The K&N Air Filter is junk - the K&N is the best thing since sliced bread....yada yada yada........."

The rice side is crispier than the corn side, Monistat 1 doesn't work as well as Monistat 7. :D (moderator, edit as you see fit).

Like I stated in the other posting, I think that GM doesn't want additives in the fuel for the same reason that DC doesn't want additives in our trucks. That inserts a huge unknown as far as the possibilty for damage to the engine, and hence big chances for warranty concerns. People used to put all kinds of goofy stuff in as an additive. Some of it good, some not. Either way, as I see it, if you find a good quality additive and stick with it, you shouldn't have a problem.
Also, kennedy is absolutely right. You would really have a hard time finding a station that doesn't have an additive package put in it either from the delivery driver or from the refinery.