PDA

View Full Version : FSD Resistor

Gapper_ca
12-10-2003, 08:15
what is the purpose of the resistor?
i have seen some on e-bay with and with out it.
some are a # 9 and have seen smoe posts for a # 5 and #7.

where does it actually go?

thank you

Shad
12-10-2003, 08:20
I think its for calibration and I believe its where you plug the harness in.

slagona
12-10-2003, 09:01
There are some tolerances in the pump. A pump is calibrated by selecting the "correct" resistor, which fine tunes the fuel flow. The average pump uses a #5 resistor. The higher the resistor number, the more fuel the pump will put out (we are talking very small amounts here).

The resistor is matched to the pump to get "proper" fuel flow, not the PMD (or FSD). The resistor is simply installed in the connector of the PMD (FSD). A cheap way to get more fuel flow is to use the #9 resistor with your pump. The resistors range from a #1 to a #9. Aftermarket suppliers can go higher, but with the risk of throwing codes.

The ebay community has picked up on the demand for #9 resistors and lack of knowledge of the 6.5 Diesel Market. The resistors are available from any Stanadyne Dealer for about $12. Ebay is getting $40 or more for them (plus shipping). Makes me want to make a trip to the local dealer and buy out their stock of #9's. A second "supplier" has entered the ebay market recently, selling the #9's for about $30 - what a deal!

Adding more fuel alone probably won't do anything for your performance. Adding more boost along with the fuel might. You probably wouldn't notice a "seat of the pants" difference by just changing resistors.

Gapper_ca
12-10-2003, 10:06
ok that makes sense now.
have noticed the FSD for sale there for 1/3 price
they are supposedly new but noting about the resistor is there.

just trying to save a buck or two, just not sure where to save it...

pannhead
12-10-2003, 15:21
i saw the same thing on e-bay, and thought what a jerk :mad: ....i feel like e-mailing all the bidders with info on where to get them at a FAIR price

Kennedy
12-10-2003, 17:04
Thing is, I still stand by the fact that it causes NO change in fuel delivery until you blank it from the PCM's memeory so it has to relearn.

All you have to do to prove this is remove it and drive. It will not set a code. Then do TDC learn, and it WILL set a code...

Tractor
12-10-2003, 18:04
I believe that for each number in the resistor you increase the fuel flow .08 percent. From a 5 to a 9 is 4 percent more fuel. That is if you do what JK says to get that fuel delivery.
TRACTOR

Jim P
12-10-2003, 18:13
John Kennedy,

I know this has been asked before, but how can I do a tdc learn on my 95 truck without a tech 1 or 2 scanner? I have access to an otc scanner that can read the timing but I can not change it. I'm sure if anyone would know it would be you.

charliepeterson
12-10-2003, 18:46
OBD I (94-95) will not do the TDC Relearn without a bi-directional reader like the tech II.

OBD II (96-present) you can do a key on engine off accelerator to the floor dance... I believe this can work I've never tried it though. One of our fellow members here E-Mailed me the steps to do this TDC proceedure.

mudhog
03-24-2004, 20:27
I would be interested in learning the method of onboard computer relearn command via use of the ignition key sequence.
The last post mentioned he had an email on how its done.

Please post or email me any info or links on the procedure.

Thanks
Frank