PDA

View Full Version : Gauges Installed, Thanks Jim Bigley!!

Carli_max
03-10-2002, 11:09
Just finished the install of the pyro and Boost gauges. I want to personally thank Jim Bigley for the time he spent putting together that great article "Got Gauges". It walked me right through the install. Everything was just as he spelled out in the article. The drilling and taping of the manafold turned out to be a piece of cake!! The only snag I had was that DIS sent the wrong kit for the Boost gauge, they sent an oil pressure kit instead of a boost kit. So when it comes, I just have to install the Tee fitting into the rubber hose and I'm in business. Thanks again Jim :cool:

Carmen

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 18:26
I installed my autometer ultra-lite gauges this moring with a little help from the article on this site and I'll also agree, it was a piece of cake! It took about four hours and the two biggest pain in the ***es were removing the plastic pins that attach the inner fenderwell (is there a special pair of pliers made for pulling the center pin out?) and getting the hole cut in the rubber boot to run the wires through. I couldn't reach it from the cab side so I cut both sides of the boot from the engine compartment so my slits were quite a bit bigger than 1". As for the pins, it probably would have helped to spray them with some WD-40 as they seemed to be quite sticky. I used two flat blade screw drivers, one in each hand, to remove the center but kept jabbing them into my hands. :mad: I think a pair of pliers with thin flat ends would be ideal.

Anyway, empty with stock exhaust, the highest readings I was able to achieve were 21 psi and 1100* on a full throttle acceleration run. I was surprised at how much the EGTs vary with the slightest inclines.

Sorry for the long post and thanks again.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Brandenburg ]</p>

More Power
06-05-2002, 20:28
You are entirely welcome...

I've corresponded with quite a few others who have installed gauges. Most didn't have any trouble, especially those who found the correct fuse-taps.

I think Hoot pointed out in a post a while back that there is another rubber boot that works well for getting the wires through the firewall. This one (if I remember correctly) is below the one I used.

The important thing is get the gauges.

MP (aka Jim)

hoot
06-05-2002, 20:38
For anyone that plans on running more than just the gauge stuff through the firewall, I recommend you drill a 1" or larger hole in the location provided by GM for the plow package I believe. It is stamped flat just for a hole and is really easy to access from the engine compartment and inside the cab. I also lined mine with a split rubber tube to prevent chafing.

Here's the location looking at the firewall, it's on the drivers side in the middle of this picture..

http://www.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/propane/wire.jpg

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 20:52
Now you tell me! I actually saw your picture last winter when I was looking for a hole to route the high idle wire through but I couldn't find it. I have the plow package but I guess I didn't look hard enough! I just checked and it is indeed there however, it is plugged by a big rubber grommet with an uncut nipple sticking out of it that camouflages it in with the rest of the firewall.

Kennedy
06-05-2002, 22:25
Aaron,

We are tentatively planning to be in your neck of the woods on Friday. If UPS pulls through for me tomorrow, we might-could have a special delivery for you!

Brandenburg
06-06-2002, 06:23
Great! :D