PDA

View Full Version : Is the Juice compatible with CA emissions?

1919a4
06-12-2002, 10:48
Got a 2002 CC SB D/A and am considering the Juice. However, I haven't noticed anyone using the Juice who has a catalyst and EGR-equipped truck.

Anyone here with experience? The EGR is computer-controlled, so it's a potential source of an SES.

SImon

DMAX Daddy
06-12-2002, 11:02
Im very interested in this topic too.

I was considering a Duramaximizer since they are based in CA, but two emails have gone unreturned so they are out.

tpitt
06-12-2002, 11:46
Just tried two of them ( yes two of them ) on mine and was setting codes. These were the 3.0 versions. Talked to BD and Aaron at Edge. Aaron had me send both of them back to him and he is reprogramming them to the lastest versions. From what I understand the 3.2c version will work on our Ca. e.g.r. pickups. I will keep you posted when I get them back. tpitt

ALLAMERICAN1
06-12-2002, 12:35
I have been running the 3.2c version for about two weeks and have not gotten any codes. I am having problems getting it to change between power levels on a consistant basis. Very impressive though, the power is awesome. I would just like to change once in awhile. Anyone else out there having this problem?

Kennedy
06-12-2002, 13:27
This will be interesting as GM has also added some kind of stupid flapper (throttle plate) into the mix as well. Time will tell what a PITA this EGR system will be...

I thought I understood v3.0 to be the first edition of CA compliant software.

tpitt
06-12-2002, 13:59
John:
I not sure what version Christain used when we were up there, (remember I was setting codes there also) Christain had told me when I called him later that the problems were taken care of for Ca. models, so I ordered two (One for me and one for a friend} One had version 3.0 on the back and the other didn't have anything. Both were new boxes. I talked to Aaron and he had me count the pins. Apparently they didn't have the right number and he had me return them to him. I just sent them back Monday so it will probably be next week or so before I get them back. It is kind of frustrating though, and I hope the update will solve the problems. Good old Calif. and the liberal goverment, tree hugging nuts. Terry

DMAX Daddy
06-12-2002, 14:25
Yeah CA treehuggers, made us quit riding in the riverbottom cause we "killed" a certain type of plant, yet the spray they were using to rid the area of a pest the treehuggers hated was killing the plants we werent allowed to drive on.

Figure that one out

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-12-2002, 14:48
DMAX Daddy,

Why bother trying to make sense out of it?

You have to understand the political, sociological and regional attitudes that most tree huggers are infected with prior to making any sense of their actions.

When you turn a bunch of liberal east coast urbanite politicians loose in a western state you get all sorts of #$%&ed up behaviorisms.

In example, lets look at Catalina Island which is owned by the Nature Conservancy (Thanks Mr. Wrigley).

For years, Catalina was a huge and affordible bowhunting opportunity for Californians. The goat and pig populations were being held in check.

However, since the Nature Conservancy is against hunting and this successful population control via hunting was in direct opposition to their agenda that ALL HUNTING IS EVIL AND SERVES PURPOSE, they started to dramatically increase the cost to hunt Catalina.

The animal numbers, wild Spanish Goats and Wild Pigs, started to sky rocket due to lack of hunting because of this increased cost.

The sky rocketing wildlife population started to 'endanger' the natural flora of Catalina Island... So their answer?

Since hunting was 'clearly unable to manage the wildlife numbers' (despite having done so for 100 years when it was a low cost affair), they decided to shut down ALL hunting on the island and hired a couple of Helicopters with shooters using Ar-15s to kill wildlife.

An estimated 10,000 Spanish Goats were killed and left to lay on the island.

The Nature Conservancy's response to the public outcry of the animal waste?

It should really help the Catalina Kit Fox, and other scavangers, increase their population.

Other mismanagement in this state is easier to find than building materials at Home Depot.

With all respect to New Yorkers, it is what happens when you have a western state with amazing natural resources and politicians that were born and raised in the Bronx...

Just a frickin mess...

Another example of this east coast liberal attitude was clearly demonstrated during the Hollywood bank robbery.

Two CRIMINALS, wearing illegally obtained body armor, robbed a Hollywood bank using 2 ILLEGAL full automatic AK-47s. The Police were being cut to shreds because they were armed with 9mms.

A couple of Policemen went to a huge Gun Shop in the Hollywood area that has catered to Police and Civilian shooters for decades.

Without hesitation, the shop gave the officers a large number of Colt Ar-15s (california sporters) and ammunition.

The thanks that the Gun Shop received?

Less that a year after the incident, Los Angeles instituted a "one gun a month" law that eventually ran this company into bankruptcy and out of business.

And you are sitting here trying to figure out why a 1-ton diesel truck has Cats, EGR valves and other sh*tty emmisions equipemnt?

Unfortunately living in the People Rebpublik of Kalifornia,

So Cal

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

Kennedy
06-12-2002, 20:07
The whole CA emissions thing could get tricky as the MAF sensor, boost sensor, and EGR must all coincide within certain parameters.

Let's hope things go smoothly. Desert Diesel's truck is being fitted with an altered ECM reflash to deal with these issues as we speak...

DMAX Daddy
06-12-2002, 21:57
Aye ****ed me off B&B went out of business :mad:

I bought my Remington 700 PSS there

Kennedy
06-14-2002, 11:32
What ist will likely take, is for Edge to acquire a CA emissions 2002 for direct testing. I have seen this butterfly firsthand, and if memory serves, it is in the casting leading FROM the intercooler to the intake manifolds. This would be the one with the intake heater. Near as I can guess, it is there to create a pressure differential between boost and exhaust psi so that the EGR flows properly.

Now upping the performance levels can potentially increase pre turbo back PSI so in a nutshell, what may be occurring is an excess of EGR flow...

tpitt
06-14-2002, 15:09
Just received the two boxes back from Aaron. Man thats good service, I just sent them in Monday. These were updated to version 3.5c. If I have time tonight I will install it and see if I set any codes. Between my fulltime job and "panhandling" I don't have a lot of free time. I have a D****E I've got to finish putting a 4" exhaust on before I can play with mine. As soon as I install the "juice" I will post the results. Terry

Desert Diesel
06-14-2002, 16:32
tpitt,

Let us know how much it smokes if it works. Especially during stop and go traffic when it’s hot outside.

stillracing
06-14-2002, 22:35
I'm not setting any codes yet. But it smokes alot on exceleration and runs high egt's don't know what version my juice box is?

tpitt
06-14-2002, 22:47
Just got done installing mine a little while ago. Only tried settings 2 (tow haul ) and 3. Getting a lot of smoke on acceleration from dead stop on both settings. Don't know about e.g.t.'s yet as am waiting for BD to get their X-moniter to market. Will try it on 2 and 1 settings tomorrow. I don't want to get carried away until I can moniter it. No codes set with this version, and it flat gets with the program. :D :D tpitt

GBurton
06-14-2002, 22:59
Way to go Terry

It sure didn't take you long to get home and get on here. Thanks for the ride in your "juiced" 2002 GMC. He's right, no codes set and gets moving real quick but that smoke gotta go.

George

tpitt
06-15-2002, 22:36
Tried different settings on my pickup. Not sure if smoke is going to be an issue if driven right. Also I don't know how to confirm the different settings. BD'S. instructions are pretty vague. I don't have any lights flashing at me or throttle pulsating or anything like that. Haven't had a lot of time to research things right now and have to return to work tomorrow on my fulltime job. I also don't want a lot of soot all over my trailer when pulling. I'm going to try to make it to Napa, Calif. for the get together there ( truck pulls and etc. I wont be pulling though ) the 5th & 6th of July. If I go I will be taking my trailer and will see if it soots it up. If any of you others are interested go to diesel-central.coms web page. Its the Norcal event.

tpitt

1919a4
06-17-2002, 21:24
Version 3.2C arrived today (thanks Kennedy!)

No codes set.

Runs like a raped rhino.

Smoke visible with level 2, and level 4 on full-throttle starts from dead stop.

Anything less than full throttle does not smoke, nor does it smoke with full throttle and a head of steam.

SImon

2002 CA-emissions D/A CC SB LT

tpitt
06-18-2002, 22:57
For all of you 2002 D/A Ca. emissions owners. I'm headed to Utah next week to Edge. Talked to Aaron and we set up a date to work on the box for our D/A's. Also plan on stopping at A.T.S. and picking up their dual exhaust set up. Ouch!! :( :( If I have a chance to talk to Steve I'll ask him about the reflash and what he did for his transmission. I'm not really interested in the reflash, but am interested in transmission upgrades.
Smoked one of my friends' Dodge this morning. This was one we put in a big fuel plate, injectors and 4" exhaust. The "juice" is impressive. I'll keep everyone posted.
tpitt

DMAX Daddy
06-19-2002, 10:18
Tpitt,
please keep us informed. Im really really curious as to how Im going to set up my '03 exhaust wise (prob Cat back system :( ), but I plan on getting the juice after 1000 miles or so. That will give me a chance to get gauges/exhaust/air intake mods done so it can breath.

mackin
06-19-2002, 15:47
How come no one likes smoke??? After all it is a oil burner ...... I want more smoke, smokey as all right with me, lets them know it's a stinkin rippen DIESEL ....... OH YA !!!!!!!!

MAC tongue.gif

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GBurton
06-19-2002, 18:32
"mackin
How come no one likes smoke??? After all it is a oil burner ...... I want more smoke."

Some of us tow white or light colored trailers. I can't speak for everyone else but I don't want to have to clean diesel exhaust crud off the front and side of my trailer.

In addition, smokey diesels attract the envro police. There are a lot of them who would like to remove all internal combustion powered vehicles from the world. If you don't think so, just ask one of them at the next envro meeting. Be sure that you don't ask them how they got to the meeting :rolleyes: or if they live in a Redwood sided house and have a Redwood deck like I do! tongue.gif

George

DMAX Daddy
06-19-2002, 19:32
Aye, the enviro police. Had one guy scream at me about the emissions of my Suburban one day as we sat at a traffic light. Of course, his VW bug was fumigating the neighborhood for mosquitos, but those were not 'bad' emissions. :rolleyes:

Personally, my wife has been totally against me getting a diesel. The quietness of the DMAX is the only way I got away with it, and if she doesnt see smoke it might keep her from remembering it actually is a diesel!

Tsckey
06-19-2002, 20:07
I'm hoping the Edge folks can figure a way of working with the CA Duramaxes that doesn't give them bad breath. The air is much cleaner now than in my youth and I'm not anxious to return to those days. Plus, I'm reluctant to give those of the knee jerk persuasion anymore reason to hate diesels. Still, a tire-shredding blast to 60 in just over 7 seconds has a certain appeal....

TC

mattb5150
06-19-2002, 20:34
Mackin,

Here in CA all someone has to do if they see a smoking vehicle is call 1-800 EXHAUST and report your vehicle. If you have a diesel they will most likely make you have a smoke test done. Even if you pass it by say removing Juice or re-installing your cat, you still have to take the time and pay out of your own pocket for the test at an authorized service center, which are usually only open during normal man's work day.

That's why we here in CA don't like smoke. I have personally reported old clunkers that were pouring out so much exhaust I was coughing. A few weeks ago I reported some punk that cut me off in a F##D Mustang GT that was obviously illegal due to its lingering gasoline exhaust, I could see it at idle as he sat in front of me while I wrote down his license plate number!

P.S. to you guys who live in Willits, I cut down redwood trees for a living, are you guys associated with logging, being from Willits and all.

Matt B.

tpitt
06-19-2002, 22:18
mattb5150:
Not a logger anymore. I could see the handwriting on the wall. I do miss it somewhat though. I especially liked to build road. Went to work for Mendocino County for a few years, quit them as a road foreman and went to work for the Calif. Dept. Of Forestry as a Heavy Fire Equip. Operater. We run Cat on the Fires and mechanic or do projects the rest of the time. My old partner and I used to do some logging on Jackson State Forest for C.D.F. They have a little sawmill and we supply lumber for state projects, but that is stopped for now.
My oldest son is a timber faller, but is a mechanic at this time. He wants to go back falling, but I really try to discourage him. Logging is an endangered species in Calif. any more. Really can't say all that I would like to on the subject, but you can see who I work for. :( :( tpitt

tpitt
06-30-2002, 16:50
I'm Back. Just got back yesterday from Edge. With stayover at Reno for meeting with wojo, stillracing, rlc, and RenoDmax. Anyway they were able to take out a lot of the lowend smoke, with little loss of lowend power. I'm not sure of what version this will be and what they will be doing for other modifications on the upcoming boxes. I will be in touch with Aaron in a few days and will update again. Part of the reason is I am still a little in the dark as two of them were re-doing the box while Aaron and I were at lunch. This pick-up really hauls and I am tickled with the performance.
While I was there in Salt Lake City, I also talked to Steve Benson at A.T.S. and they are in the process of developing a programmer that will be able to reprogram our computers from the OBDII port. When at A.T.S. I had them install the stainless duals on my truck. If you want a good sounding nice looking set-up this is the way to go. Its too bad they are so expensive, but I really like the way they look and sound. This is a well engineered kit and should last forever. As I learn more after talking to Aaron I will keep everyone posted. Terry

GBurton
06-30-2002, 19:07
mattb5150 aasked
"P.S. to you guys who live in Willits, I cut down redwood trees for a living, are you guys associated with logging, being from Willits and all."

Nope, but I have been know to make soup every once in a while, you know "Cream of Spotted Owl" and other tasty items like that. It's getting harder to find those things lately, they are so stupid, they don't seen to understand that they can't live in any forest except for "Old Growth
:rolleyes: Timber".

George