PDA

View Full Version : High Idle

Max Power
07-07-2003, 13:23
My 03 Dmax is a little over a month old so it has not seen any cold weather yet. I am wondering if the duramax will go into high idle when it drops below a certain temperature? I know the furds do that and I assume the duramax does too?

If not, is it possible to install a high idle like on the 01's and 02's? I would be interested in doing this mod either way if it can be done.

Thanks!

[ 07-07-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Max Power ]

Minn-kota
07-07-2003, 15:57
No, it won't go into a higher idle automatically like the F's do, but you can wire it in like some have done here with their 01-02's.

I have a 2003 like you and it was very easy to do, with a few pointers from the fine folks on this website. Do a search for High Idle or Fast Idle and you'll find many posts. Visit Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) for a step by step procedure on how to enable this feature. I used John's instructions and it was very similar to the 01-02's.

Instead of using a toggle switch mounted on the dash somewhere, I wired the +12V source to a wire above the brake pedal which worked really slick. This idea was also mentioned here.

Good luck!

Minn-kota
07-07-2003, 16:01
BTW, the two high idle RPM setpoints are around 1150 and 1800. I felt they were a little high for my taste so I had the dealer hook up his Tech 2 and bring them down a tad. Can't wait until it's cold to try it out. Did I just say wait until it's cold?? lol

Tim Richardson
07-07-2003, 17:39
Since I live in the south, the only reason I would want the high idle, is so I can leave my truck running during the summer, and be able to have my a/c on. Can somebody tell me, if it would hurt the engine, if I let it idle for 30 minutes or so, without using the high idle?

Thanks

Tim

a64pilot
07-08-2003, 07:04
Tim,
IMHO it won't hurt it at all ;) BTW, your not the only one whose primary use is for the A/C. It's also great for jump starting another vehicle.

Max Power
07-08-2003, 08:19
a64, he was asking if it was ok to idle it for 30 minutes WITHOUT using the high idle.

Thanks guys for your help. I did a search and found most of the information I need. I think.. Where does one find the pins needed for the plug?

Minn-kota
07-08-2003, 08:24
Where does one find the pins needed for the plug? [/QB]Check with your local Chevy dealer parts dept. They should have them.

thechevyhdman
07-08-2003, 16:21
Yeah high idle will be great in the summer to have on for half an hour especially if your not near your truck....That way in case something unexpected should go wrong (overheating etc.) your motor will definitely sieze.
I would never let my truck idle at stock idle for more than a half hour....especially if your inside/ paying attention to something else. Never mind the soot build-up. Maybe its just me, maybe Im too attached to my truck, but running unattented 1/2 hr aint happening with me, not unless im within a few feet of it. My own .02 cents. Bill