PDA

View Full Version : Juice problem?

Brian19692
07-07-2003, 18:23
I have 85000 miles on the truck. Had the juice about 70000 of them. Latly I've noticed a big cloud of black smoke on hard accel and when I ease into it around 60 miles an hour. I know the cloud hasn't been there before. I unhooked the juice and the cloud went away. Ran it for a week with out Juice and after hooking it back up today noticed bad defueling at shifts that wasn't there before. I changed air and fuel filters and the smoke is still there. Is the juice causing the smoke or is it just making it noticable? Anything else I should check?

mackin
07-07-2003, 18:44
Originally posted by Brian19692:
I have 85000 miles on the truck. Had the juice about 70000 of them. Latly I've noticed a big cloud of black smoke on hard accel and when I ease into it around 60 miles an hour. I know the cloud hasn't been there before. I unhooked the juice and the cloud went away. Ran it for a week with out Juice and after hooking it back up today noticed bad defueling at shifts that wasn't there before. I changed air and fuel filters and the smoke is still there. Is the juice causing the smoke or is it just making it noticable? Anything else I should check? Them's Santa Claus AKA Broker miles ..... :eek:

2002 Truck 85000 miles ??? Hole'y crap .....

I would say the Juice maybe I say maybe would produce more smoke then stock, depends Which version ??? If you roll into the throttle OD no boost at 60, don't force a downshift I'll see smoke too ....

If you unhooked the Juice for a week or so then drive some considerable miles stock, put the juice back on, you will I'd imagine experience some different shift characteristics while it's (tranny) relearning .....

Have someone check out your Injector balance rate when you get a chance ..... Perhaps you have a couple two three on the way out, to make sure, or rule out .....

Mac :D :D :D

Kennedy
07-07-2003, 19:01
How is your boost? Intercooler clear? Fuel filter fresh?

I've found that the CA program versions work quite nice for clean day to day driving. I'm hoping we can get Edge to give us jumpers like the EZ boxes so we can delay the onset till a few PSI of boost is achieved.

Brian19692
07-07-2003, 19:26
I was hauling cars for a living for about 6 months. The miles add up quicker than I expected. I put about 400 miles on it stock this week. I was wondering if the trans was "relearning". I looked for the smoke when I first installed the box because I didn't want any smoke. I didn't see any smoke at all at first. Now it is just i embarrassing.

I don't have a boost gauge, I'll check the intercooler, and the fuel filter has about 700 miles on it.

The dealer I go through will test drive it and if they can't duplicate the problem they won't do anything. The machanic knows I have juice but told me to take it off for warrenty work. Are injectors covered under the 100K warrenty? If so how do I get them to look at it w/o juice on it?

PS I can prove my miles. I know how hard I run and have doubted others miles since I found this board. 85K was in 7 months running legal about 15% of the time.

mackin
07-07-2003, 19:29
No need to prove anything I was just kidding with ya .....

Tell the dealer you have a fluctuating idle, hot and cold ......
Yes it is under warranty with a 100 dollar donation ....

Mac ;)

sdaver
07-07-2003, 21:33
45k in 11 months :D

Brian19692
07-09-2003, 17:39
I fiugured you were kidding. I just remember reading a post awhile back saying that their trucks ran legeal 99.9% of the time. I know that is BS. I'm taking the truck in next week.

WhiteDuramax
07-09-2003, 20:38
That is normal with the juice, my buddies 03 puts out a nice thick cloud on hard acceleration and in OD without any boost. I wouldnt be embarrassed, black smoke looks neat. Except for the 6.5 that pulled out in front of me the other day that left a cloud behind him for the mile down the road that he was in front of me, it was bad.

MountainMax
07-10-2003, 09:17
I just posted a topic last week about a similar situation.(Black smoke after Juice reinstall) I disconnected the Juice for VERY HEAVY towing. I didn't want to chance it being left in the wrong mode. After reinstalling it to level 4 reg. juice, I am getting a puff of heavy black smoke on hard accel. from stop and some smoke on accelleratiuon at other times. It hasn't done this before. I was afraid I had fried an injector towing. The concensus seems to be that the smoke is normal. I don't understand the why now and not before.