PDA

View Full Version : 2006 diesel fuel

Chevy Ryan
03-11-2002, 15:06
I've been browsing the EPA website reading about emissions changes coming in 2004 and 2007. It states that by mid-2006, sulphur content in diesel fuel must drop from 500 parts-per-million (current levels) to 15 parts-per-million. Pretty drastic if you ask me. Anyway, with sulphur providing lubricity for diesel, are pre-2006 diesels going to be junk? What kind of sulphur levels are in bio-diesel?

KenZ
03-11-2002, 18:25
Chevy Ryan,

Yes, that does sound quite drastic. I'm not a fuel expert by any means, but I would think that some sort of additive would bring the fuel up to spec for older diesels. I wouldn't think that biodiesel, which has excellent lubrication qualities, would have any sulphur unless it is a biodiesel mix. I've read that you can have 100%, 50%, 20% and 5% and I guess any combination inbetween. Each having different desireable or undesireable characteristis. Right now, I think the 80-20 mix seems to be popular. Maybe some other mix if the sulphur content drops much lower.

I would love to try the biodiesel, but can't find any around Virginia--or I haven't yet. I dont' think we will be left out in the cold. Kind of like the switch from leaded to unleaded. I think everyone made it through it ok. I think there was a lot more talk about problems than real problems, and plenty of lead additives were on the market. I ran them in my old feurgeson TE-20 tractor for a long time, then stopped. I still don't have any problems running unleaded gas in an engine designed with lead in mind.

KenZ
03-11-2002, 18:31
Disregard my signature, I have to figure out how to update that. Didn't realize it was even on.

Driving 2002 2500 extended cab since November. and loving it!! Best day was when friend with new 3500 fxxd pstroke told me I left him in the dust and he couldn't catch up. I wasn't even trying to . I was loaded with wood and pulling a 16ft trailer loaded with wood. I just grinned and said yeh, it is kind of peppy, must be that premuim diesel that I put in it.

Spoolin'It
03-11-2002, 20:16
Chevy Ryan,

Sulfur is not providing the lubricity in diesel fuel. The process that lowers the sulfur content is what strips the fuel of its lubricating properties. Biodiesel has excellent lubricating properties but contains little to no sulfur. A concentration of just 2% biodiesel can restore the lubricating properties of the fuel. I wish it was available in my area, I would definately burn it if I could get it. Check out www.biodiesel.org, it has alot of information of biodiesel. Until it becomes more readily available I suggest using a good lubricity additive when this fuel starts getting phased in in 2004.