PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Updates

Redhawk
06-13-2002, 20:47
I'm going for TCM/PCM updates next Thur, so I searched the forum for info, but came up with a lot of conflictig update numbers. I have the 2-1 downshift problem and the busy shifting while in Cruise. The TSB numbers I found on the forum are:

15175854 and a Patch#K5364 0.7

Can anyone tell me which numbers apply to my truck for the problems it has? I know this subject has been done, but I would appreciate any help since I can't believe all those different numbers cure the same problem. My dealer isn't aware of any TSBs which doesn't suprise me too much, and I don't want to confuse him with conflicting numbers. Thanks.

Ironhead
06-14-2002, 09:26
Hi Redhawk, I just went through this. Service writer claimed no such part numbers exist. I insisted he research the mater as I had provided the numbers for him. While waiting for my appointment I went back to the search and found someone had listed TSB 01-07-30-034 for the excessive shift. That was the key. He then found the part# for that complaint and went on to find TSB# 02-07-30-020 for the 2 1 shift. That part# was 15172884, which doesnt match any numbers I found here.
As DmaxMaveric pointed out to me the part #s dont always match with diferent years, models and States. So Try giving him those TSB #s and see if that helps him find the updates.

Kennedy
06-14-2002, 10:23
The best thing to do, IF your svc manager is accommodating, is to hook up the Tech 2 read the programming inf, then hook to the GM database and see what is available. This changes quite frequently, and as long as the dealer maintains his databse frequently, you will have THE latest updates available.

Remember, ECM and TCM must be done individually so it takes 2 dumps to get it done.

There also may be a BCM (body control module) update that is addressing locking of doors in an automatic car wash.

On a related note, if anyone finds an update to eliminate the locking of doors after startup and closing of passengers door, lemme know as if i reach in and across, the darn doors lock up when I close the door. In winter it is no big deal as I carry an extra key/fob in my sleeve pocket, but it's kinda warm for a jacket this time of year...

Mic
06-14-2002, 10:30
John,

Your doors lock after closing?

I think you can reprogram your self. Mine donot lock until 15mph +- and all unlock when key removed. That the way I programed mine.

gardnerteam
06-14-2002, 11:21
Can someone tell us where to get programming info for the door locks? It is probably another one of those mysterious items buried in the owners manual.

Kennedy:
Put a flat (no rubber finger hold) key in you wallet. I've been locked out more times than I wish to relive, but at least I can then get back in. Also serves as a handy key to give service people, etc.

Mic
06-14-2002, 11:26
Page 2-8

Programmable Automatic Door Locks
Your vehicle is equipped with an auto lock/unlock feature
which enables you to program your power door locks.
Your vehicle left the factory programmed to have the
automatic lock feature lock all the doors when the
vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h) for two
seconds, and then unlock all the doors once the key is
removed from the ignition. The following instructions
detail how to program your door locks.
To enter the program mode you need to do the following:
1. Beginning with the ignition in OFF, pull back on the
turn signal/multifunction lever all the way toward
you and hold it while you perform the next step.
2. Turn your key to ON and OFF twice. Then, with the
key in OFF, release the turn signal/multifunction
lever. Once you do this, you will hear the lock switch
lock and unlock.
3. You are now ready to program the automatic door
locks. Select one of the following four programming
options and follow the instructions. You will have
ten seconds to begin programming. If you exceed the
ten second limit, the locks will automatically lock and
unlock to indicate you have left the program mode.

If this occurs, repeat the procedure beginning with
Step 1. You can exit the program mode any time by
turning the ignition to ON (the locks will automatically
lock and unlock to indicate you are leaving the
program mode). If the lock/unlock switches are not
pressed while in the programming mode, the auto
lock/unlock setting will not be modified.
The following is a list of the available programming options:
 All doors lock/Only the driver’s door unlocks:
Press the lock side of the power lock switch on the
door panel once and then the unlock side once. This
option is unavailable on most vehicles not equipped
with keyless entry.
 All doors lock/All doors unlock: Press the lock side
of the power lock switch on the door panel once, and
then the unlock side twice (this is the factory setting).
 All doors lock/None of the doors unlock: Press the
lock side of the power lock switch on the door panel
once, and then the unlock side three times.
 No doors lock/None of the doors unlock: Press the
lock side of the power lock switch on the door panel
twice. This turns off the automatic lock feature.
For more information, see your dealer. <<<<<<<< Gotta love that disclaimer

Redhawk
06-14-2002, 16:13
Thanks Ironhead and Kennedy, I'm going to print this out and take it with me. Sounds like it will help me and him get this done.

gardnerteam
06-14-2002, 16:25
Thank you!! I can read it, but do I need a GM script writer to explain it to me? And who is going to explain it to the people at the dealership. Actually, that's unfair because my GMC dealer is a GREAT DEALER with intelligent, helpful employees. A rarity nowdays. Thanks again.

GBurton
06-14-2002, 23:18
FYI - automatic door locks

There appears to be a difference in the way the automatic door locks operate between 2001 & 2002 models.

2001 - locks the doors after you start driving and do not unlock until you turn off the key.

2002 - lock/unlock the doors based on the position of the transmission shift lever. When you shift out of park the doors lock and when you go back into park the doors unlock. This was in a 2002 crewcab but I am guessing the the other 2002 models work the same way.

George

Kennedy
06-15-2002, 07:36
Mine lock with the selector which is a real PITA some times if I put it in gear and pull up to the curb.

Also, the most annoying thing is, again as stated, If I reach in from the passengers side and start the engine, it will lock upon closing the passengers door. I kinda like the auto lock thing, all except for this.

Guess I'll have to get a flat key as mentioned. Had one in a nifty pouch with my 96 GMC...

GMFAN70
06-15-2002, 08:58
My solution to the spare key problem is the old magnetic box. Haven't had to use it yet. In fact, I think I'll go see if it's still there and if I can find it. Don't remember exactly where I put it!!!