PDA

View Full Version : Towing WIth The Predator

Bush Pilot
07-08-2003, 19:12
I just got back from a trip pulling my 5th Wheel Trailer. I have the Predator and was running it at the 40 HP level. It seemed to work well except that both going out and coming back the check engine light came on. I whipped out my handy dandy predator and found that the code was the MAF. Seems like some one else had a simular experience a while back. Was it ever figured out what is causing it.

NWDmax
07-08-2003, 21:12
Hey Bush did the light stay on or go out after a little while?
Mine does this every time with the Juice when towing so I don't worry about it as it always goes away after a few minutes.Had it come on and stay on once for the 40 start stop cycle but not again.
I would not worry about it.
Blake

Burner
07-08-2003, 21:17
I did figure that "check engine" thing out.... Got Juice :D

Use the pred for three things --> Speed, codes and injector rate. ;)

Burner-------> :D

Bush Pilot
07-08-2003, 23:49
The light came on and stayed on until I cleared it with my Predator.

Cobra One
07-09-2003, 00:06
I tow all over Montana, up and down the 'hills' with the Predator and 12k TT. I set a ses light about every 3rd tow, always for the same 2 things, the maf (low airflow) and turbo output high. Well I have the amsoil filter in the oem filter box(no extra holes) and the waste gate plugged. I have hit 30 pounds boost when the light sets. I think the next mod is a new air intake. SES light self clears after 6 restarts or I can use the Predator. By the way--I did a short 50 mile tow the other day, no big mountains, but forgot to take the Predator out of 85hp. WOW!! Boost was 32 but temps never went over 1200. Felt like the trailer wasn't there!! Fun, but now it's back to 40hp for towing.
John

NFLDMAX
07-09-2003, 05:24
I have gotton the overboost code while towing with the predator, but easy to reset ;)

schnier
07-09-2003, 13:20
Been about a month, waiting on a program patch for the overboost code to cure limp mode, while towing.

WhiteDuramax
07-09-2003, 20:48
Schnier, you arent the only one, mine does it while on the interstate in 100hp and sometimes even in 85 hp, it is very annoying.

Gbenzx01
07-10-2003, 11:38
BushPilot,
Is it correct that the Predator can show real time turbo pressure in transit? But not turbo temp? Or both?
Now if the first of the above is true and the latter is false or vis verse can one be used in the correlation of the other? And how near to accurate could one expect it to be?
My bean counter has announced that if GM hadn't yet finished building the truck then why did we buy the thing. I told her that the 3 - 5k I need to put filters, pumps, exhaust, guages, tires, module, aux fuel tank & Little Things like that is a bargin when compared to the cost of a Mack or Kenworth.
So one, the module or the other, guage setup?

BTW, My only bush flying exp kinda turned out like the crop spraying. I could never come to terms with flying across the ground like a tractor with all that real estate above me going to waste. But the beauty of it all. Would like to get up to AK again soon. Maybe.

Thanx, Gben

Bush Pilot
07-10-2003, 20:12
Gbenzx01,

I am not sure of all the features of the Predator. My use has been limited butI am sure that James could and would fill you in.

My bean counter has been fairly easy to get along with. I just tell her its for safety or makes it easier to do the things she likes to use it for. She can see right through the BS but goes along with it.

I flew for the guys who like to use the real estate above for a while but decided I liked flying floats in the bush better. Lot better view. If yu are up this way let me know. We will get together.

Gbenzx01
07-14-2003, 19:50
Thanx BushPilot,

Sent Couple emails off to the higher-ups so we'll see what they say since we generally like to have said words in writing anymore.
Wish one of the dealers or diablo themselves would take the time to lay out the entire list of diagnostics & include a small note for each asto what it does in other than the codeverb tongue.
Abt Flying, I did finally depart form the hi alt chambers & go back to the swingwings but then when they told me the tail rotor gear box was going tobe $24k had to part ways with it. Not that hard to satisfy anymore thou, Dmax almost does it with my friends rotor ride once in a while. Still kmow where the heart is, right?

Thanx, Gben

Gbenzx01
07-15-2003, 19:43
BushPilot,
1st email reply was from John Kennedy(Prompt Response-thanx) & he tells us the Predator sees what the scan tool can see so no turbo temps or pressure although absolute(Baro+Boost) can be seen. May have to install altimeter anyway I guess sense Olelady in the mtns always, Hi hi r we now??? Jus fer fun tho...
Anyhow John concludes with, this isn't something tobe playing with while driving the truck.
Did not hear from Playwithdevel or maybe James they call him & appears Mac or anyone else has.
Rumor has it that Furd maybe trying to see if the Predator will fixx a few of their 6.0 original issues. Guess they figure abt 100 Predators for the buyback cost of one PeeStroke, who knows.

Thanx, Gben

kerry witherspoon
07-15-2003, 20:18
well i have first virsion of preditor tow in both 40 and 65 hp have never thown a code,canadian truck very happy but would like the 110 update

schnier
07-17-2003, 04:56
Well, I received an updated version, to cure limp mode peoblem, Wednesday 7/17/03, and loaded the 40 HP tow mode. I hooked up the 9,000 lb camper and hit the three medium size hills close to my house. I ran about 75mph to 72mph and it did not limp. It ran around 1150 degrees on the EGT monitor. I can say I went about 10 miles of medium hills with no problem. Friday I will hook it up again and pull 250 miles through Ky, and see what results I get. So far so good. Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks, and I will respond when I get back next weekend 7/28/03.

Maverick
07-17-2003, 21:10
Bush Pilot,
Are you gonna be around this weekend? I'd like to have a look at your Predator.

Jeff

Bush Pilot
07-18-2003, 07:37
Jeff,

Yup I will be here. Heres my Email gwebley@mtaonline.net. 376-7534

Grant

RWTD
07-18-2003, 09:00
Originally posted by Gbenzx01:
Did not hear from Playwithdevel or maybe James they call him & appears Mac or anyone else has.Gben,

Although you already have your answer, sir, I would greatly appreciate it if you would resend that email back to me. I've had a lot of issues with dropped mail from my server in the last few weeks, but that supposedely has been cured.

Thanks, and sorry about any delays/problems.

Regards,

James

jesshd
07-22-2003, 06:39
I towed with the Predator in the 40 hp tune for about 600 miles over Memorial Day pulling a 30 foot 5er. The thing that I saw that I did not like was hitting 1300 F plus on some steep grades until I kicked it into a lower gear, locked out the OD or backed out of the pedal. I have NEVER yet thrown any codes with the Predator on any of the tunes. The EGT with the Predator was average 1100-1300 with the 40 hp tune. I set it back to stock and the highest EGT that I saw with the pedal to the wood up a long and steep pull at near redline in 3rd was 1200. I have not towed with the Juice yet, but I have a long trip coming up in August and will have a chance to try it.

Jess