PDA

View Full Version : SES light and the fuel filter

SoCalDMAX
06-15-2002, 16:16
I've got just under 12,000mi on the truck in only 6 mos (how could that be?) and after sitting for 2 weeks she started right up and the tranny didn't even appear to have leaked down. On the second day, halfway to work, the SES light came on and the engine wouldn't rev over 2,000rpm, tranny seemed to be stuck in 3rd. I had an idea that the fuel filter might be the problem so I parked it until I could research more.

Based on posts here, it still seemed to be the most likely culprit, especially when I opened the water drain and air sucked into the filter. I used the priming pump and it ran great, but I changed the filter anyways (original filter.) I cheated and went thru the fender well.

Well she runs like a top again and all I can say is, what a truck, what a forum! I don't care if other people think I've been in the CA sun too long, I think it's an awesome truck. ;) I would have been shocked, angry and clueless if that had happened and I had no idea what was up. Thanks to this forum, I didn't even go to the dealer.

Sure, I have the steering rattle. (Gonna get the new bearing installed within the next month or so.) Sure 12,000mi seems a little early for the first fuel filter change. Sure it needed alignment and headlight adjustment as delivered. No one is perfect, and neither are these trucks. But I have to say, since driving it, I've NEVER been tempted to go look at another truck or felt that I got ripped off.

Regards, Steve

MudNurI
06-15-2002, 16:44
Steve,

do you think the fuel filter problems stemmed from it sitting? My fuel filter went bad- I was thinking maybe it was from the 22,000 miles it had on it at the time? The tech said- "You don't know if John runs off-road fuel do ya?"..of course, no sir I never fill it up was the answer..he seemed to think that off-road fuel gums up the filters? I seem to think it was the 22,000 miles... Glad to know your outta limp mode. Just an FYI- if it happens again to you- you can just drive EASY on the gas, and it will continue up through the gears, and not rev.. we went a week like that. Just be careful, it will be the time you find a Power Stroke that want's to play! that a bummer!

Brandy

SoCalDMAX
06-15-2002, 19:52
Hi Brandy,

I hear that the recommended interval for fuel filter changes is 15,000mi. So I wasn't too early and you actually got 7,000mi further than recommended. I don't think that sitting for 2 weeks did it, but I can't completely rule it out.

I did expect the tranny to act up, and was surprised when it went right into gear, no problem.

Thanks for the hint on how to handle limp mode, I'll try that if it ever happens again!

Regards, Steve

Flyboy
06-17-2002, 19:14
MudNurlI Does off road diesel fuel gum up tractor filters? I don't think so!! Old fuel with critters in it will. Black gooey mess.

MudNurI
06-18-2002, 05:57
I never said I agree with the tech. being cautious--- I know of 4 different diesels pick ups that run off-road fuel. A Duramax, a 6.5, a Cummings, and a Power Stroke. The only one that has had a fuel filter problem has been the Duramax. The fuel comes from the same big tank, same big truck, and are filled up the same amount of time a week. ie- every 3rd day. All of the above trucks get about 1,000 miles a week put on them, and like I said before the Duramax was/is the only one that has had a filter change. I know I was over the recommended mileage. I think the problem was that when we went into have it done, I did have red fuel, the tech saw it, being a tech that I trust, and would recommend to others, he didn't mention it to anyone other than me. I've got another 9,000 miles after that fuel filter change, we've been running "real fuel" since that fuel filter change. We're waiting till we get up to 44,000 miles to change it again- we changed it at 22,000 - so we're doing some searching for the answer, if it sends me to limp mode again at 44,000 miles, then I know it wasn't the fuel. If it doesn't, I'll see how far I get before it happens I guess. We only keep trucks for about 80,000 miles, which is just about 18 months, so I have about a year left with her.

Brandy