PDA

View Full Version : DIESEL FUELING QUESTION

mdrag
12-22-2001, 23:55
I filled up with diesel at a Flying J east of St. Louis and used the big rig pumps - more by accident then intentional since I did not notice the two diesel pumps in the auto section - they were off to the side and blocked by a few RVs.

The TFI 56 gal midship replacement tank with the fast fill fillneck handled the fill-up using the HIGHEST settitng. After it clicked off, I waited a minute or two and squeezed in two more gallons. Tried again and it just clicked so that was it - no spit back or overflow.

I noticed this large fueling nozzle had a raised metal band close to the end that fit tightly in the TFI fueling pipe - the fit was great and you could not wiggle the nozzle around. I had used the larger nozzles at other stations but had not seen that band near the end of the nozzle. Seems like it would seal off the fueling pipe and help prevent spitting.

Stopped again outside Indianapolis - not low on fuel but it was time for food and pit stop, and this time used the diesel pump in the auto section with the smaller nozzles. Same results but much slower to fill - as expected.

The diesel pumps in the auto section in Indiana had a tag on them saying something about a $0.05 tax that was not added to the fuel cost if you used the big rig pumps or had the correct paper work. I then noticed the diesel prices were $0.05 cheaper on the big pumps. I did not notice this in St. Louis, and paid the "cash" price advertised for the truckers ($0.99/gal for premium diesel)

My question: Is it OK to use the big pumps at the truck stops? Are there any unwritten "rules" that should be followed to avoid problems? Thanks.

BTW, I did not experience the fuel gauge problems described by others with aux fuel tanks where the gauge would quit working and go to "E" if the needle stayed too long on "F". I went well over 3 hrs continous driving before the gauge moved from full and it worked the whole time - still the same problem with first half lasting longer than the second half. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

mdrag
========================
'01 3500 "BIG DOOLEY" DMAX/ALLISON PICTURES (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mdrag)<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>2001 3500 LT Crew Cab/LB7 DMAX 6600/M74 Allison 1000 Series/4x4 G80/Light Pewter/Tan Leather
<LI>12 Disc CD Changer/Escalade Steering Wheel Audio Controls/Pioneer TS-C1653 Component Speakers
<LI>Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode/Dual Alts with PowerMaster 200A
<LI>TransferFlow 56 gal tank w/Fast Fill fillneck/ROSTRA Obstacle Sensing System
<LI>Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover with Carbon Fiber Pattern/TracRac Sliding Rack System
<LI>Clifford AvantGaurd4 Alarm with Remote Start/SmartWindows4/Computer Interface for MS Windows/Turbo Timer Option
<LI>SPA DG-111 Digital Boost & EGT Gauge/PIAA Airdam/PIAA 80 Pro XT Driving & 959 Fog Lights
<LI>DTA Corp Running Boards & Mudflaps/Line-X/Invinca-Shield/Center Console Mods
<LI>Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors/Tekonsha Prodigy/Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles
<LI>Future Mods Include: Alcoas, Performance Module.... etc.
[/list]

Howard Waage
12-23-2001, 01:05
mdrag and all,

I have a secondary question. Do the 2002's have filler necks that accept commercial filling nozzles? Mine is on order.

Only other info I can find is at:

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001082.html

big dipper
12-23-2001, 01:27
mdrag,
Maybe this will help...
http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001819.html

Howard,
I have had a 2001 and 2002 and they are the same. Someone else noted in an earlier post that his cc "dooley" had a fast fill neck from the factory. I am sure that the chassis cabs come with them, but I didn't think the regular bodied trucks had them.

Hope this helps guys!

BobNelson
12-23-2001, 09:04
mdrag.... It all comes down to taxes. You may avoid some of them in the big rig line, but they are usually paying a mileage rate to compensate for the nickel saved. In Oregon, the Secretary of State will send you a bill (if they catch you). Failure to pay is tax avoidance (ya can go to jail). Be carefull.

This might differ from state to state.

------------------
2001 3500 EC LS 4X4 D/A, 1999 Caribou 11J Camper
(14000 miles, 6000+ plus w/camper on and 15.25 mpg avg. Love it... http://www2.eou.edu/webcam/

dmaxstu
12-23-2001, 10:30
I have been fueling at the commercial truck stops with my 2002 CC D/A all the way from Ohio to CA usually I had to pay first but the nozzles worked fine in the OEM tank.I would always run the nozzle on slow in order to prevent foaming so when the nozzle switches off the tank is filled to capacity. Since I installed my huge tank in the bed I've joined the CFN the commercial fuelling network.This will allow me to also fuel at the cardlock places and my local suplier bills me once a month it should be handy on long trips. Around here the CFN charges about 10 cents a gallon less than the service station price so that is a nice saving when you pump 150 Gals.Stu

sonofagun
12-23-2001, 20:13
dmaxstu,

How do you sign up for the CFN network. They just set up a site near my home. I was wondering what it was all about. wouldn't mind saving a bit more when I fill both tanks.

Big dipper,

Mine is a 2001 and handles the big nozzles with no problem.

Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A olympic white, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft,43 gal
across the bed aux. tank. <A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/sonofagun
--------
1966" TARGET=_blank>http://www.picturetrail.com/sonofagun
--------
1966</A> Chevelle convertible 396 4SPD (restored)
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage, Mag-Hytec diff cover,4" exhaust.
Wish list: Whatever MDRAG does!
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!

Kennedy
12-23-2001, 20:26
The hook on the end is for semis with 4" fill openings. It hooks the inside of the tank neck so it doesn't fall out.

------------------
John Kennedy
www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)
John@kennedydiesel.com
2002 Chev. K2500HD Dmax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed Pewter/Tan LT Driving it!!!
1996 GMC K2500HD 6.5TD Ex.Cab LWB 260+ Rw H.P.
1984 K30 SRW 6.2NA Headers and custom 2 into 1 exhaust FOR SALE
'01 FXDWG Black/Chrome Yellow (2 into 1 Thunderheader &lt;naturally&gt;) (100+ RwHP)
"If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand"

sonofagun
12-23-2001, 20:26
OK

Found the CFN site http://www.cfnnet.com/
So dmaxstu how does a "civilian" become a member?

Bob

mdrag
12-23-2001, 21:29
Thanks for the replies. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

mdrag
========================
'01 3500 "BIG DOOLEY" DMAX/ALLISON PICTURES (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mdrag)<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>2001 3500 LT Crew Cab/LB7 DMAX 6600/M74 Allison 1000 Series/4x4 G80/Light Pewter/Tan Leather
<LI>12 Disc CD Changer/Escalade Steering Wheel Audio Controls/Pioneer TS-C1653 Component Speakers
<LI>Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode/Dual Alts with PowerMaster 200A
<LI>TransferFlow 56 gal tank w/Fast Fill fillneck/ROSTRA Obstacle Sensing System
<LI>Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover with Carbon Fiber Pattern/TracRac Sliding Rack System
<LI>Clifford AvantGaurd4 Alarm with Remote Start/SmartWindows4/Computer Interface for MS Windows/Turbo Timer Option
<LI>SPA DG-111 Digital Boost & EGT Gauge/PIAA Airdam/PIAA 80 Pro XT Driving & 959 Fog Lights
<LI>DTA Corp Running Boards & Mudflaps/Line-X/Invinca-Shield/Center Console Mods
<LI>Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors/Tekonsha Prodigy/Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles
<LI>Future Mods Include: Alcoas, Performance Module.... etc.
[/list]

bpep
12-24-2001, 18:52
Son of A Gun, anybody can sign up for CFN
just fill out the app. Request the booklet
for CFN locations, they are nation wide. Fuel prices are not posted but you can call for daily prices.Good thing about is they seem to move alot of diesel.

alamogary
03-27-2002, 15:35
Is there a part number for the "fast fill" pipe for the 2001 Silverado? Commercial (truck stop) nozzles will not fit my stock pipe and when I have my 35 ft 5th wheel on board, only truck stops have enough room. :confused:

mdrag
03-27-2002, 17:13
alamogary,

Transfer Flow Inc. sells (approx $88.00) a fast fill fillneck kit for the GM OEM tanks that will accept the larger truck stop nozzles. There was a topic on this in the past with a number of posts - try a search and see what you come up with. IIRC, there were mixed results from the conversion...

Here is the link for Transfer Flow:

http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html

I know from experience with my TFI 56 gal midship replacement tank/fast fill kit that the install needs to be done exactly as outlined - you need to maintain a continuous upward slope (no dips or low spots) when installing the vent hose, or you may not be able to take the full flow without overflow, spit back etc.

It really is nice putting in 50+ gals in just a few minutes... :D

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

cantravel
03-29-2002, 21:25
Here's the poop on fueling at bigrig pumps.

North American bigtrucks who operate interstate, or as in my case internationally (Canada/USA) are fueled under IFTA rules (International Fuel Tax Agreement). Each truck is issued an IFTA (it's blue this year) tag which has a discrete number. All fuel sold at the bigtruck pump is accounted for by the retailer under IFTA rules.

Purchasing fuel from these pumps typically requires a phone discussion with the fuel desk, including the DOT (US Department of Transport) number issued to the commercial carrier. The fuel retailer keeps a record of the sale to the bigtruck which can be audited later by the state fuel tax department.

The reason for all this beurocratic paper is that the fuel tax paid in the fuel purchase by the bigtruck is later distributed to the various state/provincial jurisdictions in which the bigtruck operates subsequent to the fuel purchase. In other words, the fuel tax is shared by the states/provinces according to miles the bigtruck operates.

I purchase my fuel in Ontario and Indiana. I operate in 3 additional states. The fuel tax collected in Ontario and Indiana is shared with the 3 other states based on the miles I drive in each of these states.

When you buy your fuel at the diesel car pumps, nobody cares about accounting for sales volumes, or sharing tax collected. If you buy your fuel at the bigtruck pumps, the retailer will eventually have to account for all this fuel with an IFTA and DOT reference to specific bigtruck purchasers.

Some fuel retailers will not let you fuel at the bigtruck pumps without a DOT and/or an IFTA tag. Others might not care. There may or may not be a price difference between bigtruck and auto diesel pumps. Typically, discounts on bigtruck fuel is calculated on volume after the fuel is pumped, and is not reflected in the price per gallon shown on the pump, or on the street sign.

In any event, discounts are so small even for large volume purchasers, that Duramax fuel purchasers could never save even the price of a coffee on a fillup!

Hope this helps in understanding that fueling at bigrig pumps is more involved than just the size and shape of the nozzle.

01 Chev K3500 D/A LT Crew LBx
Diesel Page Member #40

Nels
03-30-2002, 00:26
Just to add my own experience to mdrag's original observations --
I have traveled across Indiana three times since I've had this truck. When I filled up at the auto diesel pumps the counter attendant asked if I had a tax number for the fuel. I of course don't have one, so an additional tax was added to my sales receipt, much like a sales tax.

As far as the big nozzle/fill neck goes, I have used the big nozzles occasionally with little difficulty. I do not have the TF fill neck modification. The only thing I've done to the fill neck so far is to remove the restrictor and inner hose from the original filler neck. It works ok, but I have to go slow with the big nozzle. First notch is usually ok as long as I am careful to allow room for air to escape (don't block the hole completely). Keep that metal band out of the filler hole as much as possible. One of these days I'll have to cough up for the TF neck, I guess.

tbrowne
04-30-2002, 18:02
Made my first long trip with the DMAX over the weekend to Philadelphia area of PA. Averaged a way cool 21.8 mpg on the way out with just over 4000 miles on the truck. I had trouble fueling twice on the trip. Once, the large ring around the end of the nozzle stuck in the filler neck and wouldn't come out. The other time was on the return trip, wind was blowing and rain pelting me pretty good while I tried to get fuel in the tank. Both times were with the large fuel nozzle, which were all that was available at the time. First thing I did Monday morning was order a new fuel filler neck from Transfer Flow. I've never had trouble fueling locally, but I'm not going to repeat the problems I had over the weekend either.

motovet
04-30-2002, 23:43
The CFN commercial fueling is the way to go. Not to often does a bill of any kind excite me,but I have saved an average of $.40 a gal. since I joined. Last statements highest price per gallon was $.89 and most stations want $1.30 or more around here. Fresh diesel is another bonus.

3-Fan
05-09-2002, 14:14
CFN around Columbus, OH want about $0.08 more a gallon than Pilot or Flying J. Must be the location I am in.

Redhawk
05-13-2002, 11:54
I use CFN when I can locally, but on a trip from CA to FLA and back towing my fiver, I used truck stops because they were easier to find and the price was right. Most if not all truck stops had low volume pumps, side by side with the high volume ones, to fit RVs and pickups no questions asked.

To me using CFN and trucks stops is the anoumt of room for trailers, etc, the best price and pretty good assurance that you are getting fresh fuel.

I had to use a high volume pump yesterday and it burped about a gallon back when I took the nozzle out. I must have done something wrong. My.02