PDA

View Full Version : Stock air filter totally blocked...

DMAXDiva
06-15-2002, 20:47
I would'nt have believed it if I had'nt seen it with my own two eyes...

Went to replace the stock air filter with a new K&N unit, and the entire surface area of the filter was clogged with insulation! Yep, good old spun fiberglas insulation. It looked as if the snorkel had sucked up about a pound of the stuff. I don't know where in tarnations that could have come from, but my suspicions are that it came from the factory that way. I guess there's no way to prove it, but it sure was a shocker. I'd advise anyone who has not yet checked their air filter to do so immediately! My truck only has a little over 5,000 miles, but I'm sure kickin' myself for not checking that filter before now! :mad:

GrayMax
06-15-2002, 22:35
Don't rule out pesky vermin - they love to build nest inside of air intake assemblies.

GBurton
06-15-2002, 23:19
DMAXDiva

That is NOT "good old spun fiberglas insulation". It may look like it but that is what is left after you squeezed all of the "juice" out of the fruit using the "edge"
:rolleyes:

Sorry but I could not resist.

George

DMAXDiva
06-16-2002, 07:24
GrayMax:

Yeah, that's what I thought initially, but after close inspection of the stuff, there was no "organic evidence" of itty bitty mammalian activity...(yes, I went on a "turd hunt", I admit it tongue.gif ). I don't know where else it might have come from, but I'm beginning to think that GBurton is correct...

It must be a buildup of that pesky pulp from freshly squeezed JUICE! :D

Diesel to the MAX
06-16-2002, 07:32
Hey DMAXDiva,

Look and see if you have any insulation inside the fender well behind the breather box. They add that in 02, you might had just sucked the darn thing off. It's worth a look.

Redhawk
06-16-2002, 14:15
I checked my filter awhile back and noticed that the foam gasket that fits between the fender and the air box had been sucked into the chamber. I'm just glad I wasn't standing next to the air box when it happened. The stuff wasn't wasn't fibre glass but maybe the 2002s are different.

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>

cmadmaxman
06-16-2002, 21:24
The sticky shiny stuff that GM put over the holes in the inner fender will and does come off by its self. Mine came off and blocked most of the oppening of the air box. While in BC we took off 3 more before they (and one had already) found their way into the air box. It is not fiber glass. My truck at times sits between trips (thats hard on me :( ) so I installed a large mesh (1/8 sq.) stainless steel screen over the openings to keep vermin from making a nest with my filter. My 01 was produced the end of the 01 model year and was the second air box style. No snorkels, and the mastic applied to the inner fender.