PDA

View Full Version : Whine at certain throttle positions

Carli_max
03-13-2002, 19:47
After installing my pyrometer last saturday, my wife says she hears a high pitched whine coming from the passenger side of the truck. I am unable to hear it (ears are the 2nd thing to go :D ) Anyway, the sound was confirmed by a friend of mine that was riding with me today. Doesn't do it all the time, and it's not the turbo. Truck is running fine, no symptoms. Was wondering if it could be the adjustable temperature probe in the exhaust manafold? ie. the temp probe is causing a turburlance in the manafold that is causing this high pitched whine. Doesn't do it when idling. Any of you folks hear anything simular to this after installing the pyrometer?? I was thinking of pulling the probe out of the manafold more to see if it makes any difference. Any thoughts??

Bmacs
03-13-2002, 20:12
Carli_max,

I have the exact same problem! Did you install ISSPRO guages? I did - And the cab has been filled with a gawd-awful whine since. I think the noise comes from the signal conditioning boxes (the green ones), but I'm not 100% sure.

I will be placing a call to DIS (after I do a little more troubleshooting) to see what's up :(

SDWA
03-13-2002, 21:12
Could be the air conditioner compressor - I have personally heard the same sound on two trucks. It will appear with use of the A/C or the windshield defrost mode. To test this idea- turn vents to floor/panel (no defrost) and manually cycle the compressor by pressing the A/C button and see if the sound appears/disappears when you turn it off. If that's it, there's nothing you can do about it... :(

Scott

bearman
03-13-2002, 21:26
I have that wine to, but only at WOT. The whine is comming from the passanger seat. It's the old lady :D :D .
But seriously, good luck with your problem.
Cheers
Bear

Carli_max
03-14-2002, 06:25
Bmacs,

Yes, they are ISSOPRO gauges. How long ago did you install yours? Does yours sound like its coming from the passenger side. My signal conditioning box is double backed taped to my emergency brake bracket. Maybe I'll poke my head down there with the truck running to see if I can hear anything. Bmacs, if we had F**D or D**ge's, I probably wouldn't have had to start this thread :D Let me know if you find anything, and I'll do the same.

Thanks,

Carmen

Bmacs
03-14-2002, 08:38
Carli_max,

I put in the gauges about two weeks ago. I disconnected power to my pyros this morning - sound GONE! Plugged them back in - sound is BACK! I thought it may have been a leaky turbo boost connection, but it wasn't.

The sound appears to be coming from everywhere in my truck - so that means it's kind of LOUD. It's a VERY high pitched constant tone. Sounds like ISSPRO has a circuit in their box that runs around 18-20 KHz. I'll call DIS and maybe ISSPRO today. I'll post what I find out.

You're right about the truck, though - I bet the PSD and Cummins owners have the same problem - THEY JUST CAN'T HEAR IT OVER THE NOISE! smile.gif

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Bmacs ]

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Bmacs ]</p>

theNUT
03-14-2002, 08:45
Did you have any cheese with that whine? :D

theNUT

http://members.aol.com:/sirnutimus/DURAMAX/MY-D-MAX.htm

www.nutindustries.com

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: theNUT ]</p>

Amianthus
03-14-2002, 08:48
Yup, all that noise. Whining noise that is, as we go sailing past you uphill. ;)

Seriously, conditioning box? Never seen one. Never needed one. Don't have one. I understand how it works and why it's there, but just don't see the need. And just so you know, I have ISSPRO gauges also.

Bmacs
03-14-2002, 14:44
Carli_max,

Talked to DIS today. ISSPRO is aware of the noise and they are working on it. They claim that they don't know the cause, and therefore don't have a fix yet. I will keep checking the DIS website as they said they would post the resolution there when ISSPRO makes it available. :confused:

needbigtruck
03-14-2002, 15:47
Installed my gages a couple of weeks ago but haven't drilled the hole in the mainfold. Waiting for nicer weather. I have the probe just near the manifold for now. Thought the noise was coming from the boost gage somehow. Seems louder when first starting out then I don't notice it. Probably just used to it. Isspro has our e-mails, Maybe they could contact us all that way if there is an improvement.

Kennedy
03-14-2002, 18:33
Isspro is aware of this, and a fix is in the works. The thing is, it seems
some people's hearing is more sensitive to this than others. They are
working diligently for a solution, and hope to have one soon. Insulating
does not help. In some cases a replacement box will help, but quite often
not.

This pertains only to the EV style pyrometers with the inline signal
amplifier, and the sound is generated by the transformer inside.

Of course, the GM trucks' quietness makes it more prominent.

Carli_max
03-15-2002, 06:30
As I said I can't hear it, except when my wife is in the truck, then I hear her whine :D
We'll have to stay on them (Issopro) for the fix. Thanks for your responses.

Needbigtruck, is Sodus NY near Lake Ontario? My cousin just bought a boat in Sodus Point from a place called Krenzer Marine. Just wondering!

Amianthus
03-15-2002, 09:21
I use a K-Type (I think that's right) thermocouple in my rig. No amplifier, no signal processing, nothing. I'm just curious as to why you guys are getting the EV style.

Texasoilman44
03-31-2002, 11:16
Hooked up my gauges yesterday, same problem as you all. I sent an email to ISSPRO, if I hear anything back I'll let you all know.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Bmacs
05-25-2002, 16:41
I pulled my screaming ISSPRO sig conditioning boxes out about a month ago. Sent them to ISSPRO so they could fix them. They just sent sent me two new ones along with paperwork that says "EV Pyro amp box to replace defective units".

So I just installed my two new boxes and......

They are BOTH SCREAMING!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Time to call DIS and dump these turkeys!

mackin
05-25-2002, 21:09
AUTOMETER ...........Work real well , look real good, Quiet as a dead duck ............
MAC

tongue.gif

JEBar
05-26-2002, 05:22
Agree with Mackin...Autometer EGT & Boost gauges nice and quiet...only problem, 1st Boost gauage showed 13# at idle!!!....replaced it the next day and new one if fine :D