PDA

View Full Version : Mega Filter

FirstDiesel
03-23-2003, 18:39
Installed the JK Mega filter today.Working on the fuel lines at the pump and the stock filter is no fun. :(

I did have a little trouble getting the hoses as tight on the fittings as the directions require. I ended up with about 1/8" gap from the plastic ring. I'm sure these are tight but I'm the worrying type and wonder if I should add a clamp to these fittings.

Any reason why I can't add a clamp to these fittings??

technician
03-23-2003, 20:38
FirstDiesel,

I just finished installing my new Mega-Filter kit this afternoon as well. I installed the hose ends by holding them in a vise and dribbling a little oil on them. They went right on. If you add a clamp might want to tighten it lightly because the barbs might cut through the hose and develop a leak. Otherwise how bout that filter :D that puts the Mega in Mega-Filter :cool:

NWDmax
03-23-2003, 23:47
Mine came with clamps and the online instuctions say to crank em down tight!
I did that and no leaks or problems at all.Sure feels good knowing that fuel is clean!
Blake smile.gif

FirstDiesel
03-24-2003, 05:44
Blake

The clamps I got were for the the engine end of the hoses. I'm talking about the filter end.

technican, figure that we'll need a small crane to remove that puppy when it's full!!!

I added the rivit nuts to the fender mounts like some else suggested. Really like the idea, worked well.

Did anyone get the mentioned foam tape with there kit??

I have a little fine tuning to do on my install before I'll be happy but had to make do as I was getting a sore back from bending over into the engine compartment and a sore throat from the outragous pollen yesterday. :(

jbplock
03-24-2003, 06:42
I also did my (post OEM) MegaFilter Install this past weekend and I agree that getting those OEM hoses off was a bit challenging. I also put clamps on the push-lok fittings

FirstDiesel
03-24-2003, 15:46
Bill

I think I'll go back in and add a clamp on the hoses too. I noticed the same thing with the hose turning. As for the routing of the hoses, I really never could figure out how JK was saying to route them. The pictures were a little weak. I just ran the hoses so the bends were smooth and they weren't in the way of anything moving.

technician
03-24-2003, 16:49
FirstDiesel & JBPlock,

The barbs on the filter houseing ends are tipped toward the threaded end (like a fish hook) I think this is so they won't back out.
I have used this type of fitting for hydraulic return lines with no problem at all :D

PS: no weather strip for me either....

Kennedy
03-24-2003, 17:01
Routing around the EDU is pretty tough. The key here is all you have to do is connect point A to B while keeping free of moving parts.

I haven't been including any foam, and from the looks of mine w/o the foam, it isn't much of an issue. I just figured about the time I omitted mention, someone would run 100k on a filter and rub a hole in the can...

I've been looking at some constant torque clamps to maintain tension. I recently swapped out my non production unit with a later unit, and just for grins I added a pair of these clamps as well. The barbs on the fittings are pretty darn aggressive, and I doubt they would leak, but I now have clamps that will not loosen up.

NWDmax
03-29-2003, 13:19
JK included 4 clamps so I used them.
I believe I'm getting my best town only mileage since installing the Mega.
I'll let you know!
Blake smile.gif

NWDmax
03-29-2003, 14:13
Best mpg before Mega in town driving 13.11.
After install 13.58 mpg.
Hot juice in level 2.
Truck has 17,600 miles and I'm not sure if it's fully broken in yet.It just keeps getting better! :cool:

ardmore
03-29-2003, 16:41
jbplock,

Sure would like to see those pictures of your installed Mega unit,

Thanks,

ardmore

jbplock
03-29-2003, 21:23
ardmore,

I posted some pics at http://community.webshots.com/album/67970835fahHeh. The only place I deviated from John’s instructions was the way the (post) OEM to MegaFilter feed hose is routed under the turbo inlet pipe. I also used some split heater hose and tie wraps to secure and protect the fuel hoses. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

ardmore
03-29-2003, 21:56
jbplock,

Thanks, your pictures are great.

ardmore smile.gif

wangotango
03-29-2003, 23:48
jbplock----

great pics thanks for post

I'm curious that you may want to cover your turbo inlet after removing air filter intake tube.

Or am I seeing something else.

w/t

jbplock
03-30-2003, 06:53
wangotango,

Good Point about the covering turbo inlet!!! :eek:
I had the inlet covered with duct tape during the installation. I removed the tape and took the picture just before reinstalling the turbo inlet hose/pipe. Cleanliness is very important when working around the intake and the fuel lines.
smile.gif