PDA

View Full Version : About to buy

Tim Richardson
07-10-2003, 22:27
Like the subject says, I am about the buy. I am sure I will have a lot of questions in the future but for now, I would like to start with these...

1. Trailer Pkg option. From looking at the ordering guides, I must get this to have a hitch receiver, and brake harness. Is this correct? Since I am not ordering, and I find a truck without this option, this means I will have to get a hitch reciever installed? This doesn't make sense on a truck that is intended to tow. Also if I get this package, what is required to get a brake controller hooked up besides getting the correct harness, and plugging it in? Any work under the hood required?

2. When I was first considering a Ford, one of the complaints (and there were many) was that the transmission temp gauge was worthless. By the time the needle started moving, your transmission was already toast. Is the guage for the duramax any better, or would I still be advised to get an aftermarket trans temp gauge?

3. Since I am not ordering, is there anything else I need to be aware of, or look out for when I try to locate a truck?

Thanks in advance

Tim

LA DMAX
07-10-2003, 23:15
Tim,
Glad you're considering a DMAX and glad to see you on this board. I'll do the best to answer your questions, you'll probably get more posts regarding them which is a good thing here.
#1a: Yes
#1b: Yes
#1c: Some may want 5th wheel or gooseneck and may not need a bumper puller. Just my thought.

#2: From a post I read in the drivetrain forum regarding allison temps just the other day, someone said the gauge was off, how much? Im not sure, but I don't think it was alot. It's probably not the best gauge you will ever own but I feel it gives a close representation of actual temp. You may want to consider an aftermarket gauge if you're going to be doing things that would cook a tranny.

#3: Make sure you get what you want. That is the main thing. It your $$$. If you're not ordering, you might have to compromise on certain things like: power/heated/memory seats; power/heated mirrors; cloth vs leather; cab config; dual or single alternator, SRW vs DRW just to name a few. The list has an end but it's long. If you're concerned about longevity of things maybe get an extended warranty.

Again, your $$$, so get what you want. If time is on your side, be pickey.
Hope it helps.

On edit: Forgot one thing, don't pay sticker price, there many good deals waiting for you out there

LA DMAX

[ 07-10-2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: LA DMAX ]

Victory Red
07-11-2003, 03:41
I agree with LA, get what you want! I short changed myself with the shorty and have regretted it since about day 5(the day i bought a new couch and brought it home). It's much 'cheaper' to buy the options now then to trade up later because you decide you really needed/wanted this option.

D'Max_2_DA_Max
07-11-2003, 05:46
Tim,
I just purchased an 03 Chevy, CC SB D/A and was surprised by one thing the dealer mentioned regarding the extended warranty that caused me to go for it when I typically might not. I wrote dealer not stealer because of it too! This dealer will refund the entire extended warranty fee if not used. It is not a GM option, it was the dealer's way to overcome the objections to buy the exended warranty because so many consumer advocates think they're crap. When you find your truck and get the best deal, and they are out there as mentioned here, see if the dealer will match this deal on the extended warranty. The other thing the finance guy that usually presents the extended warranty mentioned that made me decide to go with it was, "with all the computer gear on this truck it wouldn't take many of those repairs to eat away at the $$$ for the extended warranty." Good Luck finding what you want/need!! :D :D

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-11-2003, 06:09
Originally posted by D'Max_2_DA_Max:
Tim,
I just purchased an 03 Chevy, CC SB D/A and was surprised by one thing the dealer mentioned regarding the extended warranty that caused me to go for it when I typically might not. I wrote dealer not stealer because of it too! This dealer will refund the entire extended warranty fee if not used. It is not a GM option, it was the dealer's way to overcome the objections to buy the exended warranty because so many consumer advocates think they're crap. When you find your truck and get the best deal, and they are out there as mentioned here, see if the dealer will match this deal on the extended warranty. The other thing the finance guy that usually presents the extended warranty mentioned that made me decide to go with it was, "with all the computer gear on this truck it wouldn't take many of those repairs to eat away at the $$$ for the extended warranty." Good Luck finding what you want/need!! :D :D I hope you got that in writing on the contract, or else if you have used once your out the refund.

They also pro-rate those-if you cancel it out, say a 5 year warranty with 100K miles canceled at 3yrs and 60K miles you get a portion of it back.

Good Luck to you.

Hey with an extended warranty start modding it. :eek:

GMC ;)

biker Wayne
07-11-2003, 06:48
On the subject of receiver hitches, I have a dissenting opinion. I have heard of a few guys bending the OEM hitch. I bought my truck off the lot when it was going to take 3 to 6 months to order one. I had a Curtis Magnum V hitch put on. It is so much beefier than the OEM, its not even funny. If I had it to do over again, I would put on a Reese Titan V 2.5 inch receiver. They are rated to 14,000 pounds and 1400 pound tongue weight. They also sell a sleive to reduce the receiver to the standard 2 inches.
To hook up the brakes, all you need is the wiring harness (that my salesman gave me for free) and fuse (either 30 or 40 amp). There is a plug for the brake controller under the dash. There is a wire loom with all the wires already installed on ever truck back to the spare tire. All you have to do is cut the tie strap, buy the GM 7 round connector and fasten it to the hitch. Poof, done! smile.gif

D'Max_2_DA_Max
07-11-2003, 19:18
GMC-2002_Dmax,
The dealer did actually put it in writng, and it wasn't something they did special for me, it is their standard offering. It applies only to the extended warranty and extends the complete bumper to bumper coverage. If something needs warranty during the first 36,000 it's covered by the standard GM b to b warranty and doesn't count towards (or should I say against) the extended warraty refund. If you reach the extended warranty mielage or time without using the extended coverage you get the entire premium back in full, no pro-rate. This refund offer is idependent of the GM extended warranty and over and above any other rights you may have, i.e. pro-rate for early cancelation. This dealer is doing this to differentiate them from their competitors. If anyone is buying a new truck it might be a good idea for them to at least ask their dealer to match that kind of deal. If anyone wants the dealer's name and number to get all the details to hold your dealer's feet to the flames, email me and I'll send it to you. Also, they have a pretty good stock of D'max's in stock if anyone is having difficulty finding what they want. :cool:

TBC
07-11-2003, 22:17
As many dealers as there are in the DFW area you should be able to find a truck like you want. Try Classic and Durant Chev. They have big selections. I bought at Classic and have bought several vehicles there and have always gotten a good deal.

The trans gauge is fine. The temp follows the engine temp as it should. If I remember correctly all 2500HD's come with the tow package which includes the hitch and wire harnesses.

The Chev or GMC with Duramax and Allison is a smart choice for a truck. I love mine and have done minimal mods but love the ones I have done.

Tom

dmaxalliTech
07-11-2003, 22:29
I do like the extended warr from a cust stand point, I dont know which one they are offering you but GMPP is a good one, its part of GM and seems to have good coverage. Lets add this up...
Tranny installed 3500-4000
rear end 1000-1800
transfer case 2000
front diff 1200-1500
misc module...100-1000

agree with everyone, buy what you want now, its cheaper. Dont pay sticker what ever you do
good deals now on 03's

Tim Richardson
07-13-2003, 10:22
Originally posted by TBC:
As many dealers as there are in the DFW area you should be able to find a truck like you want. Try Classic and Durant Chev. They have big selections. I bought at Classic and have bought several vehicles there and have always gotten a good deal.
Tom I will have to try those two places. Classic is in Grapevine, but I am not sure where Durant is located.

Saturday I went to Hudiburg in Fort Worth, and was not happy. The lady that was helping me was completely clueless. It started after I told her exactly what I was looking for, and she looked at me and said "Crew cab? that's the four full size doors right?" Then we were driving around some of the back lots looking for a truck and when I told her none of these trucks are duramax's, she looked at me, and said "How can you tell they are not duramax's just by looking at the side?" Then to top it all off she said that she believes they might have a 1500hd with the duramax.

So I believe I will be avoiding that place

Tim

oyazi
07-13-2003, 16:59
I fell for the full warranty premium refund. Didn't wash. The carrier informed us that they've never heard of such. Its good for them as it decreases frivilous claims in hopes of return ~ then eventual denial. Can't say thats the case for you but it was for us ~ and I'm suspicious that they teach that at the car sales academy.

TBC
07-13-2003, 21:27
Tim

Durant Chev is in Granbury and is the same owner as Classic and same family as Jerry's in Weatherford. Good folks to deal with but they all probably have one the jerks like Hudiburg. I have had a similiar thing happen at a Dodge dealer a few years back.

Go to the buy GM website and fill out the stuff you want and it will tell you who has one.

Tom

Aggie '91
07-13-2003, 21:39
Tim,

My wife works at Lynn Smith Chev in Burleson, and I know that she knows about the D-Max, because I just bought mine Friday afternoon! Not trying to "push", but you can contact her at 817/295-1102 (Lynn Smith Main number)

Ask for Marsha Sparks. She works in the internet sales dept & always quotes internet prices (normally very low).

Like I said, I am not pushing, but if she can help . . . . She will be in Mon PM & Tues all day.

Aggie91

D'Max_2_DA_Max
07-14-2003, 20:55
OYAZI wrote: "I fell for the full warranty premium refund. Didn't wash. The carrier informed us that they've never heard of such."The reason the carrier never heard of such is because it is/was not the carrier making the offer to refund the premium, it is/was the dealer. I know it's difficult to believe because we have all experienced the stealer rather than dealer but I'm happy to say it does wash at this dealer. smile.gif