PDA

View Full Version : Lucy,you got some explaining to do !!!!

mackin
03-23-2003, 19:00
What ta HE!! Is this =>http://www.pbase.com/image/14632329 :confused:

Nope not a urine sample.....That is my fuel that came out of my filter..... :confused:

Now I know it went in clear...I got this fuel, like it matters, from a high turn around, above ground tank, OVER PRICED, Mobil station a week ago....

Running Total Power, so what is all that free standing water?? Why isn't it emulsified??

Todd'ster you been relieving yourself in my tank haven't you?? HAVEN'T YOU !!!! ??

The rest of the PICS can be seen here.....

About 8K on filter =>http://www.pbase.com/mackin/filter&page=1

Every PIC with brown back ground is this filter change.....

So what do ya think ,sell ??

On a Brite note:
Truck runs marvelous then and now.....Just fueled up on Premium with Total Power....Idling next to a Super Clean rumbling 350 90 ish RS Camaro white, my drivers door was open, he was peeking and not speaking...I couldn't resist, left the station sideways .... OH YEA !!!!! :eek:

MAC :confused:

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

56Nomad
03-23-2003, 19:11
mackin.......

me thinks you need a pre filter. maybe a
couple of um :D

technician
03-23-2003, 20:26
Mackin,

I just this afternoon did a Mega-filter install and decided to change my OEM out for a fresh one. Drained filter into a clean container and :eek: what to my wondering eyes should appear but un-emulsified free standing water same as your's. :rolleyes: I too run Total Power every tank full @ 2X recomended treatment ratio. I dunno what's up? I don't even live that close to Toddster :D tongue.gif :D

Maybe Kennedy has sum insight......

PS Mega-filter install went well. Nice kit!

Vette Racer
03-23-2003, 21:46
I think you all have a loose filter!! :D :D

NWDmax
03-23-2003, 23:39
Mac,you not only urinaled you spit your chew in it too!
I figure the water is encapsulated with a protective layer so it would have passed just fine?
Seriously I got no clue and JK where are you?
See ya,Blake :D

mackin
03-24-2003, 05:39
RUT ROW....

All symptoms appear =&gt;http://www.bp.com.au/fuelnews/ADF0907.pdf

I got da mousse,da pee color.....

Either they have switched to a summer blend or they have some tank problems I believe.....

Course of action ??

Bring filter and urine sample to Mobil middle eastern fellow and threaten to shoot camel parked out back ??

Run some anti-fungal ,shoot camel just cuz......?

Run some anti-fungal,never buy fuel there again??

Where are the fuel experts,my MAX may be suffering??

MAC :eek:

RATDOC
03-24-2003, 05:52
Mackin-
Does that particular Mobil do repairs as well??
If so, I'd INSIST that they remove your tank and clean it out PROPERLY, or give you the money to have it done elsewhere..........this is where holding that gun to the camel's head might help!!!! smile.gif
I'd also go there with a container of fresh diesel for them to put into the tank once it's all clean.....so ya don't need to use their "seawater"!!!! With a little more "stompin' and cussin'" they could also be persuaded to replace your filter as well...........perhaps holding that gun to 2 camels would be more effective!!!!
Gimme a shout ifn' ya need a "trigger man"!! smile.gif
Tom

GMC-2002-Dmax
03-24-2003, 06:47
MAC,

I know diesel is getting up there in price......come one now, you and Toddster should have paid attention at Maggies :eek: . They have restrooms ya know ;) .

Me thinks a pre and post filter are in my list of spring things to do.

I would ask the nice man at the station if he has a camel, cause you'll be walking soon........so don't shoot 'em yet. :eek:

Nice JOB!!!!

GMC ;)

Hey, on another note, when is the next meeting.

L8Ter :D

Kennedy
03-24-2003, 08:49
Looks like you guys are getting large volumes of water. This is easily corrected IF you overtreat the heck out of your fuel. When large concentrations of water appear, it takes a lot of additive (or a seperator) to remove it. First thing I would do is look for a bottle of FPPF Fuel Power and treat the snot out of the tankful, OR drain it out and put some clean/dry fuel in.

Fuel power will emulsify water at a 1:1 ratio, so if you want to experiment, drop a couple oz into the sample and mix it up. Should disappear. If you have free water, you apparently have been getting more than an oz. or two / tank :eek:

FWIW, Fuel Power is the base for Total Power. The Cetane, and other ingredients are added to this.

May be time to look for another station...

Technician,

Keep an eye on the drain area of the Mega unit as well. The media is a water repellant type and should tend to catch anything that passes the OE unit.

mackin
03-24-2003, 09:19
Went and grabbed a fuel filter from my buddy he was not concerned about color....Only Offered up that he says it just was a poor quality has seen it before, he owns a trucking firm...Nevertheless there was a lot of water present......

Forget the camel jockys,I'm on my own...They sell gas,crappy diesel fuel, and cancer sticks.... No garage....They wouldn't take responsibilty anyway....How would I pove last place of purchase ??My only option would be the dealer, who needs to open that Pandora's box....Do it myself, and I just filled the tank last night...

John I'm running Total Power and slightly over treat at each fill....When you say over treat, by how much ?? Whole bottle(s) ?? LOL

Think I need some KILLUM ??

MAC :(

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
03-24-2003, 11:18
Mack,

I'd run some Fuel Power (it's more concentrated) to clear things up and see what happens.

While that is pretty obviously water, it would be nice to verify this by adding some Fuel Power and seeing if it disperses to verify that it is...

mackin
03-24-2003, 16:16
JK

Will do ....... ;)

I'll take a rack, share with my diesel buddies.....

Need it for my next tank, this week, as I have more then ample Total Power in there now...... :eek:
I'll give it a shot of Fuel Power and change my filter again see if it will clear on it's own....

Currently no negative running issues....As in hard starting, sputtering,stalling,or performance that I can tell.....

MAC smile.gif

On edit: This will make you crindge,my buddy with a 02, 32,000 "ORIGINAL" fuel filter !!!!!!! :eek:

Travels from New Hampshire to North Carolina to Florida......Talk about a mixed bag of fuel.....

Yes he has spares complimentary of me.....

I think he has himself a built in 2 micron by now ......

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
03-24-2003, 16:22
As cheap as the Fuel Power is, a guy could dump 1/2 or even a whole bottle per tank and tie up a full 8oz of water!

I think if you were to sample your fuel, you'd really see how bad it is...

technician
03-24-2003, 16:40
Well Mackin & JK,

Just read todays imput. Guess what? I fuel at the same station all the time & it just so happens to be a Mobil :eek:
Most likly a coincidence :rolleyes:
I think I will try to start fueling at a different station for awhile, dump the Fuel Power to it, moniter my Mega-Filter and hope that between the Total Power, Killem, and the Fuel Power the ole girl clears herself out :D

On Edit: JK, Thanks for the insite about filter media in the Mega-Filter! :cool:

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: technician ]</p>

FirstDiesel
03-24-2003, 16:52
Okay, rookie question here.

If you open the drain on the OEM filter will it be water if it drains anything??? I drained the filter the other day when I installed the new Mega Filter and I got a small amount coming out.

I've been using Rotella DFA in every tank. This is the first time I've opened the drain. This filter has about 3k on it.

technician
03-24-2003, 17:03
FirstDiesel,

The liquid that drains out of the filter is a combo of fuel & water (if any present) the idea is that water sinks to the bottom (fuel is lighter than water) then you just drain out enough to remove the water present.
When changing filters you should open the air bleeder on top of filter houseing (after wiping clean) to vent filter for draining.
I always use a clean container to drain into. That way I can see if any water is present.
Hope this wasn't too long :D

Kennedy
03-24-2003, 17:04
Opening the filter drain on the OE OR the Mega filter will yield dirty side fuel and any accumulation of water etc.

I suggest pumping up the primer to build some pressure abnd push it out the drain.

FirstDiesel
03-24-2003, 17:35
I guess the point is that could you in theory get just fuel out the drain??? Or if something comes out does it mean there has to be water in it??

I guess you have to let it sit and see if it seperates??
I'm pretty sure I did get some water out of it yesterday which makes me unhappy. I can't control where I buy my fuel as I'm never in the same place to buy from but I was hoping my additive was doing the job to help with the water. Guess it wasn't. I'm switching to the a Total Power and Cetane mix from John K. Hope this is better.

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

NWDmax
03-24-2003, 22:02
Hey Mac,did the"water in fuel" light come on?
How long after fill up did you notice?
Just curious. :D

DmaxMaverick
03-25-2003, 02:30
To answer the "Rookie question".

The "water drain" valve will drain whatever is in the filter, be it water or fuel, or both. If you just open the valve and watch it, you may get a couple drops, at best. You must also open the bleed valve at the top to relieve the vacuum in the filter, allowing it to drain. Be sure to place a container under it, or use a length of hose attached to the valve. The best way is to do it like JK says, pump it with bleeder closed. This will "help" any solid particulates that may be near the drain find their way out, and you won't have to bleed it when you are finished.

mackin
03-25-2003, 04:38
NWDmax

Wonder if I still have that WIFL with the Escalade cluster ?? HHMMM

Pretty sure it's there but I'll check it out.....

My belief is with that type of float switch the bottom of the filter would have to be near full or full of water to trigger illumination....

I can't recall anyone ever getting the warning...As I didn't this time either.....

My truck was at a quarter tank when I changed the filter....So I ran near 250 miles of swamp water thru the system.....That evening I fueled up at a different source as I had to be some where early the next mourning.....

Would have been nice to drain off the balance but at this point hope for the best.....

When I have the filter off this weekend or about then, depends how much driving I do after putting in the Fuel Power, I'm testing that WIFL see if it works .....My assumption that the float must be all the way up the rod (pin) to trigger is probably correct..That would be about 5/6 oz of water at least.....

MAC

JEBar
03-25-2003, 04:49
Mack ... any "fluid" added to your tank by those you've so capably named above could easily have a reasonably high alcohol content .... if that is the case, may explain your Black Beauty's continued tire smoking performance ... just think of it, you may be on the cutting edge of introducing alcohol injection into a diesel system :D seriously, do hope you get this figured out and taken care of ASAP ... Jim

Luis
03-27-2003, 19:48
I'm going to jump in here. Two months ago I replaced the filter, got the Killem from JK, and started adding w/each tank. Seemed to work good. The other night (2500 mi. later)the WATER IN FUEL light came on for a split second, then again two nights later and stayed on for 4 seconds. Got home and opend the drain and bleeder valve. NOTHING came out. Removed filter and drained into a clean container. (brother has digi camera will take pic later) Fuel was two colors and made an obvious separation between the two. Normal light gold and dark reddish brown. I could see the little bits of water droplets as well, but what was causing the float to rise and not allowing the fuel to drain out was the large amount of slime; it looked like 1/2 a square section of toilet tissue that was dissolving in the fuel. Truck was running good and after the change seems to run better. I guess that KIllem works pretty good. I hope I caught it in time and most of the bact. is gone.

Diverguy
03-28-2003, 13:44
Hey Mackin;
That is one of the dirtiest filters I have seen next to one that has not been changed intentionally for a few years. After six months my filter is a light grey colour. Are you able to change stations? Can you get access to the C.F.N. network?

MABurns
03-28-2003, 14:40
Not positive, but I do not think you have the WIFL anymore with your wanna be Caddy panel Mackin.

mackin
03-28-2003, 18:45
"Not positive, but I do not think you have the WIFL anymore with your wanna be Caddy panel Mackin."

Dam That's a low blow !!!!!!!! redface.gif

I don't know about that, as the Wait to start "light" is there.....The message appears in the Message center.....I'll be testing it right soon....

MAC

mackin
03-28-2003, 18:56
Diverguy

I buy my fuel primarily at the stations.....All of my filters that I chopped opened looked like that....Now that I eliminated one, I'll check my next one, see the difference.....
I would like to add additional filtering capabilities But I want to feel out my dealer first.....It's an expensive proposition either way you go, to add face that possible back lash, or not, create premature injector failure......

MAC

Kennedy
03-28-2003, 19:52
Mack,

I haven't tried it yet, but typically, the Tech 2 can go through and turn on the dash warning lights. Maybe your dealer could check. I've got mine hooked up in the shop duping a card so I'll check when I go out.

The otherway would be to test when you have the filter out, OR just jump the pins. I am ASSUMING that it is merely a contactor in the float, but jump at your own risk... :eek:

NWDmax
03-29-2003, 07:20
Mac I'm confused,have you read your sig lately?
With all the other goodies you got on your rig that scream"deny warranty service" why are you worried about a little(mega)filter?
Have you ran that last tank of ****y looking fuel out yet?
Any ill effects?
Blake tongue.gif

hoot
03-29-2003, 07:29
The assy that screws onto the bottom of the fuel filter has a ring magnet on a shaft that "floats" in water. As it rides up the shaft, it either uses "hall effect" or there is a micro magnetic relay inside the shaft.

Mackin, make sure the wire is hooked up.

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Wally
03-29-2003, 07:52
Another observation: Don't buy fuel from above ground tanks! Because they are subject to ambient temp changes and they must breathe and the amount of condensation that forms on the walls of the tank is much worse than a below ground tank where the temp is much more stable. Most stations will not change their water separator/filter often enough to keep it from letting this moisture get into your tank.

mackin
03-29-2003, 15:01
Ya I'm done with that Mobil.....Funny thing is it was owned by a Tanker/Fuel Oil Delivery Company and they use to fuel all there trucks there ......It has exchanged hands now, and yes sir it's in the hands off, well you know.....

I'm still on the tank that had a quarter of swamp fuel in it... I want to refill, run Fuel Power thru it and then change filters....I will cut it open to see how dirty it Is..Will then hook up float switch and test out my "WANNA BE" ..... :eek:

NWDmax

Ya I seen my SIG, just imagine what I haven't told ya all !!!!!

At this point it will take me a day to prepare a visit to the dealer.....

I have lost faith in my dealer since the conversation about the OD lock out...Foremen told me, thru a third party, the service writer, after "they" did some reserach,to drop it down a gear ..... :( This while there was 03's in their lot.....

I'm not concerened with cosmetics or tires,or exhaust,gauges.....Just "everything" else.....

So before I plum, cut, or anything in between I want a handshake acknowledgment from them.....Do to contamination factors, I want to put a secondary post OEM filter on and forgetaboutit......

MAC :D :D :D

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>