PDA

View Full Version : "Engine coolant"

310-MAN
03-24-2003, 08:57
What would cause engine coolant to run out the rubber hose next to plastic fill container? This just started all of a sudden. John

a64pilot
03-24-2003, 09:22
John,
A possibility is a blown head gasket. Try looking at your engine oil, sometimes when a gasket blows the coolant can get into the oil also.
It is evidenced by higher than normal oil level and the oil probably will turn a milky color.
Depending on where the gasket blows is what determines where the oil or coolant goes. Either way your dealer can pretty quickly diagnose or rule out head gasket failure.

chuntag95
03-24-2003, 09:43
Leaking around the injector cup seals can also give the same results. Regardless of which they find it to be, get it in now and tell them to check all of the cylinders for coolant.

mackin
03-24-2003, 09:49
310-MAN

Year and miles ??

Good luck, hopefully something simple....

MAC

310-MAN
03-24-2003, 20:55
I started the engine this morning & it took at least 25 min. of driving before the coolant temp. came up to normal. When it did , it came up all of a sudden. After a few min. of driving the "LOW COOLANT" light came on. I then put in very little coolant to fill it. I drove for a while & everything indicated normal. I have an appointment with the dealer in the morning & will inform you of the outcome. Thanks John

Alli-max
03-24-2003, 23:57
Welcome to the club!!!!

I am pretty sure i have a blown head gasket too. Shockingly, just out of warranty (110,000 miles)

I add coolant, and 3 miles down the road the light comes back on. I can drive for DAYS still. I add every other day. Some days, it is OVER the hot level. Go figure. I have been to the dealer twice, spent $750 on a hose replacement once, and then a water pump (combined of course). AND, this was with 2 different dealers with their self proclaimed "diesel techs" working on it. What exactly does GM do to make a guy a "diesel tech"? Send him a book? :rolleyes: :mad:

310-MAN
03-25-2003, 20:48
Drove the truck to the dealer this morning & told them what was going on. Four hours later they said there were hydrocarbons in the coolant, caused by exhaust getting into the coolant. They are obtaining special dye tomorrow to see where they are comming from or where the blown head gasket/cracked head/block is. The truck is a early 2001 with 48,000 miles on it.There was no sign of coolant in the engine oil as far as I could see on the dip-stick. Thanks for your replies. More later John

Maverick
03-25-2003, 23:21
Sounds like my truck. Mine is an early 01 also and needed 2 head gaskets at 85,000 or so last Sept. Never had coolant in the oil or in the cylinders. The bad head gasket allowed the combustion gases to enter the cooling system and pressureize it and blow all the coolant out the overflow hose till the light came on. I paid my $100 decuctable and all is well so far at almost 120,000 miles.

a64pilot
03-26-2003, 08:11
Maverick,
What was the $100 deductible for? Wasen't the engine still under the 100,000 warrenty?

Kent Tuttle
03-26-2003, 08:36
I think once we are past the 36K mark a $100 deductable applies.

Maverick
03-26-2003, 14:00
Yep!......Kent Tuttle wins a prize.

If its a head gasket, you'll be the 8th person I know of with an early 01' with this problem.

More Power
03-26-2003, 14:41
Mav,

It would be helpful to know the details surrounding the "8" instances of headgasket leaks.

1- Did the owner use any performance products? If so, what were they and how were they used?
2- How was the truck driven in the hours, days and weeks prior to discovering the problem? (i.e. pulling heavy loads, light-duty driving, hot-rodding, etc.)

MP

hoot
03-26-2003, 15:48
That's a good point MP cause BROKER runs stock and puts 100's of thousands on them routinely with no head gasket issues but pulling all the time.

mackin
03-26-2003, 16:30
Gulp .....

MAC :D :D :D

dmaxalliTech
03-26-2003, 19:45
Alli-max, to be a proclaimed 'diesel tech' at a dealer, you are usually the only one in the shop that can stand the smell of diesel exhaust or your low man and you get stuck with it :D :D

As far as headgasket failures go, we havent see any yet, but have had numerous failed injector cups, I have found them, when faulty, to introduce combustion gasses into cooling system.

Seriously, as far as being a gm diesel tech goes, The Duramax introduction made it neccesary for gm to update their training program in regard to diesel engines. They have added "Diesel engine performance 2001" which covers the d-max. There is approx 8 hours of video, sattalite, and cd based training, then their is a two day hands on class. I will be attending this the first of May. After all of that is completed, there is an assesment test to take, which seperates the techs from the 'diesel guys' at the gm dealer level. I would ask your dealer how far his 'diesel guy' is trained..

310-MAN
03-26-2003, 20:05
More on the story.....Today the dealer is having problems finding the leak/blown gasket or whatever using the special dye. They said that they were talking to "GM" about this problem. In answer to some of the replies about the truck from some of the members. Its an early 2001. I pull a light 24.5' 5th wheel. I don't baby it, but I don't race it either. The "LOW COOLANT" light has come on twice before this last time, but I thought nothing of it & it didn't take much to fill it. The truck has never run hot. I just put ---ce on it, but the low coolant light came on before I added the ---ce so I don't think that had anything to do with it. MORE LATER JOHN

mackin
03-26-2003, 20:23
John

Do you know your build date......

Mine is 05/01..... When you guys say early, you mean first run as in January or earlier like "HOOTS TRUCK" ,right ??? tongue.gif

Swallowing hard here ...

hoot
03-26-2003, 21:15
I think mines a Feb 2001 build. Bought it in April 2001.

We would be seeing a whole lot more head gasket issues on this forum if there was a problem. Remember, these forums will draw the people with problems. Relax.

Maverick
03-26-2003, 22:11
Jim,
Mine was purchased March 23, 2001. I was boxed on mine. The other two up here I physically seen with my own eyes. One in Anchorage shop and one in Wasilla shop. Don't know any history on them, just what was being fixed. Thats three. This one "might" be four. There were two others on this web page. One had a cracked cylinder because of it and had his engine replaced. I know some history on this engine but promised not to tell. This motor was an early 01 also. The last two are from people who contacted me via email with the same problems. One was juiced he said. I don't know these last two people and was only relaying info by email. One of these last two was from Florida. I can't remember which one. You all know as much as I do now. I don't know anymore details if they are pulling anything or hot rodding.

Alli-max
03-27-2003, 00:11
dmaxalliTech:

What causes this.... I will get up in the morning, and the light will be on or off. Later in the day, it will go back and forth from on to off. If I look at the holding tank, and it looks low, I will "blow it" and release pressure. Maybe 6-8 ounces overflow. Other times, it is actually FULLER than the last time I added (???). Gets pretty old looking at the temp every 2 miles down the road. Already spent close to a grand and still the same thing. Is it time for a G2 yet? :mad:

mackin
03-27-2003, 04:48
HOOT

I was just busting ya.....

I remember when MAV had his problem ..I believe there were three back to back on the forum.....

If it turns out you play YOU pay so be it ........Won't stop me .....What is weak will becomme stronger, what can't, will be replaced ..... ;)

mackin
03-27-2003, 05:02
Alli-max

Have they tested the coolant yet for hydrocarbons ??

Has anyone priced an out of warranty cost to replace ??

160 bucks for gaskets,$1200 labor both banks.... The book calls for 12 Hrs labor warranty .....Standard nearly 17 hours.... :confused: That's nearly 3/400 bucks labor difference......

Figure shop supplies misc. Couple G's.....How far off am I ??

I'm starting a piggy bank !!!!!!

I have vise grips adjustable wrench and a BF Hammer ...Stop by Alimax next time your out East.....

[ 03-27-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

310-MAN
03-27-2003, 06:58
I can't say when the truck was built, but I bought it in Jan. of 2001 & the VIN # is 1GCHK29191E229043. Thanks John

Alli-max
03-27-2003, 10:20
mackin'...

Nope on the hydrocarbons. At $3400 I will keep adding coolant until I accidently drive into a lake. :D the explicit hammer sounds goood!

Oh well, it will still run. Matter of fact, gotta go get so' more coolant in a bit. :rolleyes:

Jim:
Yes, have an older version of the Juice box, but when you compare my driving to some on here, I am your Grandma on Sunday afternoon. I am towing very little, but semi heavy when I do (trailer + boat = ~6900 lbs., but this is only recent)

Another funny note. I drove a round trip to the Carolinas a couple of months ago, and NEVER had to add coolant. Half of the trip was with the boat on there (2200 miles total). REALLY strange. You would THINK it was maybe a sensor, but my levels fluctuate. Totally confused as are 2 dealers.

glclary
03-27-2003, 11:02
Build date on mine was 12/19/2000....

In the old days when I was a very destitute teenager,if I started loosing coolant we used pour the radiator full of "Radiator Stop Leak".
'Reckon that would work?.....Just kidding....Keep us posted.

Regards,

Lee smile.gif

Maverick
03-27-2003, 11:39
Hey Mac,
You'll need to add 2 complete sets of head bolts. Your old ones will be junk. Add Dex-Cool also. Don't know how many gals we hold. Can't think of anything else just yet. Just be sure to get the casting code off your head so you order the right gasket. There are 3 different head gaskets for our engine. On the front side of the passenger head is a tab with a stamping on it. The marking looks like a Tylenol headach capsule(sp). Inside the capsule will be 2 circles, 1 circle, or no circles. They call these circles "holes" in the GM parts book. They will ask if you need a 1 hole or 2 hole or no hole gasket. The thickness is different for each gasket as the top of the block is not the same height on every block. If you put to thin of a gasket in you risk having the piston hit a valve. Don't think it would run very good after that. :rolleyes:

[ 03-27-2003: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

310-MAN
03-27-2003, 18:34
Today the dealer called @ 3pm & said they are in the process of taking both heads off. They are still having trouble finding the cause of the problem. There saying it should be done by next week. I still love this truck !!!! John

dmaxalliTech
03-27-2003, 19:55
310, your truck was built on 12/22/2000. You purchased it from Fairbanks Chevy in DeSoto? I see you have had all your work done at Parkland Chevy in Tacoma WA. Did you ever get your oil consumption deal figured out? I show a delivery date of 1/22/01 with 26 miles on it.

kerry witherspoon
03-27-2003, 20:03
Well guys since the advent of coolant recovery systems i have seen many trucks mysteriously loose coolant,where presure test good,no hydrocarbons in oil,dye test no leaks,well solution i have found bad rad cap,lets system push warm coolant out will not alow any back so air enters at a fitting each time warms up a small amount of collant pushed out,now dont shoot me but sometimes the simplest problem is over looked because it could not be that must be more serious. my thought as a wrench bender.

FirstDiesel
03-27-2003, 20:12
Isn't that unlikely in the case of the DMAX?? Since the radiator cap is on top of the overflow tank any expansion into the tank has to go back into the radiator since there is nothing stopping it, right?? Or do I not understand how this cooling system works.

Lone Eagle
03-27-2003, 21:40
Maverick, Why did you say the head bolts would be junk? Later! Lone Eagle

Maverick
03-28-2003, 00:05
Lone Eagle,
Head bolts can only be used once. When they are torqued properly when installed they will accually stretch a little. They would be prone to breakage if used again. You should always use new head bolts for any engine if the heads were pulled.

rrocket
03-28-2003, 01:26
On the subject of coolant, does any body know if the new Cat coolant would be compatable with our trucks?
Thanks

310-MAN
03-28-2003, 17:19
dmaxallitech....You are right & no it still burns oil (about a quart every 1,500---2,000 miles) When its cold out in the morning ( 35 or lower) Blue smoke exits the exhaust until it warms up. John

310-MAN
04-01-2003, 15:16
UPDATE ON "ENGINE COOLANT" The heads are removed & they found one of the head gaskets was leaking. The head is "Etched" where the leak was & they are going to replace it with a new head. The head was "NOT CRACKED" If I was going to do the work, I would have cleaned the head up a little & used it over again. Just my 02 cents. John