PDA

View Full Version : Serious air filter coming soon

saywhat
07-12-2003, 19:30
August issue of Trailer Life magazine has article on Superfilter available for Ford Powerstroke and coming soon for the Duramax.Uses its own housing and draws air from outside engine compartment.The element is a dry paper design developed for the heavy-equipment industry and made by Donaldson.The price will scare away the faint at heart,$429 retail and $34 for replacement element.Could be well worth the cost for serious off-roaders.Manufacturer has website,uniquemetalproducts.com

mackin
07-13-2003, 06:17
What and he!! ....Looks like the are incorporating the ill famous Tornado concept with aircleaner..... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

http://www.uniquemetalproducts.com/ump3.pdf

Their inventive to say the least ......
=> http://www.uniquemetalproducts.com/photos/ump22b.jpg

Mac :D :D :D

Searay90
07-23-2003, 16:29
That filter element (with the swirl fins and all) looks exactly like the one I use on my 1966 Farmall 656 tractor (whopping 63hp). I guess IH was ahead of its time incorporating the "tornado" effect into its air cleaner elements!! :D

The swirl fins are really there for a reason on the tractor. It is designed to cause a centrifigul effect on the dirt entering the air cleaner housing and causing the heavier dirt particles to settle out on the container. There is a "dump" tube with a one way rubber valve (about 2" in diameter) coming out of the bottom of the filter housing. When you shut down the motor, the dirt falls out the bottom of that valve... I don't farm with the tractor so I really don't know if the thing actually works as intended, but that is the theory behind the design.

I guess I'll save myself the $400 and swap the one out on my tractor to the DMAX ;)

gene smith
07-23-2003, 16:54
caterpillar calls them turbulators, been around for a long time, my green an yellow machine has one olso

svpdiesel
07-23-2003, 17:19
From a performance standpoint, swirling the air around is the last thing you want to do- swirling makes it travel a longer distance before it gets to the engine, and heats it up on the way. Some racing engines have honeycomb in the inlet tracts to STOP the air from swirling...
On heavy equipment, it does help centrifuge the dirt out of the airstream, and performance is not much of an issue. :D

SoCalDMAX
07-23-2003, 17:33
UMP is only a mile or so from my house. They make all kinds of cool parts. This area is a hotbed of offroad racing teams and all of the associated fabricators that make all of the chassis and related parts. Just about all of the teams running in the Baja races run UMP air filter systems. Kinda odd to see a huge cylindrical air filter housing mounted in the passenger compartment.

Mirage Racing explained to me that the huge Donaldson paper filters they use on even the small 1600cc VW engines filters the air very well, and since they're so huge, flow rate isn't a problem. After every race, they send the filter out to get cleaned for $10 and if it's used up, they buy new for about $32.

Of course race car stuff isn't cheap, they don't sell very many. The rear hubs on my sand rail are used on Baja race trucks and cost $4500/pair. It has huge Timken bearings (supposedly the same as on a 1 ton truck) and they spec Chevron EP2 grease, designed for use in earth moving equipment!

I'm interested to see if the Uni air filter is any better or worse than the Amsoil foam filter.

Regards, Steve

MaxRock
07-24-2003, 12:38
My Yanmar diesel tractor has the same type of air filter. You know, that filter swirls the air so much I thought I had a turbo the first few times I used it! :D

MaxRock

LA DMAX
07-24-2003, 22:57
saywhat,
I've been talking to Cliff at UMP about that filter for about a year now, kept bugging him to make one for the DMAX since all I ever saw on their catalog was one for the PSD's. He told me a couple months ago that it would be comming soon. The price is high but if you have ever seen their quality, it's 2nd to none. As soon as I get some extra $$$ I'll be ordering.
Later

LA DMAX