PDA

View Full Version : New to 6.5 bought one, high miles, ?

markmartin
12-10-2003, 19:40
Just bought me a 98 Chevy 2500 Silverado, its super clean and looks like it was well cared for. It has 172,000 miles on it. Everything seems to work well on it and I have the oil changed today in it. Is there anything I should check on it with cold weather coming as I know nothing about the previous service records on it. I put two new batteries in it and the anti freeze is ok. Its an automatic. Thanks guys,

Mark

I am loving it so far

gwaidman
12-10-2003, 20:48
Mark, cheers on the purchase and welcome to the diesel world. As long as everythings tight, I wouldn't worry about the miles, lots of us have 200,000 plus and no worries. Exept for the typical things that go. You will pick up on those as you read the topics. Two new batteries are a good start to cold weather, and general running of the 6.5TD. Make sure that you have good corrosion free connections on the terminals. This and a few bad grounds can cause a lot of grief.
Keep reading the forum and you'll get by fine.

DAVE FERENCZ
12-10-2003, 22:42
If you get black smoke on start up in cold, glowplugs. Truck that high needs new ones. If your lucky already done. Good luck.

markmartin
12-11-2003, 05:34
I do get some black smoke on crank up (its about 30 degree's here lately in the morn) It cranks ok and fires off quickly but it does spit some black smoke at first. What do you think? This is my work truck and it HAS to be ready when I need it. I think I saw on a post here where the BEST glow plugs run about 80$. This wouldnt break the bank and if it means NOT standing in the cold and freezing my $#@%'s off , well you know, your from Canada.... I am trying to get in touch with a previous owner to see what service has been done on the truck. I bought it at an auction so this might be difficult. ; Thanks for your input. Mark

Spindrift
12-11-2003, 07:12
Two weeks ago I installed a new set of JK's glow plugs, with the exception of the #8; that's a job for this weekend. Like clockwork, we then had a real cold snap (for NJ, that is) 18 to low 20 degree weather in the morning for about a week. She fired right off each morning with no problems. The burban also has two new batteries. No smoke at all.

rjschoolcraft
12-11-2003, 07:56
I just installed a set of Kennedy Quick Heats in my truck on Saturday. The #8 plug is easy to get to through the wheel well. I pulled the wheel and splash cover off and all 4 plugs were easily accessible.

I found problems with the wiring on #4 and #6 (the center ones that go in through the manifold). the jumper wires from the main harness had melted down and likely shorted out. I'm sure that this is why the truck had been starting hard since cold weather came. Well, starting hard is a relative thing. It would quickly fire as usual, but it was clearly missing and would belch lots of white/blue smoke... unburned fuel. I replaced the connectors and with the Quick Heats it fires right up with minimal blue smoke in the cold.

markmartin
12-11-2003, 18:39
Actually I noticed this morning when I cranked up, it was about 25 degrees, It puffed a little smoke but it wasnt BLACK it was white/blue smoke and only for the initial start up. OH I did have it plugged in to 110. What temp do you guys start plugging the heater in? Thanks

Mark

Marty Lau
12-12-2003, 15:44
Plug in temp varries, if your from the south plug in below 40 degree's up here in Montana 40 degrees can be nice so I don't plug in unless it's going below 15 or 20 degree's.

rjschoolcraft
12-16-2003, 10:10
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also removed the turbo down pipe. The #6 plug was inaccessible otherwise.