PDA

View Full Version : engine cuts out from stop

durahaulin
03-26-2003, 17:54
Hello, I've been a reader for a while. I decided it was time to join in. I have the hot juice 4.61 and the amsoil oily cushion. I've been having a problem every once in while after I make a stop and start off again. It cuts out like you turn off the key then it takes off again. The other day I had it die out completly and had to resart. There was a little bit of oil down in the grids of the bottom of the air box and a little bit of film of oil on the MAF. One thing I might mention is that this seems to have started after I fueled up in Flagstaff, Az at small Chevron station but may just be coincidence. I changed the fuel filter just before I left for Az. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

mackin
03-26-2003, 18:18
durahaulin

Welcome to the Forum....

I think you may of answered your own question.....

Since you said that the problem occurred after fueling....

Assumption is you had the Juice and Amsoil on for a while without an issue....Oil in the air box waffle on the bottom of airbox is no big deal...Oil on mass air sensor should be cleaned up with a type of CRC electrical cleaner just watch out make sure it is OK on plastic ......If it were real bad you would through a SES....

I would try and pump up your fuel filter primer and bleed off the water drain and see what you get in a clear container.....Since you haven't stated your running any sort of fuel additive maybe your just filled up with a bad tank of fuel ...... Water can raise havoc..... I am going thru a bit of an issue right now...Thankfully no running/drivability issues....

Good Luck

MAC

durahaulin
03-26-2003, 20:04
Thanks Mackin, I had a feeling I'd hear from you first. After being just a reader for a while I've read your replies to other posters. You guys are really entertaining here. You've got me LOL many times. Thanks for the info and I'll try that. This forum is very informative and I'm proud to be a member here.

Thanks,
Bill

dmaxalliTech
03-26-2003, 20:13
dura-, welcome aboard. You might not learn anything here but we are entertaining,just like you said, I have never stuck with something so long on the internet, wife has to kick me off computer sometimes. There is a lot of people on TDP that know what there talking about, that probably why I like it, always picking up a tidbit of info here and there. Enjoy

durahaulin
03-26-2003, 21:25
Dmax-Ali thanks for the welcome. Don't get me wrong about entertaining. Everyone here are informative with a side order of entertainment. Thats what makes the forum fun and interesting. I hope I can help other people by learning about my problems.

Thanks,
Bill

durahaulin
03-26-2003, 21:32
P.S.
I sometimes think I need to buy and hide a computer in the garage so I can get my own personal time on the computer. Sometimes gettin' on the computer is like waiting in line at IN N' Out burger.

Oongawah
03-26-2003, 22:48
Haha,

My son is trying to kick me off right now. I just hope he doesn't try to knock me off later. I'm pretty much a newbie here, but welcome anyway, Chuck. :D

durahaulin
03-27-2003, 00:28
Thanks for the welcome Oongawah, I know what ya mean. With kids sometimes the tail wags the dog, At least around here anyways, Bill

SoMnDMAX
03-27-2003, 01:32
Dura Haulin, as Mackin suggested- your problem may be fuel related, but- I'd like to see you try another thing-

Make sure all of the pins on the Juice harness are fully inserted into their plastic housings- it may be possible one of the connectors or wires has wiggled it's way out, and is giving an intermittant connection. Also, unplug the Juice and check for any corrosion or bent pins in the connectors. There have been some drivability problems similar to this caused by the problems I listed above.

Welcome to the forum!!

durahaulin
03-27-2003, 09:12
Thanks, SoMnDMAX for the help. I will also check this. It's just strange that it just cuts out when I take off from a stop :confused:
Although it did give me SES when I just crested a grade with my fiver. I was thinking it might have been a overboost and not related. Is there a way to get a blink code off these D/A's or do you have to use a special scan tool? I am afraid to take it to stealer, The code might be to much torque or horsepower,LOL.
Thanks,
Bill

SoMnDMAX
03-27-2003, 09:17
Bill, unfortunately there is no way to get a blink code. Since the inception of OBD-II diagnostics, this feature has gone away. The only way to get codes is with a scan tool.

Has your truck ever had any PCM or TCM firmware upgrades done? From '01 till now there have been a bunch of updates to the systems to address certain drivability problems.

[ 03-27-2003: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

durahaulin
03-27-2003, 09:29
SoMnDmax, I did take it in for a oil leak at the transfercase tail shaft seal and while it was there I told them to do the updates. I gave them the symtoms of loppey idle and transmission business. I'm not real sure that it was done though. I put the juice on it right after I got it back so I don't know if the juice took care of the business because of the added power. Is there a way to tell if it's done. These stealers can't be trusted in what they say and what they do :mad: Can they do all the updates in one flash? I know the TCM/PCM are done seperatly.
Thanks,
Bill

durahaulin
03-28-2003, 08:43
Well, I tried the drain the fuel from the filter thing. The fuel was clean, no water or dirt. I guess I'll proceed to unplugging juice and checking for bent pins or corrosion. I thought for sure it was fuel related because I fueled up yesterday and right afterward it started to act up again. The time before when I fueled it acted up also. I wonder if I could have some debris floating around in the tank and when I fill up it moves and it's blocking the fuel pickup? We'll see. Just a update.

Bill

floridadmax
04-06-2003, 21:20
I had same type problem. sent it to dealer about 300 miles before warranty went out and had them install up dated air box and air flow meter. Have run 2000 miles trouble free. I also run amsoil filter and juice. Real bad deal when you stop and start to go and it stalls and catches back up or you have to restart to go and it stalls 3 or 4 time more. good luck/

mark45678
04-08-2003, 15:14
durahauler....when your restarting it after it stalls is it a hard start or will it start up normal? my next question is after it stalls does it have full power on juice of is it back to stock power? If I had these answers I maybe able to give you more help! smile.gif

durahaulin
04-09-2003, 00:44
Mark, It starts right up again like nothing ever happened. At first I thought it was fuel related, pulled sample(No water,Dirt) Then I thought I had something in the fuel tank because it seemed like every time I filled up it would act up. But, Just the other day I took a 60 mi. trip with no trouble. After I got home the truck sat about 30 min. then I took a 5 mi. trip and it sputtered and spit about 4 or 5 different times and stalled once. That killed the fueling therory. I sent an em to John Kennedy and he wanted me to send him the Juice so he could check it out, So I did today. Man, There ain't nothin more depressing than driving your truck without the Juice after you get used to it. I thought my floormat was caught under the throttle pedal. Anyway,I drove the truck today without the Juice and it's been fine so far. As far as after re-start it does seem a little less powerful but not stock, although I tend to nurse the throttle after it sputters so it won't completely stall. I have visions of towtruck?

floridadmax,
Did your truck act up with and without Juice?

Thanks,
Bill